So you think YOUR job sucks eh????

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Re: So you think YOUR job sucks eh????

Postby Captain Obvious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 am

Ya have to love those stories. Still not as bad as some you have told though.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby The Count » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 pm

I get dispatched to an auto accident right around the corner from the station. As soon as we leave the house, I notice a shitload of cops driving the same direction, and a bunch more on the scene. (They usually don't go to accidents unless they're bored or we call them).

I figured one of their cars was involved. Two coke-heads stole a car less than a mile away, zoomed through a red light, and creamed someone --a cop just passing through. She was okay. The criminals ran off, but I wish I had been in their car the moment they saw they had hit a police car.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
The Count
Thief

Postby Sarc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am

heh....nice.

About a year ago one of my co-workers was on his way to work and got rear ended at a stop light by two college girls. He was in his personal vehicle (truck), he said when he stepped out of the truck the look on the girls' face was "ohhh shiiit", he was in uniform already. LOL....probably didn't help that by coincidence a state trooper showed up in less than a minute, they just happened to be driving in town and saw the accident and pulled over to see if everyone was okay.

When I was on patrol there were a few times I almost got hit. I also had a close call standing by the driver's side door after making a traffic stop on a hwy. I can understand if it's hard to merge over to the left lane but for Christ's sakes at least slow the F down.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 am

Sarc wrote:I can understand if it's hard to merge over to the left lane but for Christ's sakes at least slow the F down.

Yeah, geez ... You're in such a vulnerable position there ... for motorists to take no action whatsoever (shifting lanes is best, but at least slow down and provide as much space as possible) is ridiculous. Here in NY, we now have a law saying that motorists *must* change lanes for any stopped emergency vehicle. Problem is, I've no idea how the law is being enforced.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Sarc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:46 am

So last night police arrested this jackass for calling some people in Lincoln, NE and threatening to go on a shooting rampage. The kids called the Lincoln Police who then in turn called the Iowa City police who then "pinged" his cell phone. Long story short he was arrested for disorderly conduct, for causing a scene prior to cops showing up, and "terrorism", which is a generic term for inciting fear etc.....

So we're booking this kid in and tell him to empy his pockets and then sit down in a chair so we can ask medical/booking questions. Right off the bat he looks at this picture we have above our camera (Iowa Tigerhawk Logo) that we use as a point of reference when taking mugshots, far easier to say "look at the Iowa logo" versus "see that tiny camera on the wall, yeah look at that", anyways.....this kid out of the blue says "fuck Iowa football", we all kind of look at each other thinking "wtf?" as none of us had said anything, hell we didnt' even start the process yet. We ignored him and were about to start with the medical questions when he says to the girl inventorying his property, "hey Iowa peckerwood....you better not be stealing any of my stuff, stupid ass Iowa police". Now this is where you would think we would get pissed but it's the opposite, if you validate their comments and show emotion, they win. If they know they can get a rise out of you by saying some outlandish comment well then we've "lost" so to speak.

That went on for about 3 minutes, him calling us racist, which was a shock to me because until I looked at the charge and his info I thought he was white. He looked at my Sgt and said, "I ain't gonna answer any of your stupid ass fucking Iowa questions". He then made references to being in prison and "if you put me in with other people that just ain't gonna work, I'll fight them, in prison your first two fights are free, you got that here right?" Now obviously this isn't our first rodeo and we've all heard/gone through this before, Sarge told him that if he didn't answer the booking questions he wouldn't go to court. Most people think cop shit is like TV and that they have more actual rights than what they do, he was kinda shocked when he found out we could just hold him in a cell indefinitely until we confirmed his info. :p

I honestly thought we were going to go hands on but in the end he was all talk, put him in a holding cell by himself and he slept the rest of my shift. Most of these guys are all talk, like to play puffy chest and be badass. Not sure what it is lately but I've had to go back to wearing my knee pads, lot more fights in the past month than in the last year combined....

Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Sarc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 am

Emperor's Prize wrote:
Sarc wrote:I can understand if it's hard to merge over to the left lane but for Christ's sakes at least slow the F down.

Yeah, geez ... You're in such a vulnerable position there ... for motorists to take no action whatsoever (shifting lanes is best, but at least slow down and provide as much space as possible) is ridiculous. Here in NY, we now have a law saying that motorists *must* change lanes for any stopped emergency vehicle. Problem is, I've no idea how the law is being enforced.

It rarely is. I've never come across anyone who has actually enforced it here in my County. We also have signs up everywhere that state, "engine braking prohibited". Yeah like who is going to enforce that? :p

When I was a reserve I used to ride with this female deputy, she happened to be the Brother of a guy who was one step higher than me at my regular job at the grocery store I used to work at, anyways I'm driving down the road, she's riding shotgun, she sees one of those signs and says, "I've always wondered what the hell that means?", lol.....trying not to be a know it all I explained it to her, she said "ohhhhh...yeah that makes sense". She was on patrol for 7yrs at that point. :p

So yeah.....probably not a lot of enforcement....

Sarc
Scoundrel

Previous

Return to The Mantina