Time Dilation of Aging

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Time Dilation of Aging

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 pm

A random thought I had a couple weeks back:

The speed with which we move through time (or rather time moves through us) changes as we get older. That's why the older we get, the faster things (summer, weekends, nights, etc.) seem to go. It's perhaps why the body begins breaking down with age since our cells can't maintain repairs. Essentially, the frequency with which events happen in time does not necessarily change, it is the speed with which we approach and pass each event. The relative speeds aren't constant, either. Athletes, artists, virtuosos, prodigies, and so on have ways of slowing down the passage of time, perhaps giving them a greater awareness of events surrounding them. Perhaps, in some ways, during a period of inspiration, they transcend space-time. Perhaps other means (meditation, music, drugs, sex, thrill seeking, etc.) are ways we alter our passage through time ... to experience events more fully.

Today I read an article that may provide some scientific support for my wonderings. The article described a newish scientific theory called Rainbow Gravity, which states, "Particles with different energies will actually see different space times". Which, if true, means that experiences with time are variable. So perhaps, as the energies in our bodies are change so do our experiences and interactions with time. And if that is the case, maybe we really can alter our energies to affect the flow of time around us.

Thoughts? B-)

(And no, I'm neither drunk nor high :)))
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Re: Time Dilation of Aging

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:51 am

Perhaps this explains the Mandela Effect. Apparently it's a thing where people have memories of other timelines.

http://mandelaeffect.com/
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:51 pm

I heard a great episode of Radio Lab talking about this phenomena once. The subject was about numbers and how our linear "even" spaced number system is actually counter-intuitive to our nature, that we generally want to experience math in ratios.

Example:

A Baby turns 1. The following year (you guessed it) - they turn 2. At this point, that is a [b]huge[/]b difference. It is literally double the size of that child's experience & life. The following year when they turn 3 - it's not as huge a difference. And so on - the older you get, the smaller a percentage of your life timeline compared to life lived will be, thus explain why each year things go faster - by your body's internal clocks, it's less life than the previous year in total.

Tis fascinating to think about.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:35 pm

^ Wow. That literally blew my mind for a minute there. And makes so much sense!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to think about it. Makes a lot of sense.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Viper » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Drunken Irish Picnic wrote:I heard a great episode of Radio Lab talking about this phenomena once. The subject was about numbers and how our linear "even" spaced number system is actually counter-intuitive to our nature, that we generally want to experience math in ratios.

Example:

A Baby turns 1. The following year (you guessed it) - they turn 2. At this point, that is a [b]huge[/]b difference. It is literally double the size of that child's experience & life. The following year when they turn 3 - it's not as huge a difference. And so on - the older you get, the smaller a percentage of your life timeline compared to life lived will be, thus explain why each year things go faster - by your body's internal clocks, it's less life than the previous year in total.

Tis fascinating to think about.

I read about this somewhere not too long ago, and this makes total sense. A good way to test it would be to try and change the way you perceive the passage of time. That is, instead of the unconscious urge to view time as something linear, and compare the years in ratios, try viewing time and experience as an eternal "now." It's pretty trippy to think that the ONLY thing that exists is a perpetual "now" and that our ideas of past and future are just constructs within our minds. In fact, even a memory is just a present experience happening in the now.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Return to The Mantina