The economy is soooo bad....

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

The economy is soooo bad....

Postby Captain Obvious » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Fill in the blanks.

The economy is soooooo bad (how bad is it?) that when I called the suicide hotline, it had been outsourced to Pakistan. They proceeded to ask me if I owned a truck.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Re: The economy is soooo bad....

Postby Ney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 am

The economy is so bad that I'm asked for a quarter at least once a day when getting on the subway.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby soxtalon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:00 pm

The economy is so bad that the homeless guy outside Price Chopper has set up a class on "How to effectively panhandle"
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Sarc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 pm

--Keep the tax rate at 35%, but eliminate tax loop holes as well as create a cap for total deductions. A lot of people get caught up in the actual "percent", if the rate was kept at 35% yet loopholes were closed, REVENUE would increase, more so than if the actual percentage was just increased to 39.4%, capping the total dollar ammount that could be deducted would also be wise.

--I'm nowhere near the $250,000 threshold, so it doesn't concern me, however I am smart enough to know that the cost of living is not the same as Iowa. California's house prices obviously are higher etc....wages are higher in Calif. but expenses/costs pretty much cancel that out. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people who make $260,000 yet don't feel "rich", not paycheck to paycheck....but not rich by any means.

--Raise Capital Gains tax rate from 15% to somewhere between 20-24%. A lot of the big multi millionaires income isn't based off a weekly paycheck obviously, they get their income from their investments (dividends) which is taxed differently than earned income that you and I pay. Though it if is raised to the proposed 40%+ It could also potentially make someone with a lot of money just decide it's not worth it and keep their money in an account versus actively investing in stocks/companies.

The only drawback is that you can't raise it to high otherwise stocks will take a high and lose value, plus regular people own stock as well, not just millionaires. I own 800+ shares of stock in US BankCorp which pays dividends, and paying the proposed 40% just wouldn't make it worth it to the small investor.

--Don't touch F'ing Social Security....this is NOT an entitlement program.

--Revamp the Postal Service. Cut Saturday Delivery, rework the pension/benefit program

--Drastically go through the welfare rules/regulations. This is supposed to be a "helping hand", not a way of life that goes on forever and ever.

--Immigration reform. I would "Like" to let anybody and everybody come into this country, in a perfect world I would say have people go through a year long process/application and if approved hey that's just more tax revenue because more people are paying into the pot. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is just far to high, I don't want to hear any excuses along the lines "they are just doing the jobs Americans won't", that's BS. As of right now they soak up jobs and don't pay taxes like if they were a legal citizen. So as of right now I don't want illegals here, if the unemployment rate hits 5% then we start letting people in and none of this it takes 10years BS to become naturalized, I mean WTF??? That's part of the problem. To sum up, no illegals till unemployment is at 5% or under and let's make it an easier process.

--Voter ID Law......Voting is a right, but far to many times I hear Democrats/Republicans bitch about voter fraud, it comes from both parties. Solve the freaking problem by requiring an ID. That way both parties can quit bitching.

--Health Care Act......Doesn't affect me, but I think it's BS that the government call "tell" me what to do and "make" someone do something. Nancy Pelosi likened the Health Care Act to having to buy Car insurance. Hey that's a great analogy, but you know what, you aren't required to have car insurance if you don't drive a freaking car, how does she not get this???? I hope I'm wrong, but from my 20+ years of being in management/retail and dealing with numbers/sales/wages/costs etc.....I am thinking that a lot of companies are going to keep employees hours down. This will kill fulltime jobs IMO. Though the good news is there will be a shitload of part time jobs.....(that's sarcasm btw...)

--Term Limits......No more career politicians. President 8yrs, Senators 12yrs (2 six yr), House 12yrs (6 two yr) terms. Also need to drastically reduce their pay and benefits. I'll get more into this in a topic dedicated solely to this. I think if the Public knew the pay/benefits they would be outraged.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Sarc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Oh, almost forgot Military spending........we should cut back....BUT...not like all of the detractors want. This past week has seen China launch a jet off an aircraft carrier and just today it is reported that North Korea is set to test launch a long range missile capable of reaching US continental territories. Now granted our navy is still great, but to those who claim that this is a different era are just fooling themselves. China and North Korea are indeed threats, along with Iran. Russia could also come into play depending on what our policy would be towards China if/when the time comes.

