Queen (YT Video Heavy)

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: Queen (YT Video Heavy)

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:52 am

A Concert For Life - A Tribute To Freddie Mercury

April 20, 1992 - Wembley Stadium

After Freddie passed on in November of 1991 the remaining three members came together and decided relatively quickly that they wanted to have some kind of memorial and to have it in the fashion with which Freddie would have been accustomed to. Wembley Stadium, the site of two iconic moments for the band made the logical sense and tickets were sold out within hours without a single artist having been announced on the bill.

Brian and Roger reached out to friends and colleagues as well as those who had been influenced by Freddie and all volunteered for free to pay homage to this rock god. Some, like Guns N' Roses and Roger Daltrey (from The Who) didn't even wait to be called - they did the calling immediately thereafter offering their services.

Some schedules unfortunately couldn't work out (Aretha Franklin, Montserrat Caballe, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Madonna, among a few).But what was left was a great slice in moment - some truly iconic artists (David Bowie, Elton John, Robert Plant (from Led Zeppelin), combined with new hard rock acts (Guns N Roses, Extreme, Metallica, Def Leppard) and some UK Pop stars (Seal, Paul Young, George Michael) to create a truly diversified set. In reality who else could you think of could have a tribute act that opened with Metallica and closed with Liza Minelli and not seem that either end were out of the realm of the one being given tribute?

There were wonderful moments, there were cringe inducing moments, but all in all the buzz and the feel was one of love and good vibes.

After weeks of rehearsals the time finally came. It was cited that the rock bands would get to open the show before Queen took to the stage with guest vocalists. It would be broadcast around the world on MTV (as well as getting the highlights treatment in the US on Fox and on the BBC in the UK).

It would be seen by millions.

At the start, the three remaining members of the band came to the forefront of the stage and welcomed the crowd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPHvKa6NeLE[/youtube]

Metallica:

01. Enter Sandman
02. Sad But True
03. Nothing Else Matters

- The band chose to open with songs from their new album. Some were surprised they didn't do Stone Cold Crazy as they had recently done but they would understand later on. The band was well received and it was a nice opener.

Brian then came on and offered that the next band was probably the one that best understood what Freddie and Queen had been about all these years...

Extreme:

01. Queen Medley (Mustapha/Bohemian Rhapsody/Keep Yourself Alive/I Want To Break Free/Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race/Another One Bites The Dust/We Will Rock You/Stone Cold Crazy/Vocal Improv/Radio Ga Ga/Bohemian Rhapsody)

02. Love Of My Life/More Than Words
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsFSptgvG2o[/youtube]

- THE set of the night in my opinion. Much like Queen at Live Aid, Extreme took the Wembley crowd and rocked it with a medley of hit after hit and Gary Cherone working the crowd. Not the greatest vocal at times...but a ton of fun. The Love Of My Life/More Than Words bit did take them a bit over schedule freaking out TV execs but it's rock and roll!

Roger came on next to introduce:

Def Leppard:

01. Animal
02. Let's Get Rocked
03. Now I'm Here (w/Brian May)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1p_u3s4W4[/youtube]

- Def Leppard's first real gig after the death of their guitarist and it's quite big. New guitarist Vivian Campbell more than holds his own and the crowd get their first site of a Queen member playing as Brian plays along to the Queen classic. Fun portion of the gig.

Next up was:

Bob Geldoff

01. Too Late God

- Bob, the visionary organizer of Live Aid was good friends with the whole band. He offered up this from his latest effort and claimed that he and Freddie co-wrote the Gaelic number while drunk. BUT Bob has a very dry sense of humor and it is believed that was a joke.

Bob then introduced

Spinal Tap

01. The Majesty of Rock

- Not sure where they fit in to be honest or how they got invited but they are always a hilarious bunch. Funny guys. They spoke to the crowd and I paraphrase:

"We in the band we're great fans of Freddie Mercury...unfortunately he was not as big of fan of us as we were of him. So in honor of him...we're going to cut our set short about 35 songs. We believe Freddie would have wanted it this way."

Next up was U2 via satellite. U2 was on tour during this time during their ZOO TV tour and they appeared via satellite connection.

