C3PO's red arm

C3PO's red arm

Postby Shaft » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:39 pm

The story of C3PO's red arm in Episode VII was recently revealed in a Marvel comic book:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11437516/star-wars-c3po-red-arm-force-awakens-backstory

I was wondering what the red arm was all about, since we see that he has a normal-colored gold arm waving goodbye to the Falcon at the end of the movie.

When I saw the movie, I figured this was explained away in a deleted scene. When it wasn't mentioned in the deleted scenes, I assumed it was a hook for him to annoyingly/comically introduce himself to Han Solo (and the audience) once again, thinking that Han might not recognize him with the new arm.

Or do you think this was thrown in with either this specific comic book in mind, or with a "contest" to come up with a suitable backstory for the arm, the winner getting published?
I never underestimate their chances.
Shaft
Scum

Re: C3PO's red arm

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:01 pm

According to the documentary on making the movie, JJ did it just to "make sure you know what era C3PO is in when you see him." It was apparently inspired by A New Hope - 3PO has a silver leg for most of the movie, and in the finale and ceremony he is finally all the same color.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Return to Episode VII : The Force Awakens