Star Trek Into Darkness

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Postby Ney » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmf8jMpXIvs[/youtube]

Someone showed this to me today. New teaser!

Quite epic. :) And it has more of a space-like-feel.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 am

That does look pretty awesome.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Salty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am

That's the same one they showed before The Hobbit when I went to see it Saturday.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 am

Salty wrote:That's the same one they showed before The Hobbit when I went to see it Saturday.

Ditto.

While the trailers reveal almost nothing about the story (they are teasers, after all), they've done a magnificent job of conveying an ominous, exciting mood.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Salty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Has there been any mention of Spock prime being in this movie too?
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Ney » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

The more I see these trailers the more I feel like we have no idea what will happen in the film. Good job, editing teams!
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

So I got to see an advanced screening of this last night.

Wow. Never have I enjoyed something so very much while at the same time the nerd in me is screaming "what the fuuuuuuuuckkkkk?" The choices made in this film are about as polarizing to the hard core Trekkie (or Trekker) fan base as you can get.

I'm dying to see what some of you think about it. It's very strange. I think it's both fantastic - and a bunch of bullshit all at the same time. How is something like this possible? Paradox!!! :P
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 am

Wasn't too bad. It's the first movie I've seen in recent years in 3D (the Yreka theater never showed 3D because they didn't have the hardware, and then they shut down for good just last year, yay driving 30 miles to go to the movies) and I have to say -- J.J. Abrams' signature lens-flares don't work well with 3D. That said, the movie was fun. Lots of epic duels, spacecraft fights, a chase with a shuttlecraft that was practically a homage to the Millennium Falcon's usual adventures, explosions, drama, stuff blowing up, and action. It was a pretty good Star Wars movie. It wasn't Trek though. It is kind of a paradox, yeah. A lot of it was predictable, yet it didn't turn out to be... as bad as it could be? Perhaps him being snatched up by Disney to do Star Wars is just the Force setting itself back into balance so someone who properly "gets" Star Trek can do it.

Yet it was a lot of fun.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah, same for me. I personally feel that all the trek canon this movie touches, frankly, was done better the first time around. That and there are absolutely some HUGE leaps of plot logic here - the kind a Plinkett review would thrive on.

And all that said............ it's a pretty great movie I think.
***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 pm

The whole "Is it Star Trek or not?" debate bugs the hell out of me. It's Star Trek - because it says, "Star Trek." Period. Is it the same as TOS? As the OS Films? TNG? DS9? VOY? ENT? Hell no. And thank Abrams for that. If I wanted any of those, I'd crank up my DVDs (or Netflix). What Abrams has done is he's created a fun, exciting film series that has plenty of action and some worthy (if not fully developed) character and thematic elements. Sure, Wrath of Khan did better at the same things Into Darkness did. But that’s like saying The Lord of the Rings was better than The Hobbit.

Ultimately, I think the film would have been better served if John Harrison had been one of Khan's lieutenants, rather than Khan himself. But to me, that's a minor tribble - er, quibble. I thought the film was fantastic. It keeps Star Trek fun while preaching a relevant message (which is what the OS was trying to do, too).

At any rate: My review
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Shaft » Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm

EP, I thought that after the milder "reveals" of Khan and Carol Marcus mid-film, the unexpected reveal at the end would be that Cumberbatch's character wasn't actually Khan. I fully expected the guy McCoy unfroze (but wisely ordered to be maintained in an induced coma) in order to get his cryopod for Kirk was going to turn out to be Khan. It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to imagine him snapping out of his coma and escaping the severely damaged and chaotic Enterprise. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter--the character of Khan is technically still out there in this Star Trek universe should Abrams feel inclined to "revive" him. Just like at the conclusion of the Bond film "Skyfall", the rebooted Trek franchise is seemingly "reset" back to the classic storyline as the credits roll. I would guess that the first real Kirk vs. the Klingons dilemma would form the basis of the next movie--a more classic storyline where the Enterprise is minding its business and exploring, but ends up getting mixed up with the Klingons (and likely a Bird of Prey).
I never underestimate their chances.
Shaft
Scum

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Klingons and the upcoming film, I think they've done a pretty good job of establishing them as a potential threat without being specific about the Klingons themselves. Keeps things open for wherever they decide the story should go. A scenario such as the one you outlined (getting caught up in Klingon-related shenanigans during the 5-year mission) seems quite plausible - and I'd be excited to see it.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Zaranne » Thu May 30, 2013 11:53 pm

What drives me crazy is that everyone thinks this was a reboot of "Wrath of Khan" which couldn't be further from the truth. This is a reboot of "Star Seed", where Khan was originally introduced. The ONLY resemblance to "Wrath" is the ending (i.e. Kirk is dying from radiation poisoning). Oh, and here we get introduced to Caroll Marcus, cuz we NEVER met her in TOS, just in WOK.

I had to explain that to a much younger co-worker friend of mine, because he thought Spock yelling "Khan" was cheesy. Well, yea, maybe it was cheesy, but it was meant to sort of bring in the "I've only see the movies and TNG" crowd in.

Anyway, now I'll get down off my soapbox. For the record, I thought it was FANTASTIC!

Go, JJ, go!
Retired World Champion MILF
Where the heck is that Cabana boy with my Mai Tai and massage?
What about me? When you're old you're crazy not to do it. (Grandpa - Little Miss Sunshine)
Zaranne
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Fri May 31, 2013 1:06 am

I loved Spock's KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! One of the major elements of the movie revolved around him trying to bury and hide from his emotions. That moment was the eruption, the release, the realization that he really, truly could not choose to ignore what he was feeling. In many ways, his outburst is far more meaningful than Kirk's in TWOK - as enjoyable and meme-inspiring as it may be.

FWIW, I'd say that I enjoy TWOK more than Into Darkness - though, I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Zaranne » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 pm

I agree with you EP, it was an emotional release for Spock. And since Spock never went thru Kolinar(sp?), which he did in the original timeline (ooo, another way to use TOS!), it does make more sense.
Retired World Champion MILF
Where the heck is that Cabana boy with my Mai Tai and massage?
What about me? When you're old you're crazy not to do it. (Grandpa - Little Miss Sunshine)
Zaranne
Thief

Postby Scarlet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Very enjoyable - I love how the movie captures the fantastic chemistry between characters, and inserts pockets of humor based on the sense of humor of the characters - I always find that enjoyable. Wheadon does a great job of that, too.

Unfortunately, I saw this gif before I saw the film.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed the film. Had you seen Wrath of Khan before it? If not, do you plan on seeing it sometime soon?
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Finally saw this last night with the missus! LOVED it. I want to say that I was probably the best audience for this film though. I know the original ST a bit. I've watched the films once or twice but do not have the fanatical devotion or knowledge of it the way I do for Star Wars for example.

So basically I got most of the nods and big picture type details but don't have any reverence for it.
That being said, I liked what JJ did. As with the first one, the casting really remains impeccable.

The action is definitely more what you would expect out of Star Wars but works well.

Spock's journey is the most important part of the film and it is handled well. Once again to me JJ does his best to use nostalgia but not rely on it. It's a fine line and he straddles it well. It's a trait that should serve him well when he moves on to Ep VII.
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Previous

Return to Media