01. Until The End Of The World

- I have a bootleg of the show and Bono talked about Freddie a lot of the show and dedicated a few songs, like their cover of Dancing Queen. He made mention of sending songs to "Fred Aid".

Afterwards Roger came on to announce Guns 'N' Roses

01. Paradise City
02. Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door

- This was the most controversial band on the bill. After their brush up for homophobic lyrics, the band though was HUGE fans of Queen. And their set was very well received despite threats of protest.

Next up was another satellite link up with Mango Groove from South Africa

01. Special Star

-- Not sure where this came from to be honest!

Elizabeth Taylor then came on and spoke out for AIDS Awareness before the Queen portion of the show:

01. Queen + Joe Elliott/Slash – "Tie Your Mother Down"
02. Queen + Roger Daltrey/Tony Iommi – "Heaven and Hell" (intro), "Pinball Wizard" (intro), "I Want It All"
03. Queen + Zucchero – "Las Palabras de Amor"
04. Queen + Gary Cherone/Tony Iommi – "Hammer to Fall"
05. Queen + James Hetfield/Tony Iommi – "Stone Cold Crazy "
06. Queen + Robert Plant – "Innuendo (including parts of "Kashmir"), "Thank You" (intro), "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
07. Brian May with Spike Edney – "Too Much Love Will Kill You"
08. Queen + Paul Young – "Radio Ga Ga"
09. Queen + Seal – "Who Wants to Live Forever"
10. Queen + Lisa Stansfield – "I Want to Break Free"
11. Queen + David Bowie/Annie Lennox – "Under Pressure"
12. Queen + Ian Hunter/David Bowie/Mick Ronson/Joe Elliot/Phil Collen – "All The Young Dudes"
13. Queen + David Bowie/Mick Ronson – "Heroes"
14. David Bowie – "The Lord's Prayer"
15. Queen + George Michael – "'39"
16. Queen + George Michael/Lisa Stansfield – "These Are the Days of Our Lives"
17. Queen + George Michael – "Somebody to Love"
18. Queen + Elton John/Axl Rose – "Bohemian Rhapsody"
19. Queen + Elton John/Tony Iommi – "The Show Must Go On"
20. Queen + Axl Rose – "We Will Rock You"
21. Queen + Liza Minnelli/Cast – "We Are the Champions"

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQW4thcMDY&list=PL8F6CBF079A58DD31[/YouTube]

The above is the playlist of the officially released gig.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlc9GzWL8c[/youtube]
This is the Full Robert Plant section which was cut.

-- The concert had a great opener in "Tie Your Mother Down" with Brian singing the first verse and then Joe Elliot and Slash coming on midway through. Roger Daltrey ripped through "I Want It All" as if he were in his 20s. Zucchero was passable on "Las Palabras". Gary Cherone gave a great rendition of "Hammer To Fall" really engaging with the band and audience, even getting John Deacon to dance a little! The band lost the tempo a bit during "Stone Cold Crazy" but the audience didn't even notice! Robert Plant's "Innuendo" was forgettable as he had a few too many flubs and lyrical misadventures and he even blocked the release of this part of the gig. His "Crazy" was far more memorable as it brought the house down. Brian's debut of "Too Much Love" was very poignant and emotional. Paul Young, Lisa Stansfield, and Seal were all passable if not very memorable. I did love the arrangement of Seal's "Who Wants To Live Forever" - my personal favorite arrangement. David Bowie was far more memorable performing "Under Pressure" for the first time - he'd go on to perform it in his gigs quite a bit afterwards! Roger and the crowd filled in on a few of the Freddie ad libs that Annie missed. After Annie left it was nice to see David perform with Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter (from Mott The Hoople - who Queen opened for way back when) on "All The Young Dudes" (which David wrote for Mott) and then "Heroes" which Roger's backing vocals made exquisite! George Michael's set is the most remembered. Opening with a quick shortened "'39", he then brought Lisa Stansfield back to debut "These Are The Days Of Our Lives". A nice poignant delivery. George then delivered the most iconic moment from this gig, "Somebody To Love". Just wow. The only way to follow that up? "Bohemian Rhapsody". Sung by Freddie's good friend Elton John with help from Axl it was a chilling moment. There at the end as Elton and Axl dueted there was Freddie at his most glitzy and most dangerous...yet it only took one Freddie. Quick note - Gary Cherone was tabbed to be the back up if Axl had flaked out as he had been known to do. Elton went on to thank Queen for working their asses off before breaking into his personal favorite from Innuendo, "The Show Must Go On". A great version and Elton would go on to perform it on his tour as well as with Queen in 1997 for John Deacon's last show. Axl comes back on for "We Will Rock You" and then Brian introduces, as one who he knew Freddie would be proud to stand in his place, Liza Minelli for "We Are The Champions" with the cast.

