Star Wars EU will *officially* not be part of new films

Star Wars EU will *officially* not be part of new films

Postby Manowan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Sorry all you Thrawn and EU fans.

The dream is officially over. No EU in the new films

http://collider.com/star-wars-movies-expanded-universe/
You still have much to learn my young apprentice.
Manowan
Thief

Re: Star Wars EU will *officially* not be part of new films

Postby soxtalon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:28 am

Well I got a few things to say here.

a. I like the idea behind it. There's been "wars" over what is "canon" and what isn't forever (silly, I thinik). So now if they move forward with a plan where everything released is a widening of the universe but is definitely IN-story? That is a bold plan that could have amazing results. Could it also suck ass and be too limiting? Perhaps but I'm definitely intrigued.

b. Wiping away the EU to me doesnt' diminish what I've enjoyed thus far. It doesn't change anything about it. This is a fictional universe. I can choose my own fucking canon and decide that the story works that way and what are you going to do about it? :P

c. I don't think it's all black and white. From reading this report....it's basically just saying the same thing we've always known. The films (and TV shows) are not tied to the books/comics. They ALWAYS had the chance of invalidating the EU. They are just basically saying that will continue. If a writer wants to pick and choose elements from the existing EU to "canonize?" They certainly will! Just like the mentioned Sienar, etc.

So to me, this is all not so much news with the exception of the idea that moving forward everything released is now part of the grand scheme plan...which I like the idea of :)
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Shem » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 am

Think of this as a reboot, sort of like how Man of Steel rebooted the Superman movie franchise last year, except that we're just keeping the movies and the Clone Wars animated series.
"I'm proud of you, Dustil. You aren't hanging onto a lie after you see it for what it is. Not everyone could do that."
--Carth Onasi

Watch my KOTOR Videos on YouTube
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JediShemL
Shem
Thief

Postby The Count » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:10 pm

There really wasn't anything else they could have done. This allows them, though, to cherry pick some of the best EU themes (if they so choose) without having to "stick to the book." I'm sure we'll end up seeing certain characters like Mara Jade and the Solo kids even if they're named something different.
You fire your musket, but I'll run you through.

The Glory at PoP's Right Hand
The Count
Thief

Postby herumorna » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 am

Always going to happen purely from a commercial perspective. The films are much bigger around the world than the EU.

Disney's going to do everything to milk this global tit dry.
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Return to Episode VII : The Force Awakens