Server Question

This is the Phatooine's social forum. Everyone welcome, sideburns encouraged.

Server Question

Postby Whispers » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:23 am

Hope I don't sound stoopid but what exactly is a server? Some of you guys know it inside and out and I need to know for work. I've been delegated the IT spec. and although I know a lot about software and hardware I'm not sure about what a server does. Does it resemble a bunch of CPUs all linked together? Is data saved there?

Help me Obi-Phat-Phatoobie, you're my only hope. :)
I will find you
Whispers
Witch Admin of Phatooine

Re: Server Question

Postby Viper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 am

It's like a computer but it's main function is to store and process files that websites use and are built from. In order to build a website, you have to create files and programs that the site will use to make up the actual site. These files and file structures are very similar to the ones you have on your computer but they are stored on a server (which is just a fancy computer with.no monster) and their function is to process all these files so that your website will look and function the way you want it to.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby herumorna » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:23 pm

A server is a computer connected to a network that can take requests for services and 'serve' them to the client requesting that service.

For eg. on the internet (which is just a massive network of many networks) web servers are computers connected to the internet that accept requests for web pages (files) and serve them.

There are tons of different types of servers depending on what work they do like Application servers (dedicating to running software applications) and Database servers (store data used by other applications or servers).

Does it resemble a bunch of CPUs all linked together? Is data saved there?

A server can be an extremely tiny computer no bigger than an inch or several high-end machines hooked up in a datacenter, they are not defined by their size but what work they do. And yeah, they can store data (if thats what you program them to do).

Hope that helps (without sounding condescending).
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby Whispers » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the answers guys, and hi!

I understand it now. The server we have at work is a bunch of dinosaurish cpu's connected together. The administrator is being asked to purchase a new server from our IT service and she wasn't sure what to do. This helps :)
I will find you
Whispers
Witch Admin of Phatooine

Return to The Mantina