The gig ends and it is an emotional and powerful night. All in all the gig has its heart in the right place and it is very successful for what it wants to do.

Some rehearsals and extras:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUQ3Ugi1VQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw6awAuvBYw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYv2W7vD_E[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTm2dmvn70[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qRJ9lrJfM8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZepelG-fw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRstvaFcvYA[/youtube]

Next? The Cross' Christmas gigs!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 pm

The Cross - Fan Club Gigs

In 1992, the Cross decided to reward the fan club by holding two gigs near the holidays and as it was Christmas time they decided to have some guests in as well!

The first night was 12/21/92 in the Marquee Club in London.

The first portion of the show was a typical Cross type show with some older Cross songs and Queen songs thrown in.

01. In Charge Of My Heart
02. Top Of The World Ma
03. Love Lies Bleeding
04. Rock It (Prime Jive) (Intro)
05. Twist And Shout (Beatles cover)
06. Ain't Put Nothin' Down
07. Power To Love
08. Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan cover)
09. New Dark Ages
10. Rock And Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)
11. Heaven For Everyone
12. Man On Fire
13. Stand Up For Love

At this point the first of the guests showed up. In a surprise that no one expected, former member of Smile (pre-Queen band with Roger and Brian) Tim Staffell shows up! He joins the band for

14. Earth (First live rendition since 1970)
15. If I Was A Carpenter (blues cover that Smile used to play)

Tim left and then Roger's second guest showed up - The Who's Roger Daltrey! Daltrey joined the band for four songs:

16. I Can't Explain
17. I'm A Man
18. Born On A Bayou
19. Subsitute

Then Roger D left and Roger T got back on the mic to close the show:

20. Radio Ga Ga
21. Money (Beatles cover)
21. Happy XMas (War Is Over) (John Lennon cover)
22. These Are The Days Of Our Lives

It was a great night that would only be improved upon the next night on 12/22/92 in the same venue.
The first 12 songs were the same but they held off on Stand Up For Love. First guest of the night was again Tim Staffell. BUT this time, Roger also stated he found some curly haired guy to play guitar as well as Brian May walks on to thunderous applause. This marks the first full on (and last) Smile reunion. Smile plays for the first time since 1970.

13. Earth
14. If I Was A Carpenter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH53vUQUklM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibi7w4zbIAc[/youtube]

Tim leaves at this point but Brian stays on.

15. Stand Up For Love
16. Too Much Love Will Kill You
17. Tie Your Mother Down

Brian leaves for a bit and Tim comes back on for:

18. Money
19. Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)

Brian returns for the finale:

20. Radio Ga Ga
21. These Are The Days Of Our Lives

NOTES:

- Not much video has surfaced widely but I do have the two bootlegs. GREAT shows. Some of my favorite bootlegs as I first got into the Queen empire. My only complaint is the Happy X-Mas (War Is Over). Unfortunately I don't have any video to show. Because the backing vocalists by the females here are just plain awful...:P

Next? 1993 Studio...well it was kind of quiet. Brian had a collaboration or two but mostly it was a live year for Brian's Back To The Light World Tour. He literally toured the whole year for the most part. Roger had 2 live appearances and they were both sort of big - The final Cross gig and a very interesting "Queen" gig...the only time Roger and JOHN were billed as Queen due to a bit of a spat with Brian!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:36 pm

1993 Studio!

Well there wasn't a whole lot. I have two collaborations for you before we move on to 1993 live...

