Game of Thrones

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Scarlet » Fri May 10, 2013 2:13 am

The motto of House Lannister is Hear me roar. How far did you get in watching the series, and why didn't it appeal to you?
Scarlet
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Fri May 10, 2013 12:20 pm

I actually prefer the more used but unofficial motto: A Lannister always pays his debts!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Scarlet wrote:The motto of House Lannister is Hear me roar. How far did you get in watching the series, and why didn't it appeal to you?

Ah ... makes sense now.

I got all of two episodes into the series. I found the first episode gratuitous - and for more reasons than the naked bits that kept dangling about (which, admittedly, made me =p~ ). The whole boy-discovers-secret-so-is-pushed-off-ledge bit made me 8-| . And the whole wedding ceremony for the blonde girl made me :-?? And the melodramatic politicking made me 8-} .

I certainly don't mind melodrama (I do enjoy North and South after all), but the series seemed to be trying too hard to be too edgy, hip, or more cool than me (in which case it wouldn't have had to try very hard at all :-B ).

Then again, I fully admit that I may not have been in the right mindset to begin with when I started watching it. And it may very well be my contrarian nature which keeps me from giving it a chance while everyone I know sings its praises from the top of the wall that little boy was pushed from. But I've yet to hear a compelling reason why I should give it another try other than the ubiquitous "It's so good!" line. :o)

Why am I using so many smilies? :p
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 am

Well what appeals to me is a sense of such a complex world. I mean everything is detailed so everything seems...real in a sense. (in a world with dragons, and bits of the supernatural.)

Secondly is almost all the characters are interesting...especially some of the secondary ones you haven't even met yet such as Varys and Littlefinger

Thirdly what might put some off and is both a hindrance and something that keeps me intrigued is both a. you don't know who to really root for as Martin will introduce a character one way and you think oh yeah this guy's a fucktard. Then he'll show you the same character from a different angle and you gain a sort of sympathy for the flawed character. But more...no one's safe so it keeps it from being too predictable.

I think the only one safe at this point is Tyrion who even if he died in the books would probably find a way to stick around in the series as he's too popular lol...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK » Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Never been into this genre, however, this sucked me in from the beginning. Watched about half of Season 1, and then started reading the books. Burned thru those and am currently watching Season 3 Part 1 of the show. It's fantastic. My worry is that GRRM won't complete the series of novels and that the show will catch up and pass the books. I like reading then watching the show. Even though they aren't the same, it makes for a wonderful experience, seeing characters develop on screen.
Yippie-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon.
TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK
Scum

Postby Scarlet » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 pm

I agree. Although there are differences between the books and the show, they are still excellent companion pieces to each other. Reading the books is like having access to the thoughts, memories and unspoken opinions of the characters on screen.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am

^ How many of the books have you read? And what would you say the show has that the books don't?
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Scarlet » Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 am

I just finished listening to the first book, and started on the second. Each chapter in the book follows a POV perspective of one of the main characters, and that's essentially how the story gets told. So you really get to explore the insights, opinions, attitudes, thoughts and memories of that character. The show, on the other hand, focuses more on the story-telling aspect, while still showing character development.

As companion pieces, the show tells the story, and the books are like reading the characters' journals.

The show does fill in the blanks where the POV chapters can not. I guess it shows the "truth" - what happens, and not just a character's point of view. The show makes explicit what is only implied in the books.

It's telling the same story from a more objective point of view: the storyteller's, rather than the characters. And it's more linear in nature.

(Hoping that others can elaborate or correct if I'm mistaken).
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 am

Sounds like an intriguing dynamic. For my part, though, I must admit the sheer size of each book is ... well ... daunting. :))

What would you say is the single most compelling element of the show/book series? If it's world detail, why is this world worth investing in (or, perhaps, what sets it apart from Middle Earth, Potter's England, Dungeons and Dragons, etc.)? If it's characters, why are its morally ambiguous characters more compelling than, say, BSG or Mad Men (both of which present character that are, to me, unlikable)?
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm

The books are daunting and the world could be called too complex by some - it isn't a passive read or view that's for certain. There are two parts that really make it worth investing in are:
a. Usually in fantasy there are the good guys and the bad guys and maybe a neutral third party. Sure it's easy to see who to route for,etc. BUT this world has multiple factions and are both righteous in some ways and flawed in others. It is a far more realistic take on a society in a fantasy setting than we usually see.

b. I like the fact that we do get to see both sides of the character. Especially in the books with the POV chapters you are presented with a character one way and then you might get to read the same bit from the other view a bit later so it really makes you stop and analyze the character to decide how you feel about them. It's not the old - this is the hero - like him and root for him. This is the baddie - you hate him. It almost makes it more rewarding to root for the characters you like....or in some ways at least relate to.

c. With that being said and this might be specifically for you EP but there are characters who thus far *ARE* easy to root for and they aren't so morally ambiguous. They still may have flaws but they are ultimately good people and worth fighting for. To that end I would name Jon Snow, Danaerys Targaryen and to a degree Tyrion Lannister as among those..(Tyrion may be a bit of a stretch but ultimately you do root for him)...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Scarlet » Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 am

I find the psychology of the characters to be exquisite. And the interrelated themes and layers of complexity are labyrinths I am happy to be lost in.

