Oil

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Oil

Postby Captain Obvious » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 am

You know, I remember how people said back in 08, when gas prices were over $4 a gallon that it would take at least 4 years for us to get the wells drilled to make a difference. I would like to just point out this link and ask, why are we, in America, not trying to become energy independent with the resources we have while exploring the next viable energy source?

Opec is reporting $1Trillion profit in 2012.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Re: Oil

Postby Ney » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Your link requires a subscription. I tried to break around it with query strings but it seems to be session based. :p

There are a lot of problems with alternative energy for many reasons.

First, they can be community specific: hydroelectric will only work in some areas whereas wind powered in others and so forth. As much as people rag on them they are great; even if they cannot provide full power needs to certain areas they're better than nothing. The only problem is the infrastructure investment (ie: how electric only cars fail to get off in America because nobody invests in it).

That said... the rest of the world is already moving to the safer nuclear format of thorium (China, India, Sweden, etc).
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Sarc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 pm

I so wish solar power was cheaper, looked into that and even with tax credits it's just too expensive for me. About 2 1/2 yrs ago I got into water/electricity conservation, albeit purely driven by financial reasons, though I have saved a ton of money with little to no work.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby tenbiscuits » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 am

The prices on solar power cells have been dropping drastically the past few years.
And so it goes.
tenbiscuits
Scum

Postby Sarc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 am

Yep, but still out of my price range unfortunately. Though on the flip side I've got my water/electric bill about as well as they'll ever get. I have a spread sheet at home, I'll have to see how much I've saved since I started doing this, about 3yrs now.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Return to The Mantina