Paul Rodgers - I'm Ready

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhObIFbkAQ[/youtube]

I am ready - ready as anybody can be
I am ready for you
I hope you're ready for me

I got an excellent pistol
And a graveyard friend
That shoots two stone bullets
Wearing balls and chains
I'm drinking T.N.T
I'm smoking dynamite
I hope some screwball
Starts a fight

Because I'm ready - ready as anybody can be
I am ready for you

Oh, you pretty little chicks
With your curly hair
I know you feel
Like I ain't nowhere
But stop what you're doing
Baby come over here
I'll prove to you baby
That I ain't no square

I am ready for you

I've been drinking gin
Like never before
I feel so good
I want you to know
One more drink
I wish you would
It takes a whole lot of loving
To make me feel good

I am ready for you
Ooooh, give it me now

I've been drinking gin
Like never before
Feel so good
And I want you to know
One more drink
I wish you would
To make me feel good

Oh, I'm ready for you
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm ready for you

Yeah

- The first studio collaboration between a Queen member and Paul Rodgers. After the Guitar Expo brought Paul Rodgers back into the limelight so to speak, he decided to do a tribute album to blues legend Muddy Waters. Brian, being a big blues fan was happy to oblige with this track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBRgvO1-7k[/youtube]
LIVE in Montreux 1994

NOTES: This was the first "collaboration" (or outside the main band/solo projects) that I bought and I had bought it solely for Brian's contribution.

Steve Hackett - Cassandra

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEIvhdE3YOs[/youtube]

- Cassandra was a track by Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. The track was written and recorded in 1986 but was shelved at the time. THIS version was a bonus track in 1993 off of Steve's Guitar Noir album. This version features Steve on lead vocals. Steve would release an album called Feedback '86 in 2000 which features a lot of the tracks recorded during this same time period and included a different version of the track featuring Queen extended family member, Chris Thompson on vocals.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qblX1unbg[/youtube]
- Feedback 86 Version (released in 2000)

NOTES: Another great Steve Hackett tune. Steve was very underrated and is not known well outside of his Genesis work.

Next? 1993 live and we'll do the Back To The Light tour!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 am

We start 1992 LIVE....Brian May's Back To The Light South American Tour and the Miscellaneous live appearances...

BACK TO THE LIGHT TOUR:

Brian is the first to get out of the box post Freddie's death and it seems that it was just the way he coped.  He made it quite clear at this stage that he wanted to move on from Queen.  He wanted to forge forward and not look back, perhaps another coping mechanism.  It was this that perhaps started a rift of sorts between Brian vs. Roger and John (but we'll get to that later in 1993).  This year though saw Brian kind of dipping his toes into the water so to speak.  It wasn't a huge tour - it was five dates that was really more or less rehearsal for the upcoming US tour.  

What is unique about this show is the lineup of the band.  Some would stay and form the basis of The Brian May Band (and some would even go on to help Queen on occasion, but there was some uniqueness.

Brian May - Lead vocals, guitar

Cozy Powell - Drums/Percussion - Brian discovered a musical soulmate in Cozy he said.  He was as close to Cozy as he was Queen    for awhile and his solo career really revolved partially around Cozy.  He would remain a stalwart until the 1998 tour when     he was unfortunately killed in a car accident - something which many fans speculate was one of the reasons we haven't seen a Brian May solo album since.  Cozy played in Rainbow and Black Sabbath.  He was involved with Rainbow for their "Since You've Been Gone" which Brian has covered numerous times throughout his solo career.

Mike Caswell - guitar - I don't know much about him as he was replaced by the next tour.  Brian replaced him feeling he didn't quite gel with the man - nothing personal reported.

Neil Murray - bass guitar - Neil has played with many bands over the years including Whitesnake and Black Sabbath.  Neil would be a stalwart in the Brian May band and also Spike's All Star Band.  Some were surprised that he wasn't chosen to play bass with Queen + Paul Rodgers. He was a bit hurt by it but the decision was made to hire a bassist who could help with backing vocals.  When Danny Miranda (who ended up with the QPR job went to the hospital for a few gigs, Neil aptly filled in)

Spike Edney -keyboards/backing vocals - You all know him :)

Maggie Ryder/Miriam Stockley - backing vocals - Brian always had a couple of blondes with him for his tours. They would also help on the Made In Heaven album.

