Forum Nostalgia

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Forum Nostalgia

Postby Scarlet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 am

I do miss the dynamics of forums - that intermediate social interaction with people whereby you get to know enough about them to enjoy their personality and their posts, yet with a layer of distance that allows for the dropping of pretenses, political correctness and politeness.

I could never transition this outlet for social interaction to Facebook, as there I remember my self. Or rather, my face. The face presented to those at work, to my family, to those in the sphere of past and present acquaintances.

This thread is brought to you by the power of procrastination.
Scarlet
Thief

Re: Forum Nostalgia

Postby Viper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 am

I always considered my online personality through anonymity of message boards as a layer of myself I'd like to become in real life. What actually happened was my online personality mashed with my real life personality and now both are somewhere in the middle. Probably best that it happened that way because my old online personality might've been too much lol.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 am

I know the feeling, Vipes. Facebook makes the internet too much like IRL.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm

There was something quite engaging about being able to create your online persona - avatars, style of posting, meeting new, (semi)like-minded people. I'd say it was much more ... intimate ... than FB or whatever the heck the internet is now.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Bezo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 am

I don't have a persona. I am me. Online, offline, forums, Facebook.
Anti-corporate, anti-capitalist, anti-natalist, anti-nationalist, anti-war, anti-political, anti-theist
http://theonlybezo.deviantart.com
http://bezo.newgrounds.com
Bezo
Scum

Postby soxtalon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am

I agree with the nostalgia of forum posting. It was quick enough to be engaging yet slow enough that you could actually consider answers without people just jumping in over the top of you (well...most of the time).

I'd like to think that I am pretty much myself on the forums as well. I may be a slightly bit more exaggerated version of myself but still definitely myself. I can't think of anything I've said/done online that I wouldn't have done in real life...
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Scarlet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm

For me, it's not an issue of being or not being myself, but rather different layers of self thriving in different contexts. Offline, I don't socialize that much, nor do I care to, which is probably why I enjoy mindless banter online. This medium is the optimum medium for my needs for social interaction.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm

^ Yeah, that's the point I was trying to convey - allowing different parts of your personality come through via how you choose to present yourself and the style you choose to post with. I think that's one of the reasons why I was so fond of socks. Gave me a chance to explore different elements of who I am (or, perhaps, who I was).
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Viper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 am

Hmmm...well, I wouldn't say that my online persona was a vastly different version of my real life persona. Just a lot less constrained by the bullshit of everyday life, methinks. Seems like in most contexts, I found myself having to put on the best version of myself in real life whereas online I didn't play any pretenses. It used to be REALLY out of whack. Stuff I would say on forums I would be EXTREMELY embarrassed to say to people in real life contexts.

Nowadays there's a much better balance. I've become much more brazen in real life with my views, but on forums I've become a lot calmer. lol
Viper
Thief

Postby The Count » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 pm

I've always found forums extremely challenging in terms of personality presentation. Because of the time lag, things like humor are affected in ways in which I have a hard time dealing. The fact that we present ourselves textually offers new options for communication (like gifs, bold letters, strike through text, etc) that take practice to use effectively. I enjoy personal interaction; I'm people-person. The anonymity here feels more to me like an obstacle.

Also, writing responses puts me in a weird, overly proper voice. Speech is much more immediate, so it's more relaxed.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
The Count
Thief

Postby DarkGizmo » Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I've always felt forums were better then Social Networks. They are two different beasts that can't really be compared easily. I prefer the more personal experience you can get on a forum though. You can really get to know your fellow posters, where-as on most social networking sites it's just people rambling and ranting about their day, it's hard to have meaningful conversations this way. :P

Fun fact: totally forgot about this place, found it by searching hailBoards. Speaking of which, LT get on finishing version 3.0! :P (I saw your Github :P)
DarkGizmo
Scum

Postby rogue0208 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Facebook pisses me off. It's so disjointed, there are rarely complete thoughts and sometimes, there are TOO MANY THOUGHTS, aka the people that post updates 27 times a day and tell you every minute detail of what they are doing at all times. Oh. my. god.

I like forums better because we actually have conversations and intelligent discourse (sometimes). Like Scarlet said, we have to ability to get to know people, but there's a level of distance that is comfortable and lets say things that we might think IRL, but don't say.

Although, I must say, I think my RL personality is pretty similar to my online personality. I'm a little less bitchy IRL, but not much! :)

Scarlet, stop procrastinating! ;)
What?
rogue0208
Thief

Postby KyleKatarn96 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Heh. I do miss forums quite a bit. I'm glad this is back up with the new movies. I would say I'm much different now in both RL and online compared to when ROTS was released considering the maturation process that occured. Phat definitely influenced me, albeit maybe in subtle ways.

While back then being anonymous online let my "walls" down, so to speak, now I'm much more open in RL like I would be online.

Also, as a side note, I was rocking out driving home to an Aleister CD I still have....
KyleKatarn96
Scum

Postby SarkaVrae » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 pm

We just unpacked/rediscovered our Aleister CD! I haven't moved it to the car yet (where i do most of my music listening). Baby steps.

I miss forums as well. FB pisses me off to no end. I only see a select few people's posts & can't remember to go to everyone's page & like half their posts so i see theirs regularly as well. So bah on FB. Also, I agree that is is WAY too real life. I can't make all the crass jokes I want because now grown kids that I once mentored in small groups are on my friends list & I am too lazy to divide the sea of friends into groups and post only to those groups when I feel crassy.
Love many. Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.
SarkaVrae
Thief

Postby Shaft » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:09 am

Bezo wrote:I don't have a persona. I am me. Online, offline, forums, Facebook.

They live.
I never underestimate their chances.
Shaft
Scum

Postby Viper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:34 am

I remembered this old gem tonight and I did a google search to see if it was still online somewhere. Forgot I posted it over at poop report....

http://www.poopreport.com/Fun/Content/F ... astic.html

Man that one really made me nostalgic.
Viper
Thief

Postby Viper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:41 am

And after 8 years a small confession. This was a true story but I embellished it a little. If I remember right there were only 3 stalls and the kid never actually threw up. I could heat him gagging though, which was hilarious in and of itself. Lol
Viper
Thief

Postby Manowan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Anyone still on TFN???
You still have much to learn my young apprentice.
Manowan
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 pm

I go to the news page but VERY rarely do I look in on the forums - can't remember the last time actually....
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm

I've been lurking in the 7SA, with an occasional post.
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Salty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I can't remember the last time I went to TFN either. My fandom isn't what it once was.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:31 am

The 7SA is boring as balls, nothing's leaking on J.J. Abrams' ship. :p
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Salty » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:43 am

That doesn't surprise me considering how tight the Star Trek movie sets have been.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:28 pm

True, we didn't know it was Khan in Into Darkness until... well the day it filmed, anyways.

It's good, really. We'll probably end up enjoying that first viewing more for it.
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Salty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 am

I took a looksie over at TFN last night and was surprised at how slow the site is compared to the heyday of the prequel trilogy filming. I believe the lack of leaks and a hands off approach by the Star Wars official site are two key reasons why.

Don't get me wrong, TFN is still a busy site but it's a far cry from 2000-2005.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Next

Return to The Mantina