Revenge of the Editor's Room

Episodes I - VI. Prequel Trilogy ... Original Trilogy ... it's now Lucas' Saga. Discuss.

Revenge of the Editor's Room

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Inspired by the return of Star Wars, and Phat, I sat down to watch Revenge of the Sith (on the Blu-Ray) for the first time in ... well, in years. And while I still really enjoy the story, and many scenes are still powerful ("I'm so sorry.") it's clear just how awkward and halting and disruptive the editing is in the film. Scenes do not flow together particularly well. There are odd cutaways (think: Palpatine's "Yeah!" during the initial duel with Dooku). And the film's pacing suffers drastically as a result.

Anyone else notice this? Or was I just having a bad day? :))
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Re: Revenge of the Editor's Room

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm

No you weren't. There were many times during III where cuts were a bit harsh. I think George at that point was tired again and was more about finishing the story rather than crafting it...
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Am I remembering correctly that Ben "My Sound Effects Are As Good As Williams' Score" Burtt was one of the principle editors on the film? The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Burtt wasn't in no small part, what ailed much of the PT (especially in AOTC & ROTS).
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Without looking it up, yes Ben was heavily involved in editing as they went on. I hate to simply scapegoat someone but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to blame for a lot of poor choices.
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah ... and, of course, these were Lucas' films, after all. As Head Honcho, it's ultimately his responsibility. I have to reiterate, I still thoroughly enjoyed the film - I was just struck by the editing this time around.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I'll take the contrarian view here - i've come to kind of loathe the prequels over the years. After getting away from the rose tinted "new Star Wars, woohoo" glasses I had on, I find them all to be very flawed films. I pretty much side entirely with Harry S. Plinkett at this point.

So in a nutshell - no Sam, I think you're spot on in your observation about the movie. And i'd blame Lucas before Burtt. I specifically recall some behind the scenes stuff of Burtt a bit pissed about what Lucas wanted out of the editing process (specifically, the scene where they escape Naboo in Phantom Menace).
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Captain Obvious » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 am

Ah, editing. I can tell you from first hand experience that out isn't easy at all to get the rhythm down when a director is doing what he can to insert things like "wizard" and "yippee" into already strained dialogue.

The editor still answers to someone. It's all on GL for the prequels.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Return to The Lucas Era