Chris Thompson - backing vocals - The former singer of Manfred Mann's Earth Band ("Blinded By The Light") and also co-wrote the song "You're The Voice".  A stalwart of Spike's All Star Band, he would also help Queen on numerous gigs including the Freddie Mercury Tribute and the 46664 concert in 2003.  He couldn't commit to a full tour in 1993 so we were left with just these gigs. 

BACK TO THE LIGHT TOUR 1992 GENERAL SETLIST:

The Dark/Tie Your Mother Down/Driven By You/Back To The Light/Love Token/Love Of My Life/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Now I'm Here/Guitar Solo/Resurrection/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall

SCARCE TRACKS: Since You've Been Gone/Rollin' Over/'39 (Intro)/Let Me Out

11/01/92 - Brian May
New York Disco - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Setlist:

The Dark/Tie Your Mother Down/Driven By You/Back To The Light/Love Token/Let Me Out/Love of My Life/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Since You've Been Gone/Rollin' Over/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/Now I'm Here

11/03/92 - Brian May
Pista Atletica del Estadio Nacional - Santiago De Chile, Chile
Setlist:

The Dark/Tie Your Mother Down/Driven By You/Back To The Light/Love Token/Love of My Life/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Rollin' Over/Guitar Solo/Resurrection/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8h6ARyxRtw[/youtube]

11/05/92 - Brian May
Centenario Stadium - Montevideo, Uruguay
Setlist:

The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall

11/06/92 - Brian May
Estadio Jose Amalfitani de Velez Sarsfield - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Setlist:

The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall

11/09/92 - Brian May
Imperator Club - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Setlist:

The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/Let Me Out/

MISCELLANEOUS

06/13/92 - Brian May
Wembley Stadium - London, UK w/GUNS 'N' ROSES
Setlist (w/Brian):

Tie Your Mother Down/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

- Brian jams with GNR a few months after the Freddie Tribute.

07/30/92 - The Cross - Gosport Festival
Walpole Park - Gosport, UK
Setlist: Top of the World Ma/Love Lies Bleeding/Rock It (Intro)/Twist and Shout/Mr. Tambourine Man/Power To Love/Ain't Put Nothin' Down/New Dark Ages/Rock and Roll/I'm A Man/Summertime Blues/Honky Tonk Woman (w/Bob Geldoff)/Money/Man On Fire/Revolution/Stand Up For Love/I'm In Love With My Car/These Are The Days of Our Lives

The Cross play 1 of 3 dates at the Gosport Festival.  Getting a full set again meant they could play around with the set and they did. It's a great set full of some Cross tracks, some Queen tracks, and some covers.  Roger's good friend Bob Geldoff (he who organized Live Aid) jumped up to help out on Honky Tonk Woman.  It's a great set and the first time we hear Roger singing These Are The Days Of Our Lives. 

At this point Brian starts doing press for Back To The Light and the single of the time, Too Much Love Will Kill You

09/21/92 - Brian May
Muziek Veiling - Holland TV SHOW
Setlist:

Too Much Love Will Kill You

09/27/92 - Brian May
Parco Novi Sad - Modena, Italy
Setlist:

Too Much Love Will Kill You/ La Donna E Mobile (w/Pavoratti/Sting/Dalla - Brian plays triangle)

The very first of the Pavarotti & Friends benefits.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c61XnRbepi4[/youtube]

10/22/92 - Brian May
De Tu A Tu - Antena 3 - Spain TV SHOW
Setlist:

10/28/92 - Brian May
Channel + - France TV SHOW
Setlist:

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour

- This is just a quick improv

11/??/92 - Brian May
Grosvenor House Hotel - London, UK w/PHIL COLLINS/DEC CLUSKEY/JOE BROWN/LONNIE DONNEGAN & BERT WEEDON
Setlist: ?

