The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: The Hobbit: Reviews, Reactions, and more!

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs[/youtube]
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm excited :D
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Whispers » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:18 am

Legolas! :D
I will find you
Whispers
Witch Admin of Phatooine

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfflhfn1W-o[/youtube]
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I feel like this film is coming up SO quickly. I'm not sure if I just haven't been anticipating as much as I had the other ones...but I literally feel like I just saw the first one in theatres. Great for me though :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I feel the same. I'm thrilled to be getting the new film in a month or so ... but damn ... has a year passed already??? Where the frak did it go?

*looks into an empty brandy bottle*

:goodtimes:

ohhhh yeah .... nevermind ....

:))
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Emperor's Prize wrote:I feel the same. I'm thrilled to be getting the new film in a month or so ... but damn ... has a year passed already??? Where the frak did it go?

*looks into an empty brandy bottle*

:goodtimes:

ohhhh yeah .... nevermind ....

:))

[face_loldie] :ymparty: :ymcowboy:
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Salty » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:00 am

I agree it feels like the first one was just released.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:17 am

I got my tix for the midnight showing this Thursday night with a friend from work. One of the local theaters is doing a double-feature ... Hobbit 1 at 8:30, then Hobbit 2 at midnight. The best part? The seats are recliners ... and assigned! No need to wait in line!

Should be fun!
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Dude that is f-n awesome! Congrats on that!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 am

What a fun ride. This isn't cinema at the same level as the LOTR films, but this is cinema that tells an exciting story with a bit of depth and purpose. Loved Bilbo again ... his story with the ring was a nice touch. I enjoyed Tauriel's character. And Legolas! And even Bard, too. I found I was most riveted by Gandalf's story - especially his trials in Dol Guldur (very impressive).

And then there's Smaug.

Brilliant. I believed that he was a living, breathing, ruthless dragon.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the Lake Town theme from Howard Shore. Reminiscent of Rohan.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Good to hear...Either going this weekend or early next week. Don't compare it to LOTR, compare it to the first Hobbit...how does it stack up?
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Having the benefit of seeing both films at the theater last night, I'd say the new film is roughly on par with Hobbit 1. I can see some saying this is the better film - it certainly has more action and intrigue. I can see some saying it has a bit too much filler (scenes that aren't in the Hobbit book, extended action set pieces) and the sometimes cartoonish action is still there. Once Lake Town hits, there are some noticeable deviations from the book(I tend to think they nearly all work). Oh ... and in many ways, Bilbo-Smaug is as entertaining and riveting as Bilbo-Gollum.

I'd say I like it at least as much as Hobbit 1, and there's a decent chance it really is the better of the two films. And to me, the best I can say is: if all had gone according to original plan, the films would now be done. There wouldn't be another one to look forward to. And I think that would have been a great loss. The good (added depth to Middle Earth lore) far outweighs any bad (actions scenes that should probably end a minute or two earlier) so far. And I can't imagine the story having ended last night and having it be as satisfying as I expect it will be next December. In my mind, the concern that stretching the films would overly dilute them has been dispelled. These are good (not great) fantasy films that not only give us a little something to think about, but are also nicely adding to the machinations before the War of the Ring.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Excellent. Sounds like I will enjoy it then. That's how I generally felt about the first Hobbit. It's a nice entry into the series and sits well alongside the Rings Trilogy but in no way COULD match the epic feel. This doesn't not make it a lesser film. Just a different subsection of film.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Saw it last night and enjoyed it immensely.

The "changes" weren't bad and in some ways were very logical.

The only "negative" I could really say (Beyond the aforementioned cartooinsh action, which doesn't bother me - it is more cartoonish than LOTR but I've accepted it) comes a bit unfortunately due to one of the positives.

I can see your faces now...Heh?

The Hobbit as it's whole is the tale of Bilbo Baggins. There and Back Again. Bilbo's development and the actions are all through Bilbo's at first naive eyes.

When turning The Hobbit into a trilogy, PJ made a brave and to me great decision to include a lot of material from the LOTR appendices, etc. and forge a more solid connection between The Hobbit and LOTR. So it truly is equally about the rise of Sauron and the heightening of Gandalf's awareness, as well as including bits with Legolas and even a funny throwaway line on Gimli.

There are nice cinematic touches as well. Bree, with PJ crunching on a carrot again and the touch of "Strider" (except evil) overlooking someone at the Prancing Pony from the corner.

And of course Howard Shore connects it as nicely as Williams did during the two separate trilogies.

So I love all the additions and the added connections - otherwise it may have felt too detached. BUT at the same time, I think part of the heart of the Hobbit tale is lost as Bilbo is...marginalized at times.

But Smaug. My goodness Smaug. I love Benedict Cumberbatch. His voice works perfectly!

