The Q & A Cop thread.....

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Also want to bring up one of my pet peeves, and this kind of goes hand in hand with the quota myth. A huge myth is that Cops write tickets just to generate revenue, now I can't speak for any agency outside of Iowa, but how it works here is if I write a speeding ticket, my department gets $5.00, regardless of the actual dollar amount, we only get $5.00, rest goes to court costs and also the general state fund.

Not quite sure how other states are set up but I would imagine it's at least similar.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm

soxtalon wrote:EP: Exactly. I work in a town that 2 years ago won the award for "Safest Town In The US". Well we have quite the joke in our department. Homicide is written off as accidental death. Robbery -> verbal disagreement over property...things of that nature ;) We exaggerate a bit but it's no surprise to see things sweetened for the media.

That'd be my hometown, right? Same thing happens in schools when it comes to children acting out in class. Their behavior is mischaracterized, their suspensions either don't happen or are diminished, so that the school doesn't look bad. All the while sending the message to the kids that they don't have consequences for their poor behavior, making the classroom worse, making more kids act out ... and actually making the school worse.

Bureaucrats. :|
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
User avatar
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:15 pm
Location: Sin City

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby rogue0208 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 am

Emperor's Prize wrote:That'd be my hometown, right? Same thing happens in schools when it comes to children acting out in class. Their behavior is mischaracterized, their suspensions either don't happen or are diminished, so that the school doesn't look bad. All the while sending the message to the kids that they don't have consequences for their poor behavior, making the classroom worse, making more kids act out ... and actually making the school worse.

Bureaucrats. :|


Sorry to derail, but QFMFT (quoted for the mother fucking truth). I had to take down a 5ft 6in, 165lb boy today because he went after a MUCH smaller boy who annoyed him. The first boy is one of my identified special education students with a "mood disorder", however, this is the 2nd fight he's been in since the beginning of the year. He's 13, so 2 full years older than all the rest of the kids in 6th grade (been held back twice). I've been fighting ALL year to get him in a different placement because my school is not at all the appropriate setting for him, but nobody (ie Admin) has listened until today because I work for a charter school and they care A LOT about the enrollment and the money. In the meantime, this student has been such a disruption that his entire class has practically imploded and no amount of modifications, accommodations, and behavior plans have been effective.

*sigh*

Anyways, thanks for this thread, Sarc. I got pulled over today, but didn't get a ticket because I 1. played dumb, 2. was really nice, and 3. have my brother in law's business card behind my license. I played dumb when he tried to get me to admit that I knew I was speeding. "Do you know what the speed limit is?" "Ummmm, 35?" "No, it's 30 within the city lines." I knew perfectly well it's 30, but I also knew that I sped up to 45 to get through a yellow light, so I wasn't about to admit that!

So, here's a question. When I was a teen, someone told me that a police radar couldn't tag a car that was going around a curve, then it had to be straight on. True or False?
What?
User avatar
rogue0208
Thief
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:52 am
Location: motorboatin' yo' momma

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm

rogue0208 wrote:
So, here's a question. When I was a teen, someone told me that a police radar couldn't tag a car that was going around a curve, then it had to be straight on. True or False?


Well it's kinda subjective, you can't get an accurate reading if someone is turning/going around a curve, you'd still get a reading, but the MPH would be skewed and wouldn't be correct. The most precise reading is yes, coming straight on (in a straight line). That being said it doesn't have to be "exactly" straight ahead, there is more wiggle room than you would think but as a easy over generalization....the farther away from the straight line you go the less accurate a reading. When I went to the academy we had to go through 8 hrs (yawn) of Radar training and learn about the speed of light and cosign bullshit, crap that will put you to sleep for sure....really dry material. Hence why I used the rule of if I wasn't completely sure I'd just give a warning.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Emperor's Prize wrote:That'd be my hometown, right? Same thing happens in schools when it comes to children acting out in class. Their behavior is mischaracterized, their suspensions either don't happen or are diminished, so that the school doesn't look bad. All the while sending the message to the kids that they don't have consequences for their poor behavior, making the classroom worse, making more kids act out ... and actually making the school worse.

Bureaucrats. :|


That would be it. As in your hometown...and bureaucrats.
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
User avatar
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Use of Force

I hear a lot of people say, "why didn't the cop do this" etc...quite a bit. First thing I want to say is that it is far easier to sit back and watch a video frame by frame versus having to react in a split second. Police brutality exists, happens, nothing you can do about it except try to get those officers off the street, it gives the rest of us a bad rep, as if we need it. Though to be fair I watch a lot of Youtube videos which claim brutality but are in reality not even close, I also don't automatically side with police but more often than not it ends up that the poster of the video is/was full of it.

Most police agencies have what is called a "use of force protocol", which means you are supposed to evaluate the threat and respond with just enough force to neutralize the problem. A lot of people that go through our "citizens academy" are shocked to learn where certain tools (like taser, OC, etc...) fall in that category. Below is a general use of force guide that I think is safe to assume is the same, or very close anyways, to most dept in the United State.

Vebal/Soft Hands
Hands On
OC (Mace)
Taser
ASP (Baton)
Gun

What surprised most people is that the ASP is towards the bottom of the list, reason for this is that you can do a ton of damage with an ASP, we are trained in specific areas of the body. You can definitely break bones if you are not careful when using this.