We can cut back, but please.....use common sense and know that even though conflicts have changed since WWII that doesn't mean WWIII is never going to happen. We don't want to get caught unprepared. Also keep up the drone strikes.

Everybody's favorite past time is bashing Bush for "two unpaid wars", I honestly think people, especially the very young adults who don't remember 9/11 that well, have forgotten what that time was like or no real memory of that era. I feel safer today because Bush pulled out all the stops and went balls out in trying to eliminate all terrorist organizations. He and his cabinent are just as much responsible for Bin Laden's death as Obama's is. Bush laid the groundwork with intel gathering, Obama kept it up and gave the order for the hit, they both deserve equal kudos IMO.

I do get pissy when I hear the whole "WMD" excuse, best available intel was that there were WMD's, people bring that shit up all the time, nobody wants to talk about Obama saying that on the anniversary of Sept 11th one of our consulates was attacked because of a movie. Really? If anybody actually thought that on the anniversary of 9/11 a movie provoked an attack you are insanely stupid, sorry not going to sugarcoat that.

So to sum up: cut military spending, but let's not get overdo it.

Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Sarc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am

One other thing I'd like to point out to the "tax the crap out of the companies shipping jobs overseas".

I can tell you from firsthand experience that the government has so many rules, red tape, employee taxes, that they have forced companies to ship jobs overseas so that they can actually compete. The ammount of paperwork and forms companies have to fill out when hiring someone is an absolute joke. I understand people just see jobs leaving and want to blame the company, but you have to ask yourself why is the company doing it? The company has to stay competititve, the government has so many rules and regulations that it is not cost effective to manufacture in the US, doesn't anybody blame the government or question why it's cheaper for companies to build an item in another country and THEN ship it here?

The economy does much better when govt has a limited role.....companies would hire here if the govt would just stay out of the way.

Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Captain Obvious » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:58 am

Damn Sarc, I don't remember you posting like that in the podium. Maybe we should bring that forum back. :-\ That is a post that could be split into about 10 threads, but still fall under spending.

The economy is sooooooo bad that I went to file for unemployment and got panhandled by the person taking the unemployment application from me.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 am

The economy is soooo bad that people forget that four years isn't enough to make everything shiny and happy again.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Captain Obvious » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 am

The economy is sooooooooo bad that people forget what they were elected to do, but still blame the guy in office 4 years ago.

ok I'm off to fight club :p
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am

The economy is soooooo bad ...

.... that Obvy is off to the FC ...

... oh wait, that happens even when the economy is good. :))
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Captain Obvious » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 am

Touché, my friend. Touché.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 am

Some things never change, brother. B-)
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Captain Obvious » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 am

Actually, a few years ago, it would have been. "Douche is your friend, use it."
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Captain Obvious » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 am

Sarc wrote:--Keep the tax rate at 35%, but eliminate tax loop holes as well as create a cap for total deductions. A lot of people get caught up in the actual "percent", if the rate was kept at 35% yet loopholes were closed, REVENUE would increase, more so than if the actual percentage was just increased to 39.4%, capping the total dollar ammount that could be deducted would also be wise.

Why not just take all of the tax levels back to where they were under Clinton? Democrats say that was the magic number where the economy was booming. The trouble is that they don't bother to tell you that the government would have to cut 37% of its spending to get the same budget, and even then, with the workforce dwindling there isn't enough of a tax base to do much with.

Sarc wrote:--I'm nowhere near the $250,000 threshold, so it doesn't concern me, however I am smart enough to know that the cost of living is not the same as Iowa. California's house prices obviously are higher etc....wages are higher in Calif. but expenses/costs pretty much cancel that out. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people who make $260,000 yet don't feel "rich", not paycheck to paycheck....but not rich by any means.

I heard on the Huckabee report today that $250k a year lifestyle in Silicon Valley, CA is like $60k in Ft. Smith, AR.

