Looper

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Looper

Postby Viper » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 am

Who saw this?

On a scale from awesome to TOTALLY BADASS, what did you rate it?

I loved it...felt very terminator-y, with a mix of 12 monkeys and other stuff.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Re: Looper

Postby Emperor's Prize » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 am

Terrible name ... heard good things about it, though. I'll definitely catch it on netflix if I ever get enough free time.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby soxtalon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:02 am

It's definitely in my queue...haven't gotten the chance!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby herumorna » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Watched it after being hit by a lot of hype. Was quite disappointed. I watched Looper, Argo, Cloud Atlas and Skyfall very soon after each other and felt Looper was the weakest of the lot.

The plot made little sense (the temporal lapses were inaccurately potrayed) and I thought the action was weak. Plus Joseph Gordon-Levitt's makeup was disturbing.
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm

I have yet to see any of these films :( Hopefully I will see all of them soon!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby herumorna » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

You should definitely watch Argo first. I really enjoyed it. Had no expectations which probably helped but was hooked throughout the movie.

Back to Looper though, anyone else feel Bruce Willis has just gotten way too old for action? I felt bad for him at times.
Victoria Concordia Crescit
herumorna
Thief

Postby Scarlet » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 pm

I watched this last night, with neutral to low expectations - only really expecting some Joseph Gordon-Levitt eye candy. I was disappointed in the eye candy - the make-up/effects used to make him look more like a young Bruce Willis cancelled out my attraction towards him.

At some point, I found myself completely engrossed in the film - something that hasn't happened to me since The Dark Knight. The kid blew me away. I really enjoyed the Rainmaker aspect of the story, so much that I would love to watch that film too: The two (or multiple) possible versions of the same child.
Scarlet
Thief

Postby Viper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am

Rainmaker plot was great. It added so many layers to the story. I love a movie that you can walk away from and have a good discussion about. This movie fit that bill. Not sure I want a sequel, but it works great as a thought-provoking story.

One of the most interesting observations I made on a repeat viewing was something I didn't catch the first time around. The movie begins with Joe learning french. It never dawned on me that he would have gone to France had it not been his discussion with Abe. And his discussion with Abe came about because Seth's loop. It really gave that aspect of the story incredible depth...aside from showing us what happens when they mutilate a younger version of the older guy, this aspect of the story actually set up the whole Old Joe getting married and going crazy trying to kill the rainmaker plot. He wouldn't have gone to China if it hadn't been for Seth letting his loop go.

Also explains how the FIRST time, Old Joe is killed by young Joe...because the Old Joe in THAT loop was the one who went to France. Then, after the events altered the timeline, Old Joe goes to China and winds up escaping his death in the past.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Return to Media