The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

The Hobbit Soundtrack

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 am

As an avid fan of the LOTR score (and a lucky chap who had dinner with Maestro Shore - yay me!), I am eagerly awaiting the Hobbit scores. We got a sneak-listen for the first Hobbit trailer last year. Now there's this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vWnwPdZ3Oc[/youtube]

My reaction: The whole track had me off-balance from start to finish. It was wildly eclectic ... energetic ... and both familiar and very different at the same time.

Which makes no sense, I know. But maybe that's because I've just listened to the LOTR score too often. :p

I enjoyed it.

But ... is this legitimate? This disjointed nature of the track makes it seem more like a medley than an actual theme. And I'm not familiar enough with Shore's work beyond LOTR (and Hugo) to know if someone simply pulled in disparate cues from other scores. Still, io9 is reporting it as legit.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Re: The Hobbit Soundtrack

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 am

I agree - it does seem a bit more a bunch of cues together than a solid track...although in all fairness, sometimes after listening to something for so long (LOTR) sometimes something new in that vein can be offputting simply because it's new...I want to give it a few more spins... I do like it so far though :D

I didn't know you had a dinner with Howard? DOOO tell how that came about....and what a privllege. Knowing you as I do, I'm sure you had a ton of questions!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm

I met Maestro Shore in 2010 during the Two Towers at Radio City Music Hall weekend (Dauntlessmedia earned a blurb at the bottom of the promo page for my review from the previous year). The event coincided with the release of Doug Adams' book The Music of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (which is brilliant - and comes with a Rarities CD) as well Maestro Shore's birthday.

I'd been following Doug's blog and the others were organizing a meetup to celebrate the weekend, following a book signing. I was lucky enough to be able to join them. The results (That's Doug Adams to the left, in both shots):
Image Image Image

I had a thousand questions for Maestro Shore, but I only asked him one - which was: "I know you can't say anything official about it, but hypothetically speaking, have you found yourself thinking about or planning music for a Hobbit film?" His answer: "Hypothetically? Absolutely." Really nice guy - quiet, but very gracious and appreciative of the attention lavished upon him.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm

That's a great story! Seems like a great individual!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm

More Hobbit score previews:

linky

=p~
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:46 pm

After a first listen: Hobbit theme's there. Mordor theme. Misty Mountains is EPIC. Rivendell's theme. Lorien. Gollum.

I really enjoyed the collection of clips. Lots of nostalgia with the old themes popping up now and then, while the rest remains tantalizing.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 am

Okay Hobbitses ... here's your full monty:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 pm

After listening to the first post, I decided to try to not listen until I see the film. I haven't done it that way with a film I truly care about in awhile. I trust Howard quite a bit so I have faith it will work and I want to be awed in the theater :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Having listened to the entire score a couple times now, I can safely say: You will be awed.

You. Will. Be. :ymsmug:
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm

:))

That's a much different face than Yoda made ;) :P
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/04/ ... ney-review

Interesting. Not encouraging as it kind of confirms my fears when I heard they'd stretch this to a "trilogy" but i'll still go see it. B-)
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Re: Hobbit Reviews

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

It's a dangerous business, Frodo my lad, viewing the past through rose-colored glasses ...

IGN wrote:except that unlike the preceding trilogy it takes a full hour for anything to really happen here.

However ... Frodo and Sam don't set off on their own until 45 minutes into FOTR: EE and don't encounter the Black Riders until 55 minutes into the film. So Jackson taking his time before sending his heroes out on the quest is not without precedent. I certainly expect the Bag End sequences to take a lot of time establishing things like the dwarves, their quest, the larger picture The Hobbit now fits into. If it does that, it'll mirroring FOTR - and considering its the LOTR film I most enjoy, that's all to the best.

As for the CGI elements ... I'll have to wait and see.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 pm

True, but then again remember - that is the "extended" edition you're talking about, which wasn't really put out there for the general theatrical film public.

Another one from aintitcool, similar opinion: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59869
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Drunken Irish Picnic wrote:True, but then again remember - that is the "extended" edition you're talking about, which wasn't really put out there for the general theatrical film public.

True, but the point still remains ... regardless of the version, FOTR took nearly three quarters of an hour before the Hobbits left Bag End (and much longer before their encounter with the Black Riders and their exit from The Shire). And hell, it's possible that AUJ just might drag things out far too much (clearly it has for many of the early reviewers). But Jackson has done heavy amounts of backstory and setup before so it's not ... unexpected (pun intended). The reviewer seems to have conveniently forgotten that point.

*shrug*
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Re: The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 am

On another note, there's 20 minutes of behind the scenes footage available:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhueVaxMmZY[/youtube]

ETA:
Merged the review topic with the Hobbit soundtrack topic to create one all-encompassing Hobbit thread.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Don't get me wrong Sam, I agree with you there. I thoroughly enjoyed the extended editions and prefer them to the theatrical cuts. The LOTR books are so rich with material that fills the world, it was nice to have that added back in and I thought that the pacing of the extended editions was pitch perfect.

What worries me about The Hobbit is that it is the opposite scenario. Instead of having to condense a large quantity of material, they have to expand on a considerably smaller quantity of material. That's why i'm not surprised some folks aren't liking the pacing thus far with complaints about the dinner scene.

Either way, who knows. Haven't seen it yet. I'll make up my own mind when I do. B-)
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I had the same fears you had Alex. It was somewhat assuaged when they mentioned fitting the appendices in...but still. THREE films? BUT either way I still definitely look forward to it!

