Life changes - the encouragement thread

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Life changes - the encouragement thread

Postby Ney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 am

Okay guys. Everyone needs a support group. So, if you're struggling with something... be honest. Tell us why. Help each other keep to their own goals and we can succeed as a whole. That said, post about things you are starting, doing or want to do and we can push each other to greatness.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Re: Life changes - the encouragement thread

Postby strangebehaviour » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 am

Love this.

I say this every year but I really want to be thinner and healthier. I stay motivated for about a month and then it goes downhill. It is quite frustrating because when I work out I feel pretty good. It's motivating myself to workout that is the problem. I know. I need to be smacked when I feel lazy. :p
Nothing to see here. move along.
strangebehaviour
Thief

Postby Scarlet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 am

Staying focused on studies when I start back up again on the 22nd. You can expect to see me highly active on the forum as I procrastinate precious hours away.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Ney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 am

strangebehaviour wrote:Love this.

I say this every year but I really want to be thinner and healthier. I stay motivated for about a month and then it goes downhill. It is quite frustrating because when I work out I feel pretty good. It's motivating myself to workout that is the problem. I know. I need to be smacked when I feel lazy. :p

I joined Fitocracy at the urging of some friends and just pulled Dan into it with me. I like the concept (using gamification to motivate you). You should check it out. As for schooling... I need to get back into the groove. I have my first exam this semester in a week. And a paper to finish.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 am

My new years resolution is to have a solid (honest and legal) income, a College degree, no debts, and some savings by the end of the decade. It's actually a more lengthy resolution than that. I wrote two whole pages of 'legalese' regarding my 2013 resolution, but that's the TL;DR version.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Ney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 am

I totally approve of this. You can do it, Dan.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Calandria » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I know your pain! It's just so hard to motivate myself for more than a short time. I need to find a "fun" sport again with a group of people I actually enjoy being around for 2-3 hours every week. I stopped figure skating when I ended up considering ditching practice because of the idiot who joined up a year before I quit. I stopped fencing when the old guard all moved away and the newbies just didn't seem to have the same ideas about sport as me (it has to be fun, and as much fun as winning is, it's not the only reason to do a sport).

So yeah... I know your pain...

Dan: You're actually smart enough to do all the things you've listed... now get a move on [face_muhaha]
Rebel Princess looking for a Cause.
Calandria
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:49 pm

I started my life changes last year but I ain't done yet.

I would like to get my weight down to about 185-190. At 5'8 or whatever I'm supposed to be something like 150 but that just ain't possible. I'm a pretty broad guy so I think healthy weight for me is somewhere around 175-195. I started Weight Watchers last April when I was at 268 lbs. Not quite the heaviest I had ever been but not far off either. Between then and December 18th I had one week of gain and one other week of unexplainable gain. But by Dec. 18th I was down to 220lbs. I took 2 weeks off for my birthday and vacation...and when I say went off I don't mean just didn't count...I was ALL out. No holding back on anything...SOOOOOO...2 weeks later and I was at 227 :P BUT I'm back on now and from all I've read it actually might do me well as it will kind of reset my metabolism a bit. So back to the grind!

I would also like to get much further in my novels (writing) than I have before. Even finish one? :-o

I would like to by the summertime be ready to move into a new house...or barring that really get into fixing up my current one.
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Ney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 pm

I'm going to hit the gym and drop down to 200lbs from the 235-240ish I'm at now. That's my goal by the end of the year. That and to graduate college.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby The Count » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:30 am

Scarlet wrote:Staying focused on studies when I start back up again on the 22nd. You can expect to see me highly active on the forum as I procrastinate precious hours away.

My strategy to stay focused is to find someone in my class and make a competition out of it. Even if they don't know it, even if I never speak to them, I push myself so I can talk mental smack.

Calandria wrote:

I know your pain! It's just so hard to motivate myself for more than a short time. I need to find a "fun" sport again with a group of people I actually enjoy being around for 2-3 hours every week. I stopped figure skating when I ended up considering ditching practice because of the idiot who joined up a year before I quit. I stopped fencing when the old guard all moved away and the newbies just didn't seem to have the same ideas about sport as me (it has to be fun, and as much fun as winning is, it's not the only reason to do a sport).

