EP VIII SPOILERS

Spoilers Allowed

EP VIII SPOILERS

Postby Manowan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:05 pm

You still have much to learn my young apprentice.
Manowan
Thief

Re: EP VIII SPOILERS

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Alright, fixed that. Google made some changes and the BBCode needed to be tweaked a little to work right.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Sarc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Taking a guess that Rey is Luke's kid, and Ep8 will be a battle of Cousins possibly?

Hoping for some more OT characters to have a little bit more screen time. Didn't mind Rey, Finn....meh. Poe, doesn't really matter one way or another. Hell I was stoked to see Max Von Sydow on the big screen again.

I didn't mind Ep7, they played it safe, and by all that is holy they did a pretty decent job of not blowing their load on CGI like Lucas did. Ep7 didn't look like a trailer for a video game let's put it that way.

If they could just get the sabres to look like ESB/ROTJ I'd actually be pretty happy. I get that Adam Driver's is supposed to look rough and unfinished, but I was disappointed in how Luke's/Anakins was done. *shrugs* Pretty low on my list though seeing as how I was just happy Ep7 didn't suck majorly.

My only real beef when I left the theater was that there wasn't anything "memorable", so to speak.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Shaft » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:54 pm

It was a rough time for the site to have a hiccup, but glad (and surprised) to see it back up.

The absence of Phatooine felt like an imbalance in the Force, which is not coincidentally what I think happened in these new movies when Luke went into exile. The Light was forced to act to repair the imbalance, and "awoke" in Rey. Even after destroying the Republic and leaving the Resistance as a rag-tag band, Snoke still seems convinced that if Luke lives to train new Jedi, the Light would ultimately overwhelm the Dark and defeat the First Order. Snoke is not one to underestimate the Light Side's chances.

I think these movies are ultimately going to come down to the whole idea of "balance" in the Force. You can't have too much of one side in power in the galaxy, there must be some happy medium. Could this be Kylo Ren, who may ultimately develop into a being that can have the Light and the Dark exist within himself without being "dominated" by either? Or is it Rey, whose very name implies Light, but whose first acts overtly using the Force were quite Dark-tinged (mind reading, mind trick)? Or both? Or neither?

That being said, I probably would have given up checking in here had I not read a fan theory this morning that explained how Supreme Leader Snoke was actually the force ghost of Darth Plagueis inhabiting the burned dead corpse of Anakin Skywalker (to be fair, the scars on his face are similarly positioned). I imagined all the fun we would have had moderating the debate on this theory back in the day...

As far as who Rey is, I'm thinking she's a Kenobi, so we can have the twist of an Old Skywalker training a Young Kenobi next movie. I'm basing it off the British accent and the line that Ewan McGregor ("these are your first steps") recorded for the end of her visionquest.
I never underestimate their chances.
Shaft
Scum

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm

I just hope they've got something interesting up the sleeve with regard to Rey. That she's "someone's daughter" just seems a bit.............. i dunno what the word i'm looking for is here. Overly-re-hashed maybe?
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Shaft » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm

The thing is that if there weren't more to her heritage, they could have very easily conveyed that in the film. Yeah, I realize that if they gave her character a last name, people would still be speculating that she was adopted, etc. But at least if that was all there was to it, the filmmakers could fall back on the fact that fans should have taken what they gave them at face value, that they wanted to establish a new hero that wasn't tied to one of the original 5 or so characters.

Though it's not like a JJ Abrams project to set up what looks like a potentially important mystery in a storyline only to reveal that it didn't matter all along (*cough* Lost *cough*).

It wouldn't matter to me in the least if she wasn't a Kenobi or Skywalker or some long-lost Plagueis/Palpatine relation. In fact, it statistically would make sense that she wasn't, and it would avoid the now-cliche "I am your father"-style reveal. There were enough parallels between Episode 4 and 7 as it was.
Shaft
Scum

Postby Sarc » Wed May 04, 2016 9:32 am

I read that synopsis that leaked a couple of weeks back that said Rey is Anakin reincarnated. Don't have time to dig for the link but it was interesting to say the least.
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Postby Shaft » Wed May 04, 2016 7:16 pm

This is the link to that theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyrOhxBVcU
Shaft
Scum

Return to Episode VIII : The Last Jedi