How Much of the EU will be Destroyed?

How much of the EU will be discarded by the Sequel Trilogy?

All of it, without question. [100%]
8%
Most of it. [60%-99%]
69%
Some of it. [40%-59%]
8%
A bit of it [20%-39%]
No votes
Only a little, and we'll follow the G-Canon (now the D-Canon for Disney Canon)/C-Canon rules [5%-19%]
15%
The sequels will be BASED ON the EU (Thrawn Trilogy, etc) [<5%]
No votes

Total votes : 13

How Much of the EU will be Destroyed?

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am

Will Disney & Lucas' treatments completely wreck the EU, will they follow a non-contradictory timeline, or will they be based on the EU stories?

There's plenty of precedent for Lucas drawing directly from the EU and replacing his own ideas with that which the EU established. A good example of this would be the use of Coruscant in the prequels; as opposed to the Imperial capital of Had Abaddon in Lucas' early scripts.

Will we see Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn, or will they even exist in the Sequel Trilogy timeline? The Sun Crusher? Yuuzhan Vong, Zonoma Sekot, Vergere, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, Cade Skywalker, Daala?

None of the above? Little bits here and there?
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Re: How Much of the EU will be Destroyed?

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm

I have a feeling they will destroy as LITTLE as the EU as possible. If something small gets in the way they will push it aside but generally speaking they know the obsessiveness of SW fans and they don't want to piss anyone off....so while they will not destroy much of the EU, I also don't think they'll use a lot of it either. I don't think we see a Thrawn trilogy adaption. I do think we see some concepts like names, places, etc. but they might not be exactly the same. For example I would bet if we see kids of Han and Leia being born during 7-9 we would see their names being Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin. and then later perhaps their adventures might have similarities.

I could see throwaway mentions of Thrawn or Kyp. I could see Mara Jade being one of the characters to make the jump to the big screen unfortunately. I doubt we get much from New Jedi Order and beyond. perhaps as standalones later or if they decide after 7-9 to continue on to make a kind of Main film series to continue on starting with a new 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 kind of thing...while spinoffs pop up around it....
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Manowan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I must confess I am not familiar with the post ROTJ EU material. I was always more interested in the middle period between ROTS AND ANH and stories of the old republic to be honest.

Can someone give a brief overview of the EU stories past ROTJ?
You still have much to learn my young apprentice.
Manowan
Thief

Postby Calandria » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

You're asking for the impossible Mano...

I'd have to get back to the books to actually remember what all happened. And since those are in books... well not gonna happen just now.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll actually get rid of quite a bit of it. Some of the EU is just plain awful. At times I felt like asking what the hell they were smoking when they wrote/approved that. There's a bit that's quite good, but mostly it's trash.
Rebel Princess looking for a Cause.
Calandria
Thief

Postby Ney » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 am

Quick timetable, Mano:

- Thrawn rebuilds the Empire, tries to go in to stop the Alliance. Almost does it. Loses. Luke decides to rebuild Jedi order.
- X-Wings! Rogue Squadron kicks ass for 2-5 years. Best EU character ever is introduced: Corran Horn.
- Han+Leia have twins (Jacen, Jaina). They become the Hanson twins of Star Wars. Anakin (3rd kid) born. He's emo. Luke+Mara Jade become psuedo lovers.
- Luke builds Jedi Academy. Prize student goes Darkside after being exposed to Sith artifacts. Crazy superweapon almost destroys a star.
- Hutts try to rebuild death star. Fail. Get owned.
- A lot of nonense happens after this that no Star Wars fan likes.
- Some dude is hired to imposter Thrawn. Doesn't work out. They almost scare people into kicking ass.
- Corran becomes a Jedi. YEA. Crazy stuff happens.
- Corellia decides to go batshit crazy and cause some trouble. Doesn't work out well for them in the end.
- New Jedi Order happens. Vong invade. Cause massive war. Many OT heroes die. Han+Leia's youngest child dies. Mara + Luke = omg ew.
- Galaxy is forever reshaped because the Vong bring a paradigm shift into the universe. Wookiepedia them. They're interesting.
- The New Republic shifts and becomes a new form of Alliance/Empire hybrid. Legacy of the Jedi begin. By now Jedi are as commonplace as Old Republic era. Almost.
- Jacen becomes the next Sith. Bad things happen. Tears apart the Republic+Solo/Skywalker family. Gets put down by his sister. Kills Mara Jade.
- Star Wars left off in limbo from here besides some far off Legacy series stuff involving Luke's great grandson (iirc). Good stuff.

end
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 am

Yep. I'll cover the Legacy part. My memory of events may be mixed up, but I'll try to explain... sort of.