All in all definitely fun and I can't wait for 3. The Battle for Dale/Lake Town and then the Battle of the Five Armies. Should be fun!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:32 pm

soxtalon wrote:I think part of the heart of the Hobbit tale is lost as Bilbo is...marginalized at times.

Quite true. And it's no small change, either. I mean, think back to the first film in Rivendell when Gandalf, Elrond and Thorin were discussing the map, the moon runes, and so on. Bilbo is there with literally nothing to do but stand around and watch and listen. Heck, even Balin serves a purpose (to express reluctance at allowing Elrond to view the map, reinforcing the distrust between Dwarves and Elves).

So yeah, at times Bilbo is completely marginalized. And because this story was originally his - and only his - it can be hard to wrap my head around that sometimes. But I think, ultimately, it not only works, it was necessary for the film series. These really are the stories of The Ring - and how the diminutive Hobbits find themselves key parts of it.

I was reading an article on TORN the other day that actually put some thought into trying to further rationalize the change in perspective. It makes an interesting point: The Red Book that Bilbo writes in, the one Frodo and Sam later amend, was likely further amended by others with more knowledge about the events of Middle Earth (Gandalf's meeting with Thorin in Bee, for example). So while The Hobbit (the book) is Bilbo's telling of his own tale, perhaps The Hobbit (the movies) are the collected telling of the Ring by Bilbo and others.

Link
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:43 pm

That's a very interesting idea and one I hadn't concerned. It bugs me in that something like that has to be worked out too much to be truly intentional...BUT since it does work for me as a plausible reason...it does make sense.

I guess it's a train of thought I go through...and I usually come to the same conclusion but it's a neverending cycle...

It starts with a little irksome (and not something overwhelming) that while the public believes for the most part that this is an adaption of The Hobbit and is being sold as such it really is more of a "The Tales of Middle Earth" which includes the Hobbit as part of it.

I then wonder what it would have been to instead of creating a trilogy, they could have created a "trilogy" of spin-offs, with one or two films being pure The Hobbit adaptions and then another one with "everything else" (Yes, I understand that how everything else being made into a movie would be challenging and perhaps impossible. )

Then I start thinking about how The Two Towers was set up initially as separate stories and how PJ intertwined them and it worked better.

So I begin thinking, I really truly enjoy adding the new material from the appendices to flesh out the journey from the Hobbit to LOTR.

And since it would be nigh impossible to have a separate tale, this was probably the best way to do it....So I overall enjoy it.

But then I start thinking again that a part of me really wanted to see a true adaption of The Hobbit as in a tale from Bilbo's eyes and HIS journey.

I guess what would be best for me is for PJ to have made TWO versions....:P A Tales of Middle Earth Version and then perhaps an alternate take focusing more specifically on Bilbo's tale. I almost think that would be worth exploring!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:51 pm

^Perhaps, instead of releasing An Ultimate Extended Edition Super Box Set, PJ should release a Super-Edited, Hobbit-Book-Only Edition.

Either that, or wait for the inevitable fan edit.

;)

Say ... that gives me an idea ...

:-?
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Hmmm!!! INTERESTING....
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Well, it's almost that time of year again. Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be at the same reserved-seating theater with my friend from work to see ... the whole Hobbit trilogy (starting at 12:30pm and ending around 10ish pm)! Image

I'm really looking forward to seeing all three films one right after the other. It'll be a great way to "end" the movie series.

And, of course, that ought to set up a proper LOTR:EE marathon shortly thereafter. I haven't done that in a long time ... a long time. ;)
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 pm

:D The family and I just watched LOTR: EE - Couldn't do it marathon style as I simply just didn't have the time but we did it over the course of 4 days or so...we are going to watch Hobbit 1 & 2 hopefully this week.

BUT I have to say PJ outdid himself with his choice of who would sing the final song of middle earth. I was shocked to hear it would be Billy Boyd but after like 2 seconds I just thought...Wow...what a perfect choice.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:03 am

Yeah ... for The Last Goodbye ... the choice, the voice, the lyrics ... all just perfect. So profound ... in so, so many ways. It's hard to top Annie Lennox's finale to ROTK, but damn if this isn't close.

I've already pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack from Amazon and it'll arrive on the 15th. Problem is, the soundtrack is available for download (iTunes/Amazon) a week earlier. I'm not sure I can hold out that long! :))
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Agreed. I loved Annie Lennox's finale...and I am just back and forth over which is greater. I do think Annie's is more of an epic finale but Billy's is just a beautiful, profound lovely number.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Emperor's Prize » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:33 am

Annie's might have the better artistic aspect, but Billy's is absolutely fitting for both the movie, and the franchise. It's such a wonderful tribute and farewell.

It's nice to be able to have a debate over two such poignant, profound songs.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 am

Agreed! Hardly a debate! They both are phenomenal and fitting!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

PreviousNext

Return to Media