So yeah... I know your pain...

Dan: You're actually smart enough to do all the things you've listed... now get a move on [face_muhaha]

You fenced?! Now my competitive spirit is coming out...

As far as fitness, I recommend Crossfit. It's very easy to stay motivated when you workout with a group with constantly changing exercises.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
The Count
Thief

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 am

Got a haircut and shaved my beard today. :D
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm

And it looks great Dan! Strange in a - holy shit I have to get used to that but great!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Ney » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm

He looks quite the professional now, doesn't he?
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Viper » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 am

My goal this year is to make peace with myself. Once and for all. I've been circling it for a while now, but it's time to end this shit. I've got my life pretty much on the track I want it now. Just gotta find the peace with this recurring turmoil that just keeps cropping up.

Not sure how I'm going to do that when I've got a bitch ex wife who is pretty much all take and no give, and some other people I'd prefer not to mention publicly.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Sorry Vipes. I will try to stop giving you shit :P
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lili » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 am

First. I bookmark this thread. So many things in life. Lot to tell. #:-s
"Everyone has a dark side in themselves, no matter how bright the light shines, because where light is is always a shadow." - Unknown
Lili
Scum

Postby Captain Obvious » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 am

I think it's time for a major change in my life. Forget the people who can't be there when you need them
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Bezo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 am

I spent from January of 2012 to January of 2013 on a weight loss tear. In that time I lost a hundred pounds (going from 300 to a low of 198.6). Mind you, I haven't lost anything in the subsequent months. But, on the plus side, I haven't gone up significantly (I hit 207 in early March, but am back around 200 now).

So yeah, I would really like to lose more, but damned if it hasn't become really hard.
Anti-corporate, anti-capitalist, anti-natalist, anti-nationalist, anti-war, anti-political, anti-theist
http://theonlybezo.deviantart.com
http://bezo.newgrounds.com
Bezo
Scum

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:41 am

Congrats, Bezo, on not only the loss ... but on keeping it off (which is at least as hard to do)!
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 am

Asbolutely! I've been following on FB and always am motivated seeing how well you've done. I went from 268 down to 220.5 or so and have really slowed. I am still losing but at far more of a glacial pace!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Viper » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Bezo wrote:I spent from January of 2012 to January of 2013 on a weight loss tear. In that time I lost a hundred pounds (going from 300 to a low of 198.6). Mind you, I haven't lost anything in the subsequent months. But, on the plus side, I haven't gone up significantly (I hit 207 in early March, but am back around 200 now).

So yeah, I would really like to lose more, but damned if it hasn't become really hard.

I got down to 204 at one point and plateaued. When you level out like that it means you have to make a bigger lifestyle change. Either more physical activity or even less calories.
Viper
Thief

Postby KyleKatarn96 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey Sox, keep at it. I'm about 5'7 and I got up to about 180 during college. It's a good weight for guys our size. Have you tried interval training?
KyleKatarn96
Scum

Postby soxtalon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 am

I haven't. What's funny is that at first I started to try to lose by exercising. I did a couch-5K program adn finished it but hadn't lost a whole lot of weight. I tried Weight Watchers online (I will not go to any f-n meetings...just not for me) and that's when it started - pretty much without much exercise. I know I should definitely pick it up again as I slow down and I probably will do more...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Viper » Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

soxtalon wrote:I haven't. What's funny is that at first I started to try to lose by exercising. I did a couch-5K program adn finished it but hadn't lost a whole lot of weight. I tried Weight Watchers online (I will not go to any f-n meetings...just not for me) and that's when it started - pretty much without much exercise. I know I should definitely pick it up again as I slow down and I probably will do more...

Yeah, I learned that exercise has little to do with losing weight. Weight is lost by lowering calorie intake. At most, exercise helps you burn about 500 calories a day.
Viper
Thief

Postby KyleKatarn96 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah, definitely. I know people who exercise then reward themselves with treats. After a bit, they're curious to why they're not seeing any results. The combination of exercise and an appropriate healthy diet is going to yield the best results. It all depends what your end goal is.
KyleKatarn96
Scum

Next

Return to The Mantina