The reason you see cops use the Taser more than anything is for one simple fact. Once it's over....it's over. What I mean is that if you spray someone with OC the effects last for hours, if you are tazed it lasts 5 seconds (or less).....or more if you are completely uncooperative. If you spray someone you risk contaminating yourself, others in the area, etc...

I've been tazed once, and yes it sucks. You feel all tingly and funky afterwards but for the most part once the "ride" is over you have no residual effects. Now....OC is a whole other ballgame, I've been sprayed twice and let me tell you IT F'ING SUCKS!!!, that shit stays with you for hours and hours, if you ask any LE "would you rather be sprayed or tazed" I guarangodamntee you the majority will say "taze me". If they say otherwise that means they are either lying or haven't done it.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people today say "they didn't have tasers 30yrs ago, and the cops did just fine, today's cops are just wuss's". My response to that is yes, they didn't have them 30yrs ago, but you know what, cops used to beat the living shit out of people to gain compliance and both the cops and suspects got hurt fighting each other. I understand people are usually anti taser, but in reality it looks far far worse than it is and it is better than going hands on or using an ASP. Plus like I said most cops would rather use a taser that has no residual effects versus the OC which can last for hours. My first time being sprayed, I felt it the next day, corners of my eyes stung like hell, not pleasant.

I've personally never had to taze anyone, I've literally only had to draw it twice (while on patrol) but never had to use it. It is an effective tool, I can see how people think that too many cops use it as a go to device rather than use other options but in reality it's better to use that than risk a hands on fight IMO.

btw....little known fact for you all who would argue why not try to just go hands on. This is a true stat: 84% of officers that are shot are killed by their own weapon....hence why you don't want to get in a struggle and risk losing your sidearm. It's also why the rule of thumb for officers wearing vests is that you wear a vest that is rated strong enough at the very least to stop your own caliber of bullet for your duty weapon.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby The Count » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Emperor's Prize wrote:Not surprising. These days, there's so much emphasis on data - statistics - that agencies (LE, education, etc.) set up policies meant to circumvent "illegalities" while still padding their statistics. It's why many schools teach to the test - even when they say they would never do such a thing.


My Fire Department is absolutely obsessed with statistics and numbers. It's driving us all crazy that everything that can be monitored and recorded without context is used to determine how well we do our job.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
User avatar
The Count
Thief
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:12 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 am

There are Two myths that just absolutely bug the crap out of me that I need to point out. I hear this shit at least once a week, usually by some drunk college kid, I usually chuckle to myself, it's even more funny when we get a criminal justice/law student "I know the law" types....

MYTH: "This is a false arrest....he didn't read me my rights" <--If I had a nickel for every time I have heard this I'd be retired already...

FACT: When you are arrested you do NOT have to have your rights read to you. This is one of the areas that the movies/tv just do for dramatic effect. Your rights must be read to you BEFORE an "interrogation/questioning", if you aren't going to be questioned/interrogated at any time the cops don't have to read you your rights. If a cop interrogates you but does NOT read you your rights this doesn't make your arrest null/void, it simply means whatever you say to the cops is inadmissible, that's it. The arrest isn't magically thrown out because you weren't read your rights, they just can't use anything arising from the interrogation.

MYTH: "I want my free phone call" <--The 2nd most used quote in the jail

FACT: The police are under NO obligation to give you a FREE phone call, the law clearly states that we have to offer anyone arrested "access/use" of a phone and make every reasonable attempt to accommodate the request. That means the taxpayers don't have to pay for your call to California at 3am just to say goodnight. So Phone access, yep totally, FREE.....nope, you can call 1-800 collect...
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Captain Obvious » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:45 am

The funny thing about that 5th amendment rights is also that if you say that you were not read your rights, you have the burden of proof to prove that they did not before questioning. The deck is stacked against a person making a claim, and most interviews are recorded anyways.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
User avatar
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:52 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for making the job that much harder for the rest of us you piece of crap......

Trooper being sued for faking DUI's
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Oh awesome.
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
User avatar
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Re: The Q & A Cop thread.....

Postby Sarc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 am

Captain Obvious wrote:The funny thing about that 5th amendment rights is also that if you say that you were not read your rights, you have the burden of proof to prove that they did not before questioning. The deck is stacked against a person making a claim, and most interviews are recorded anyways.



Yep. At my dept the detectives have an office which also includes the interview/interrogation room. I've been in there a total of 3 times in a shade over 5yrs, we have a rule that the detectives office(s) are off limits to everybody but the actual detectives and Sheriff unless requested/given permission. I sat in on a interrogation, albeit in the adjoining room which housed all of the recording devices and I must admit, we had so many cameras, monitors, audio devices that it would make a audio/video nerd sport complete wood. First time I saw all of that I was shocked to say the least. Lot of high tech shit in that room.... :p

On a side note listening to a detective ask questions to some sick fuck about how he raped a girl while holding a screwdriver to her throat and hearing how the guy tried to justify it by saying it was consensual was a little over the top. The whole "naw man....we wuz jus playin'" made me want to go in the next room and blow away his junk....
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
User avatar
Sarc
Scoundrel
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 am

Previous

Return to The Mantina

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron