phpBBmobile theme for Mobile Users

This forum, details the Terms of Service as well as any announcements by staff. This is also the place where users can ask general questions or raise discussion about the site itself.

Re: phpBBmobile theme for Mobile Users

Postby Ney » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 am

I remember installing phpBB 3.1 to test almost a decade ago.. and they still haven't finalised it. So yeah, they look pretty far behind. If they did create their own app, though, they'd need to create an entire new team to handle it plus multiple teams to head up Android, Windows Phone and iOS devices to use it. Unless they went for a SaaS based app to handle serving up the data - and that could become costly. Theming seems like the only logical way to go at this point being open source.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 am

That was exactly what they said.

I'd love to see phpBB get a complete reboot with a whole new set of people from the top down. As much as I love the system the whole regime needs a serious cleaning out and refresh.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Ney » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 am

They need Leto II up in there to do some house cleaning!
ahaha.

Yeah, I've worked on some open source projects and I can attest to how hard it is to get change to happen inside of them mainly because once you build yourself into a certain position you can't just privatise your code and make money from it (even if it is just to support your cost). Personally, after perusing the code it looks too bloated now and does just need a complete re-work from the ground up.

However, I do give them a lot of credit - I learned a lot about how to write "clean code" because of that project.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 am

That was the whole reason I started the flavianGroup stuff. Software has become way too bloated. I'd love to see a set of tools that was completely modular so people could do whatever they wanted with it. I suspect someone will eventually do it but so far nobody has.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Ney » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 am

You'd probably fall in love with SCRUM and Agile development, then. That's exactly the approach that is taken when developing and including all stakeholders 100% of the way while releasing software in usable, testable form reliably and often. It certainly has changed the field quite a bit; that and the SaaS/MVC models.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Previous

Return to Policy & Communications