Kol Skywalker is head of the Jedi Order at some point. He's Ben Skywalker's (Luke's son) grandson. He almost dies when Roan Fel's Empire attacks the Jedi temple at Ossus. Roan Fel's Imperial Knights are like... Jedi who serve the Emperor as an embodiment of the Light Side. Yes. It's that convoluted, but it worked for them pretty much until Roan Fel started playing footsie with the One Sith under Darth Krayt. The Imperial Knights are sworn to take out any Emperor that turns to the Dark Side. And yes. It's convoluted. And yes. It's contradictory, because Roan Fel openly works with the Sith at a point and his Imperial Knights just whined a little. And then he got his butt kicked, because a Tusken Jedi that survived Order 66 by going back to the Tuskens had become this super-powered Sith Lord named Darth Krayt. And Darth Krayt doesn't believe in the Rule of Two. He believes in the One Sith. A Sith Order of many who serve one purpose, with the Sith Emperor (Darth Krayt) at the top. We have Darth Talon (Twi'lek), and a few other random alien Sith, and they basically say to Roan Fel: "Your Empire.... isn't your Empire. It's mine." And he and his Imperial Knights bugger off to Bastion, where he maintains a chunk of the Empire as the Empire, even though the Empire in other systems is under Darth Krayt. Yet sometimes, the stormtroopers are ordered to fight stormtroopers. Some Moffs support the Sith, some Moffs support Roan Fel.

Meanwhile, the Jedi got wiped out (again) and their future was (again) in the hands of a Skywalker named Cade. Cade was more of a scoundrel/smuggler type who had a hardcore deathstick habit to make the Force Ghosts go away. He regularly had visions of Luke Skywalker telling him to quit smoking dope, basically. Cade became a Sith (sort of) and then he joined a Jedi remnant (sort of) and kind of danced all around the Light Side/Dark Side like... some kind of Mitt Romney... and off and on the dope (not like Mitt though he's Mormon).

I kind of ditched this series at this point... got all gobbled up into MMO-lands.
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Just to add to Ney's - after Jacen's fall to the Sith, there was another series that had Luke and Ben (his son) traveling around to determine why Jacen fell as there was defintiely a taint. A lost Tribe of Sith who was stranded on a low tech planet got off planet and began wreaking havoc again.

AND coming up is the next Big book in the series main storyline which is going to be an actual Luke-Han-Leia adventure.

Also I'm reading right now Scoundrels a new book by Zahn (he of the famed Thrawn trilogy) that takes place between SW & Empire. Kind of an Oceans 11 in the Galaxy Far Far Away...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Scoundrels sounds badass.

With all this forthcoming work in the EU, it would stand to reason that Disney wasn't planning on mucking it up too badly. Still, there are chunks of the EU that should be mucked with. :p

That said, there are a lot of established events post-Endor. My biggest fear is that they will use too much of the EU and it will be largely predictable because of that. Like if Jacen and Jaina are there, and Jacen turns to the Dark Side at some point and becomes Darth Caedus... or Kyp Durron finds certain artifacts in the temples on Yavin IV... etc, etc.

The established events post-Endor are highly tied with the main characters of the OT. The galaxy is a big place, but it will be difficult to create an original story with the OT characters that doesn't either wreck or 'cinemize' the EU. I really don't want to see a Vong trilogy, or a Dark Empire trilogy, and if we see a Thrawn trilogy, I hope they get rid of some of even that (ysalamri, maybe replace Joruus with a known [and cloned] Jedi from the PT--I know SLJ is up for the task. Maace Winduu anyone?).

That said, I have no idea what direction they will go. Perhaps the sequel trilogy will simply take place over a period of time that the EU hasn't covered yet (like between LotF or whatever's newer and the Legacy comics).
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Captain Obvious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 am

Ney, you left off the return of the sith in your synopsis. Throw in some supernatural being and a living sith vessel called "ship" and the NJO starts looking like a fantastic series.