Sarc wrote:--Raise Capital Gains tax rate from 15% to somewhere between 20-24%. A lot of the big multi millionaires income isn't based off a weekly paycheck obviously, they get their income from their investments (dividends) which is taxed differently than earned income that you and I pay. Though it if is raised to the proposed 40%+ It could also potentially make someone with a lot of money just decide it's not worth it and keep their money in an account versus actively investing in stocks/companies.

The only drawback is that you can't raise it to high otherwise stocks will take a high and lose value, plus regular people own stock as well, not just millionaires. I own 800+ shares of stock in US BankCorp which pays dividends, and paying the proposed 40% just wouldn't make it worth it to the small investor.

Sarc wrote:--Don't touch F'ing Social Security....this is NOT an entitlement program.

Technically, it has to be touched. If it continues on the same path it will be bankrupt sooner than expected. Does this mean we should means test to see if a person needs SS? Possibly. Should those making over a certain amount not be capped at a maximum contribution? I don't know, but some kind of reform needs to happen. Entitlement program is just a label on this program. It is what every government benefit starts out as.

Sarc wrote:--Revamp the Postal Service. Cut Saturday Delivery, rework the pension/benefit program

That's kind of what most businesses do when they are going belly up, but many unions prevent from happening.

Sarc wrote:--Drastically go through the welfare rules/regulations. This is supposed to be a "helping hand", not a way of life that goes on forever and ever.

Mandatory drug testing to receive welfare benefits is a good start. Not doing away with the work rules is another.

Sarc wrote:--Immigration reform. I would "Like" to let anybody and everybody come into this country, in a perfect world I would say have people go through a year long process/application and if approved hey that's just more tax revenue because more people are paying into the pot. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is just far to high, I don't want to hear any excuses along the lines "they are just doing the jobs Americans won't", that's BS. As of right now they soak up jobs and don't pay taxes like if they were a legal citizen. So as of right now I don't want illegals here, if the unemployment rate hits 5% then we start letting people in and none of this it takes 10years BS to become naturalized, I mean WTF??? That's part of the problem. To sum up, no illegals till unemployment is at 5% or under and let's make it an easier process.

Thank you. I have no problem with legal immigration. It should piss off the people who spent the time and money to come here legally anytime some sheltered politician starts talking about amnesty. How about making e-verify mandatory?

Sarc wrote:--Voter ID Law......Voting is a right, but far to many times I hear Democrats/Republicans bitch about voter fraud, it comes from both parties. Solve the freaking problem by requiring an ID. That way both parties can quit bitching.

Funny how PresBO didn't cry racism when he was asked to show ID when he voted. There is nothing inherently racist in requiring an ID to verify that you have the right to vote an have registered as required. When there are voting discrepancies, investigate. Not just in suspected minority cases, but in ALL cases. I would also like to go back to paper ballots. None of this electronic crap that a 3rd grader can hack or anyone in the right position can manipulate... like a billionaire who owns the company that counts the votes who hands out money like crazy to lib causes.

Sarc wrote:--Health Care Act......Doesn't affect me, but I think it's BS that the government call "tell" me what to do and "make" someone do something. Nancy Pelosi likened the Health Care Act to having to buy Car insurance. Hey that's a great analogy, but you know what, you aren't required to have car insurance if you don't drive a freaking car, how does she not get this???? I hope I'm wrong, but from my 20+ years of being in management/retail and dealing with numbers/sales/wages/costs etc.....I am thinking that a lot of companies are going to keep employees hours down. This will kill fulltime jobs IMO. Though the good news is there will be a shitload of part time jobs.....(that's sarcasm btw...)

Might be sarcastic, but it is the truth. This is another cost added to business owners who have several choices in a bad economy:
    Cut employee hours
    Cut number of employees
    Move jobs to more business friendly countries
    Drop insurance coverage and pay the fine
    Go out of business

Me? I closed down shop earlier this year. I was done. Now I'm an employee and will not, under any circumstances, start a business while the government is ready to tax and regulate me to death.

Sarc wrote:--Term Limits......No more career politicians. President 8yrs, Senators 12yrs (2 six yr), House 12yrs (6 two yr) terms. Also need to drastically reduce their pay and benefits. I'll get more into this in a topic dedicated solely to this. I think if the Public knew the pay/benefits they would be outraged.