FOTR in the original trilogy was the one that followed the book almost exactly (minus the Tom Bombadil sequences)...but the reviews do make it seem a bit like they are going to be shoehorning in LOTR characters as much as possible for familiarity purposes...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Drunken Irish Picnic wrote:What worries me about The Hobbit is that it is the opposite scenario. Instead of having to condense a large quantity of material, they have to expand on a considerably smaller quantity of material. That's why i'm not surprised some folks aren't liking the pacing thus far with complaints about the dinner scene.

Oh yeah, there's a legitimate chance that Jackson will stretch things too much, "like butter scraped over too much bread," ;) but here's why I'm not yet that concerned (until I see the film): The Hobbit is written in a surprisingly compact narrative style. A lot of scenes happen with little description or dialogue. As just one example, the "stone giants" that get flashed in the trailers comes from a single line of text:

"When he peeped out in the lightning flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang."
In fact the whole thunderstorm scene takes all of two pages in the book. To do that scene any justice on-screen will take more time than that.

Jackson is clearly going to add some padding with material from the appendices. But even without doing so, there's more than enough from The Hobbit itself to justify two movies, if not three.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Salty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 am

Looking forward to seeing this Saturday.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 am

Just got home from seeing it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I can definitely see why some critics would have wanted events to move more swiftly. But honestly, I loved how immersive the opening 30-45 minutes were. They really stayed true to many of the novel's early beats - and it certainly worked for me. Also, this film is more cartoonish and hyperbolic than LOTR. I think this fits the less serious story. But I can see it throwing off some fans of the LOTR.

More critical, though, is the presence of Radagast and Azog. Radagast serves a legitimate purpose, but he's waaaay too over-the-top. Azog's presence is part of the long-term plans for the trilogy and he becomes a foil for both Thorin and Bilbo. But most of his scenes felt like a commercial break. Sadly, Christopher Lee's scene feels like he was filmed in isolation from the others. Given the alternative (no Christopher Lee), I'm thrilled he's there. But it's not hidden very well. Also at issue is Bilbo's "heroic" moment which, in the book, happened in Mirkwood. It happens in this film. And it seems too soon. But I wonder if it's just my preconception at work.

The best? Riddles In The Dark. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan. The humor - I honestly laughed often. Bilbo's personal journey. Howard Shore. Galadriel. The way the eagles were handled.

And the very last shot of the film.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Tegarend » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

Looking forward to this! Hope it's gonna be good...
Have you hugged your Teggy bear already today?

*P*aladin *o*f *P*urple
Tegarend
Scum

Postby soxtalon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for the review! I am extremely excited! :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:26 am

Just got back! I will post a more detailed review later but overall I was highly satisfied!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Triple post ftw!

Ok

I saw it in the fancy schmancy 48 fps HD 3D. I'm torn in how this works. In some ways it makes it look more like a television show tbh. But for some shots it is jaw droppingly awesome. There was a sequence early on with Bilbo looking out the window and it looked like I was there in Bag End just behind him looking over his shoulder. I mean it was just real. I wasn't watching a film. It has great potential.

On to the film itself.

First off it just made me smile as the film started with Howard Shore's Shire Theme. It made you feel like you were visiting a good friend after a long absence.

I've seen some complaints about the long drawn out opening, but to me I liked it as it was like easing back in. I honestly felt like I should have hated the obvious Lucasian shoehorning in of a Frodo cameo in the beginning but it really worked well. It helped serve as a great connection between Hobbit and LOTR.

Make no doubts, this is a lighter story. The hijinks with the dwarves at times highlight this and indeed may be too much for some fans...I found myself slightly uncomfortable with it but overall it worked.

What I really liked is the subtle connections between the trilogies. Frodo aside, it was little things like Gandalf hitting his head on the chandelier in Bag End, the one big moment that Gloin has that makes you say well like son like father :P

Appearances by Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman also help keep the weight down a little bit making sure there isn't a complete disconnect.

Like EP, I was NOT thrilled with Azog or Radagast. Azog just seemed superfluous. Radagast seemed to be handled oddly. Too meekly for my tastes and played for laughs despite his being involved with the heaviest portions of the film. Although perhaps I read into his character wrong all these years.

The only other negatives:

- This is a problem with the book as well so I can't fault the film but the dwarves all blend together far too easily.

- The voices of the Trolls and Goblins. Not sure what I expected but not the Disney animation type voices. Maybe it's personal preference and I didn't need really dark and ominous but it just seemed offsetting for me.

The positives:

- Just about everything else. Martin Freeman is perfect. His depiction of Bilbo's journey is moving, and the right combination of naivety and humor, and heroism.

- Gollum. Par for the course, but Andy Serkis rocked it. Riddles In The Dark is easily the highlight of the film.

I'm still curious how we get two more films. But I'm all in at this point. I'm betting film 2 will end with Smaug's defeat and then the third film will build towards The Battle Of The Five Armies.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm

One other issue I had was the number of times Gandalf shouted "Run!" before the scene cut to the dwarves scurrying hither and thither. It's reminiscent of him leading the Company through Moria, away from the Orcs and Balrog. And I think it worked best as they approached Rivendell. But it happened way too many times after (Goblin Town, slopes of the Misty Mountains, etc.). Also, I felt like crossing the Misty Mountains was a bigger deal in FORT than in AUJ.

Still, I find myself loving Bilbo's reluctant journey. The inclusion of the Necromancer is going to be great. And the hints of Smaug were thrilling. Especially the monster-movie element of seeing his feet crunching dwarves inside the Lonely Mountain.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Next

Return to Media