I did like the legacy series though.
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby LVAD » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am

I don't see how they could ignore the EU - there is a lot of fantastic lore out there. Hell, the X-wing series could be a whole slew of action-intense commando/dog-fighting movies. Stackpole and Allison both did an excellent job. And of course Thrawn would be pretty awesome, as everyone seems to admit. To leave such rich grounds completely out seems foolish.
Hope is a waking dream
-Aristotle

You can't look dignified when you're having fun
-Wes

Sweet dream/New Orleans/Mississippi River running over me...Don't mock/what you don't understand/it's a Southern thang
-Better Than Ezra
LVAD
Scum

Postby Ney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 am

Captain Obvious wrote:Ney, you left off the return of the sith in your synopsis. Throw in some supernatural being and a living sith vessel called "ship" and the NJO starts looking like a fantastic series.

I did like the legacy series though.

Yeah, guess I did. I feel like they never really vanished though. From Joruus C'Boath to Kyp to Kam Solusar to the guy from Rebellion (forget his name) to Kyle Katarn to Lumiya to Vergere to Jacen.... there's really always been at least one sith going around or the influence. It just sort of became an exponential factor towards the end and became a prominent concern in the series.

I also feel like the Legacy series was awesome. To be fair, I liked a good chunk of the NJO too - but felt like 1/3 of the books were just filler to get you through. Ganner's "you shall not pass" scene had me in tears.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby soxtalon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Legacy was pretty cool. Some people didn't like Jacen going darkside but I thought it was well done overall.

NJO was exactly like you said Ney. It would have been awesome if it was 5-6 books instead of like 18 or whatever it was. Although to be fair the other way it kind of was marketed as 5 books or so....there were 5 or 6 tentpole type books in the series and the rest was more spinoff type. However Matthew Stover's Traitor was probably my favorite book in the series and that was a spinoff :P

Ganner's scene was phenomenal though I agree.

The whold Fate of the Jedi and Ship adn return of the Sith was not really to my liking. There were parts of it I loved...the whole Luke/Ben going through the galaxy looking for clues and visiting old EU stomping grounds was fun. Abeloth though and the Sith were...well...grating at best. The main problem though was author Christie Golden...I HATED her work. Not sure what it was but it almost seemed like a Twilight mentality in SW. Hated it. On the other hand Aaron Allston is one of my fav SW authors so reading him was a treat and kept me involved. The third author was Denning who I've never had a problem with and I've liked most of his work in SW so that helped too.

I'm very interested in Crucible (the aformentioned Luke-Han-Leia novel written by Denning)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby The Count » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm

EDIT: Sorry. Wrong thread.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
The Count
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am

Is there an option for "don't care"? The new films could obliterate the Clone Wars TV series (which I adore) and I'd be fine with it, so long as the films themselves made sense and were solid on their own merits.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

^

What Sam said.

But if I had to bet - i'd bet that the new movies would only incorporate some EU elements as fan service at best. EU will be an alternate universe and not canon.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Viper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Drunken Irish Picnic wrote:^

What Sam said.

But if I had to bet - i'd bet that the new movies would only incorporate some EU elements as fan service at best. EU will be an alternate universe and not canon.

Yeah, kinda like the Sarah Connor Chronicles and how it pretty much shit all over the continuity of the Terminator franchise. But holy shit I loved that show.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby Shem » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:54 am

I'd expect most of the EU will be thrown out. Look at what the movies and the Clone Wars Series has done to some of the old EU material. It's like they didn't care what was written before. I'd expect most of these new stories to be fresh.
"I'm proud of you, Dustil. You aren't hanging onto a lie after you see it for what it is. Not everyone could do that."
--Carth Onasi

Watch my KOTOR Videos on YouTube
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JediShemL
Shem
Thief

Postby McIntyre4077 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm

They will destroy most of the EU. It was never cannon to begin with. All EU is essentially fan fiction of you think about it. Disney wants money. They have plans for movies and spinoffs and god knows what else. They won't want to be weighed down by stories that they didn't improve or might not match with their market research. Sell a book is different than selling a movie.

I think they will take some interesting characters from the EU. The EU will be like the minor leagues of the sequel trilogy
McIntyre4077
Scum

Return to Episode VII : The Force Awakens