There's a moment where Tyrion challenges John Snow to use the demeaning label of bastard as his armor. "Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." And that is what Jaime does, too. But he's worn the epithet of Kingslayer as his armor for so long that the honorable motives that led him to the choices he made have not seen daylight for so long. Until Brienne with her stubborn principles chipped away at the Kingslayer armor piece by piece, and she finally sees Ser Jaime, and calls him by that name. No-one had ever seen him before. Not his sister, not his father, not even his brother.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm

I find the show hit or miss - but the hits are good enough to keep me watching it.

It boils down to this:

-Naked chick with dragons is awesome (although not naked enough since season 1)
-The dwarf. is. fucking. awesome.
-I'm just waiting for somebody to kill Joffrey, that little twerp.

All of that said - i'm about 3 episodes behind. Just haven't felt like catching up just yet. I think it's a good show and i'll watch it. It just doesn't have its hooks in me is all. In comparison, I am absolutely foaming at the mouth for the final episodes of Breaking Bad.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Holy Moly! Last night's episode was fantastic. I knew how it would end, but still wanted to cover my eyes. It was painful to watch. That being said, there are still so many awesome things to come.

In regard to the most intriguing element from the books/movies: it's been amazing how you will root for one character only to boo him/her later and vice versa. The consequences of decisions made or not made have positive and negative effects for each character as well as those around them. Also, I've never been so emotional about a series. When I read in A Storm of Swords what happened in last nights episode, for example, I physically threw the book across the room. I was mad. Mad at the author and mad because I thought I was wasting my time reading, yet, I pressed on.

I've never read fantasy before. But as Sox said above, there is so much grey in this world. Everyone is good and bad. There really aren't any white hats or black, twirly mustaches. Unless you count Littlefinger, and he's just a douche.
Yippie-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon.
TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK
Scum

Postby Scarlet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK wrote:it's been amazing how you will root for one character only to boo him/her later and vice versa.

I know what you mean. I experienced something similar with Catelyn - she has annoyed me from Day 1, both on the show and listening to the books. But the other night I felt genuine sorrow for her, despite all her flaws and annoyances.

For me, this isn't a universe I can escape to from the mediocrity of everyday life - the author forces me to confront and suffer the consequences of choices through characters I've become attached to. Like people I care about in my own life, I can't compel them to choose correctly, nor do I even know what the best choice may be - I can only be there to celebrate in their triumphs or commiserate with their losses.

lol@viewer reactions
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 am

Okay ... so ... I'm downloading the GoT audio book. I promise to give it a try. Mayhap it'll break through my fog of uncertainty.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:07 am

I'll be VERY interested to hear your thoughts...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Whispers » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:22 am

TARKINS_FOUL_SOCK wrote: Unless you count Littlefinger, and he's just a douche.

=)) A douche with a twirly moustache. He makes my skin crawl.
I will find you
Whispers
Witch Admin of Phatooine

Postby celestia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello all! It's been a while since I've run into you lot. I recall back in 2005/6 seeing a ASOIAF board up and being very flippant about it. Fantasy series can run quite long and sometimes they're a bit trite. It was just last year that someone mentioned it to me again - talking about the tv show - and I thought what the hell I'd give it a go. Wow. I'm obsessed with it. I read all five books in a couple of months and now I'm stuck waiting for book six with everyone else.

Not sure where everyone is this season ... They did slow the show's storyline down quite a bit. The last couple of episodes have been pretty great, though; and next week is going to be amazing.

Basically, I can't get enough of these characters.

As maddening as it is for me that GRRM refuses to use adverbs and replaces them in his text with adjectives, he is a master of character development, and good character development is why I read for pleasure.
"she behaves as if she was beautiful. most american women do. it is the secret of their charm."
oscar wilde
celestia
Scum

Postby herumorna » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Holy crap its cel! How have you been?

GRRM has released three chapters from the next book on his website if you need a fix SPOILER ALERT (POV's of Theon, Arianne and Mercy)

As maddening as it is for me that GRRM refuses to use adverbs and replaces them in his text with adjectives

:))
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby celestia » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Heya Heru! I'm doing really well, thanks! How is life going for you?

I did find those three chapters and I've really enjoyed them - also the three Dunk and Egg stories GRRM published in anthologies. I think there is one other ASIOF novella he just published recently in Dangerous Women, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Still can't wait for book 6 though ...

And yeah, it's probably terribly pedantic of me to complain about the lack of adverbs. I just find it really grating! Not that it will keep me from reading on. There are several authors who insist using adverbs makes for weak writing. As a reader, though, I say that's BS.
"she behaves as if she was beautiful. most american women do. it is the secret of their charm."
oscar wilde
celestia
Scum

Postby soxtalon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:43 am

Cel!!!! Great to see you! I got obsessed with these when I first started reading in the early 00s. I was excited to see a television series being made and am pleased to see it done in such high quality.

My wife wanted to read up to where she was in the TV show so she could still be surprised when watching the show...and couldn't do it. She finished it and is now waiting with the rest of us for the next installment.

I'll be honest, I don't know where I stand on the adverb controversy ;)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Previous

Return to Media