The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:21 pm

I was thinking today about the film's final scenes and how PJ will choose to bookend his saga. He's finishing not just a movie, not just a trilogy, but the whole thing. He seems to have a pretty good sense of how significant these moments are. And I imagine Billy's song is a key part of it.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby herumorna » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Takes a brave man to discount The Silmarillion decalogy New Line inevitably have lined up.
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:10 am

^ That, or knowledge that Tolkien's estate has not granted movie rights to The Silmarillion. ;)
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Yeah, that whole Chris Tolkien/Saul Zaentz war... no, I don't expect to see the Silmarillion in film form in... ever.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:23 pm

I don't know...$1B per pic can grease a lot of palms.......just sayin'
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:51 am

You'd think so. But until there's some turnover at the Tolkien estate ... it ain't happening'. :p

And even then, I highly doubt we'd see a Peter Jackson/Howard Shore version of the Silmarillion. I think they're done with the franchise now. And, to be honest, as much as I love their combined works (*really* love them - and can't wait to see the finale), for the future, I'd prefer to see a fresh take on the material.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby herumorna » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:52 am

Christopher Tolkien's nearly 500 years old now. Once he moves on, I can definitely see the estate licensing spinoff movies for characters as long as they don't break canon, I mean if Lucas could sell Star Wars...

I'd love to see the end of the Second Age (Last Alliance of Elves & Men) done properly. Might be weak in terms of ending though since we all know how it turns out.
herumorna
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 am

Loved BOTFA. As expected, it was mostly spectacle. But there were some poignant moments, some humor, and enough character work to make it all worthwhile.

And of course, the score is amazing.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Excellent! Going tonight to see it :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

After seeing it - I can understand why some wouldn't like it. It really is just one big battle sequence to be honest which means less....plot I guess you could say.

However I still enjoyed it quite a bit. If you expect a ROTK type emotional ending, you don't really get that though there are certainly some poignant moments and Billy Boyd's song hit home. The spectacle was spot on and the characterizations were nice as well. Still love all Martin Freeman does.

The whole Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman being bad asses made for a nice addition.

Beyond that in an interesting note:
It kind of did an opposite of LOTR in one fashion.

In LOTR it took away the subplot that Denethor's interaction with the palantir helped drive him crazy which lessened his character and made him FAR less sympathetic....where as in BOTFA, it added more solidity to Thorin having an affliction which in turn made his character MORE sympathetic. I did think it was a nice add as Thorin can be a difficult like in the novel.

Hopefully the Extended Edition will add a bit more to the Beorn/Eagles coming to the rescue.

The ending with the FOTR scene done from Bilbo's POV rather than Gandalf's was a nice touch.

I also highly enjoyed Billy Conolly as Dain.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 am

Yeah, Connolly as Dain was a showstopper. Really great/fun stuff there. And you're right, the film is, essentially, a long, extended battle sequence. I thought it was interesting, though, that it shifted from the grand spectacle of armies clashing, to the individual battles of Bard, Tauriel, Legolas, Thorin, Azog, Bolg, Bilbo, etc. The film really did try to personalize the epic battle as much as possible.

I also agree about the approach to Thorin's madness. His "epiphany" scene is a bit ... odd ... but, for me anyway, it worked. And seeing him redeem himself for his earlier prideful actions was a genuine payoff.

The one thing I most regret is the ending ... and how I think it was influenced by all of the ribbing ROTK took for its extended endings. By contrast, the endings here felt rushed. And I'd wager it's because PJ wanted to avoid the same criticisms - which, to me anyway, were bunk.

In any case, I look forward to *more* ... from the inevitable EE ... and, hopefully (*fingers crossed*) Complete Recordings of these films. I'm already going through all three soundtracks and identifying themes. I'll likely do some mixes (like my LOTR Ultimate Soundtrack), but I'd love to have as much material as possible.

Really, that's what all of this boils down to. Sure, there are flaws ... and superfluous elements ... but on the balance, the more Middle Earth we get from PJ & co. ... the better!
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Agreed on that last statement...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby herumorna » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Giving Tauriel hours of facetime and then reducing Beorn to a 10-second airdrop cameo f*cked me right off.
herumorna
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:21 am

Her character was rather more interesting, however. ;)
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby herumorna » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 pm

:) don't get me wrong Evangeline Lilly is quite the looker (I actually thought the inter-species love story angle wasn't as ham-handed as it could have been) but Beorn was an important character (and so friggin cool).

I can discount the studio's naked avarice and Peter Jackson's self-indulgence but atleast highlight the stuff that deserves to be highlighted from the book.
herumorna
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:38 am

Well, unless I'm misremembering, Beorn (cool though he may be) really wasn't a major factor in the book, either. Not much more prominent than the trolls, really. He served as a foil for comic relief (the two-by-two introduction of the dwarves - which Gandalf also used for Bilbo) and lending his ponies for the trip to the edge of Mirkwood. His mention for the battle is maybe two paragraphs, and happens after the fact. And while you could make the argument that he helps secure the victory, it's not as if his character (i.e. his personality, inner conflict, etc.) are a major factor in his actions. He's just part of the book's deus ex machina. The actions of Tauriel, on the other hand, are entirely based on personal motivations, inner and outer conflicts and so on. Don't get me wrong, I like Beorn - and would have liked to see more of him. But I think, within the story the movies were constructing, Tauriel was the stronger, more interesting character.

Though, I did find the lack of resolution to her character a bit unfulfilling. Did she return to being Captain of the Guard for Thranduil? Did she remain in exile? Did she fall for another young Dwarf? Ori, perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know! :p

ETA:
Emperor's Prize wrote:that ought to set up a proper LOTR:EE marathon shortly thereafter. I haven't done that in a long time ... a long time. ;)

I finally got around to doing this today. My friend (who went to the Hobbit trilogy marathon with me a couple of weeks back) came by and we did the LOTR:EE. Took us twelve hours (and lots of beer, pizza, popcorn, and other assorted foods and beverages), but the quest was completed! I had forgotten how much fun (and how profound) it is to see those movies one after the other.

It's been ... oh, what, maybe nine years since I've done that? I shouldn't wait that long again.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:52 pm

Young Gimli found her and shagged her ass leading to the personal confrontation between Gimli and Legolas later on that they had to overcome....;)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 am

Brilliant! [face_laughclap]
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:42 pm

"don't get me wrong Evangeline Lilly is quite the looker"

^

My eyes glancing over this read it as

"don't get me wrong, Evangeline Lilly is quite the hooker"

:))
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Previous

Return to Media