How bad is it when politicians can vote themselves pay raises and serve more than 50% of a term and draw a full pension? Better yet, why are the Senators, Reps, and President exempt from the health care law?

Sarc wrote:Oh, almost forgot Military spending........we should cut back....BUT...not like all of the detractors want. This past week has seen China launch a jet off an aircraft carrier and just today it is reported that North Korea is set to test launch a long range missile capable of reaching US continental territories. Now granted our navy is still great, but to those who claim that this is a different era are just fooling themselves. China and North Korea are indeed threats, along with Iran. Russia could also come into play depending on what our policy would be towards China if/when the time comes.

We can cut back, but please.....use common sense and know that even though conflicts have changed since WWII that doesn't mean WWIII is never going to happen. We don't want to get caught unprepared. Also keep up the drone strikes.

I'm going to disagree with the drone program. The reason is Awlaki. This guy was an American citizen, yes dedicated to attacking it, but a citizen none-the-less. He was killed by a drone strike without due process. I also don't like the thought of having unseen remote control whatever following me while some guy munches on cheetos controlling it and controlling its movement.

Sarc wrote:Everybody's favorite past time is bashing Bush for "two unpaid wars", I honestly think people, especially the very young adults who don't remember 9/11 that well, have forgotten what that time was like or no real memory of that era. I feel safer today because Bush pulled out all the stops and went balls out in trying to eliminate all terrorist organizations. He and his cabinent are just as much responsible for Bin Laden's death as Obama's is. Bush laid the groundwork with intel gathering, Obama kept it up and gave the order for the hit, they both deserve equal kudos IMO.

But one exploits it to boost an ego that is far to large to fit through any door. I would like to know why we weren't shown the body or anything to verify to the public that he died.

Sarc wrote:I do get pissy when I hear the whole "WMD" excuse, best available intel was that there were WMD's, people bring that shit up all the time, nobody wants to talk about Obama saying that on the anniversary of Sept 11th one of our consulates was attacked because of a movie. Really? If anybody actually thought that on the anniversary of 9/11 a movie provoked an attack you are insanely stupid, sorry not going to sugarcoat that.

So to sum up: cut military spending, but let's not get overdo it.

People forget all the democrats who said that Iraq had WMD's. And yes, you know how people bring RPG's, mortars, and rifles to protests. It was so spontaneous that they just conveniently forgot to put them down before picking up their protest signs.

Sarc wrote:One other thing I'd like to point out to the "tax the crap out of the companies shipping jobs overseas".

I can tell you from firsthand experience that the government has so many rules, red tape, employee taxes, that they have forced companies to ship jobs overseas so that they can actually compete. The ammount of paperwork and forms companies have to fill out when hiring someone is an absolute joke. I understand people just see jobs leaving and want to blame the company, but you have to ask yourself why is the company doing it? The company has to stay competititve, the government has so many rules and regulations that it is not cost effective to manufacture in the US, doesn't anybody blame the government or question why it's cheaper for companies to build an item in another country and THEN ship it here?

The economy does much better when govt has a limited role.....companies would hire here if the govt would just stay out of the way.

Labor costs are a big part of it, but so are the regulations. Next time, I'd love to see your ideas on education reform.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Bezo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 pm

...that it will never recover and the Earth is doomed.
Anti-corporate, anti-capitalist, anti-natalist, anti-nationalist, anti-war, anti-political, anti-theist
http://theonlybezo.deviantart.com
http://bezo.newgrounds.com
Bezo
Scum

Postby soxtalon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Leaving it ripe for the penguins?
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm

The economy is sooooooooo bad that.........

.........uh....

........er, I mean.......

..................that it's.........not...... good?
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Lili » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 am

The economy is just bad here. Not even for someone with a Bachelor's degree and experienced in field work. Yet, still a slim chance for full-time. :|
"Everyone has a dark side in themselves, no matter how bright the light shines, because where light is is always a shadow." - Unknown
Lili
Scum

Postby Captain Obvious » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Anyone see the McDonalds ad for a person with a Bachelor's degree just to be a cashier?
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Return to The Mantina