What I want for Ep VII (and beyond)

What I want for Ep VII (and beyond)

Postby Sarc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:18 am

Like everyone else who is a fan of Star Wars I have browsed all the Episode VII related articles that come out about the upcoming movie(s). I have also read some of the online comments that people post, such as on Yahoo etc..., one of the things that disturbed me was when I saw people talking about the light sabre duels and how the OT sucked because it was "slow" and not exciting. Um, what?

I personally think the OT duels outclass anything the PT had to offer, including the Maul/Obi wan duel.

Anyways, that got me to thinking about what I personally want to see for Episode VII and the rest of the ST overall. Just a warning some of these are extremely nitpicky!!!

1) Less freaking CGI.......one of things that made the PT unbearable for me was that it looked "fake", felt like I was watching a cartoon. The sets, ships, locations, etc... didn't feel "real". I was happy when I heard Abrams announce that they were going to be doing as much practical effects work as possible.

2) Get back to basics. This is probably what I couldn't stand the most of in the PT, that is Lightsabre effects. I don't know what the hell they did but the sabre effects were absolutely horrible in the PT as compared to the OT, granted they were "great" in ANH but still......all of the duels/effects look like crap to me because all you see is a huge flash of light on the screen and can't see shit. Prime example is the Obi/Anakin duel in ROTS. That was the worst duel in my opinion because you can't see a damn thing and all you see is a big blur.

3) Sound effects. This one is really nitpicking. There are several instances in the PT that seem odd, think of the scene in AOTC when Anakin is on the speeder and Zam fires her gun at the controls, the pistol sound effects are similar if not the same as a tie fighter firing. Also why the hell did they change the effects for laser blasts? Needless change.

I think if the PT had used more practical effects the movies may have been better received by people like me who loved the OT. I'm guessing a lot of the people who were younger might not agree with all of this, but I think most OT purists have issues with the effects moreso than the actual story. I think if you compare the OT versus the PT, the OT crushes it everytime. Battles, effects, story, acting, etc....

Thoughts?
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Re: What I want for Ep VII (and beyond)

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 am

From what I've read, it seems JJ Abrams is trying to take a much more traditional, less CGI-heavy approach to making the film. Which would fit much of your wish list. Of course, none of that will matter if the story sucks.

My only problem with the PT duels is that they lacked the personal conflict of the OT duels. That, and they ramped up their speed to 11 without anything in between. The closest to that was the Anakin-Dooku duel in AOTC. Otherwise, I enjoyed the PT duels.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Sarc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:52 pm

I definitely like Abrams statements about using less CGI. Disliked the PT duels if only because the sabres are so damn bright all you see is a big blur because they are so bright and they are swinging them so fast. The obi/maul duel was decent in the fact that there are times when the camera is zoomed out the blurring isn't so noticeable.

I just watched episodes 1-6 since it had been awhile, forgot how cartoony the PT looked. The background CGI'ish just ruins it for me anyways. In all honesty I can't believe the same guy who wrote American Graffiti also wrote the PT......
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Viper » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:34 am

I thought the duels were the best part of the PT. The OT duels were good for their emotional impact, but the actual duel left a lot to be desired in terms of actual action.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 pm

I agree with Sam about the story. At the end of the day - it's going to be about the script. If the script is solid, bet on a solid movie. Biggest issue for me in the PT isn't the effects, or how cartoony it could look (which granted - it did). It was that I didn't care about anyone.

Repeat - anyone.

Oh, Qui Gon's dead. Okay.

Oh, Padme's dead. Okay.

Oh, (insert character ending moment here). Okay.

Everybody except for the Emperor was a dry cardboard cut out of a character in the movie. No passion, etc. Wooden dialogue spouted from people walking and talking mixed with action sequences.

If the script and story is solid with characters I can actually invest in - i'll enjoy it.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Viper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 pm

You're right about the script. I thought the acting was terrible in many places and just assumed that the actors were bad. But most of them are pretty good in other movies. So, it was a combination of script plus direction that made those scenes clunky. But at the end of the day, I still enjoyed the PT. And I think it hits it's target demographic (kids) just fine. Let's not forget that this was originally meant to be a kid/family movie. Too many movies these days seem to forget that. As well as their critics.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Postby herumorna » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:50 pm

I quite enjoyed the Anakin-Obi Wan-Dooku-Yoda duel but that might just be because of watching Yoda fight. Was spoiler free for that and nearly choked on my popcorn when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber.

Not sure why this sticks out but I loved the sound of the seismic charges in AOTC (Boba and Obi Wan's dogfight in the asteroid field)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFcYsC6JaY[/youtube]
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby Manowan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:44 pm

1. I want to see Luke at true Jedi Master levels. He is the son of Skywalker, he should be a powerful Jedi Master and I want this shown.

2. I want to see Leia as a powerful Jedi as well. Her power was only hinted at, now I want to see it in use.

3. Lots of Han Solo. He's one of the greatest characters in the SW universe. Lots of Han please!

4. Lightsaber fights galore.

5. Mandalorians!

6. Force Ghosts!

That's all I can think of for now.
You still have much to learn my young apprentice.
Manowan
Thief

Return to Episode VII : The Force Awakens