This is a special gig for the order of Water Rats in the UK - Don't ask. 

11/13/92 - Brian May
Maurizio Constanzo Show - CANALE 5 - ITALY TV SHOW
Setlist:

11/15/92 - Brian May
Domenica In - RAI UNO - ITALY TV SHOW
Setlist:

Guitar Imrpovisation/Too Much Love Will Kill You

11/19/92 - Queen
Walfisch - Vienna, Austria
Setlist:

Money (w/Scorpions)/Twist & Shout (w/Nina Hagen)/Lucille (w/Nina Hagen)/Long Tall Sally (w/Klaus Meine)

This was a special gig celebrating the DoRo Corporation who did a lot of work for Queen on the video side from the mid 80s onwards.  It was mostly jams.

12/03/92 - Brian May
Brazil TV SHOW
Setlist:

12/04/92 - Brian May
Telethon - Milan, Italy
Setlist:

12/05/92 - Brian May
Telethon - Lyon, France
Setlist:

12/19/92 - Brian May
Ein Kessel Buntes - Germany TV SHOW
Setlist:

12/23/92 - Brian May
Wembley Arena - London, UK w/EXTREME & NEIL SCHON
Setlist:

Guitar Improvisation/I Want To Break Free/Tie Your Mother Down

- Brian joins my other favorite band Extreme and Journey's Neil Schon for an all star rock jam!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wMEPAoyOA[/youtube]

Next up? A Concert For Life: A Tribute to Freddie Mercury
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:41 am

A Concert For Life - A Tribute To Freddie Mercury

April 20, 1992 - Wembley Stadium

After Freddie passed on in November of 1991 the remaining three members came together and decided relatively quickly that they wanted to have some kind of memorial and to have it in the fashion with which Freddie would have been accustomed to.  Wembley Stadium, the site of two iconic moments for the band made the logical sense and tickets were sold out within hours without a single artist having been announced on the bill.

Brian and Roger reached out to friends and colleagues as well as those who had been influenced by Freddie and all volunteered for free to pay homage to this rock god.  Some, like Guns N' Roses and Roger Daltrey (from The Who) didn't even wait to be called - they did the calling immediately thereafter offering their services.

Some schedules unfortunately couldn't work out (Aretha Franklin, Montserrat Caballe, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Madonna, among a few).  But what was left was a great slice in moment - some truly iconic artists (David Bowie, Elton John, Robert Plant (from Led Zeppelin), combined with new hard rock acts (Guns N Roses, Extreme, Metallica, Def Leppard) and some UK Pop stars (Seal, Paul Young, George Michael) to create a truly diversified set.  In reality who else could you think of could have a tribute act that opened with Metallica and closed with Liza Minelli and not seem that either end were out of the realm of the one being given tribute?

There were wonderful moments, there were cringe inducing moments, but all in all the buzz and the feel was one of love and good vibes.

After weeks of rehearsals the time finally came.  It was cited that the rock bands would get to open the show before Queen took to the stage with guest vocalists.  It would be broadcast around the world on MTV (as well as getting the highlights treatment in the US on Fox and on the BBC in the UK).   It would be seen by millions. 

At the start, the three remaining members of the band came to the forefront of the stage and welcomed the crowd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPHvKa6NeLE[/youtube]

Metallica:

01. Enter Sandman
02. Sad But True
03. Nothing Else Matters

- The band chose to open with songs from their new album. Some were surprised they didn't do Stone Cold Crazy as they had recently done but they would understand later on. The band was well received and it was a nice opener.

Brian then came on and offered that the next band was probably the one that best understood what Freddie and Queen had been about all these years...

Extreme:

01. Queen Medley (Mustapha/Bohemian Rhapsody/Keep Yourself Alive/I Want To Break Free/Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race/Another One Bites The Dust/We Will Rock You/Stone Cold Crazy/Vocal Improv/Radio Ga Ga/Bohemian Rhapsody)
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjx7QhlleXk[/YouTube]

02. Love Of My Life/More Than Words
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSlQL7l--Ko[/YouTube]

- THE set of the night in my opinion. Much like Queen at Live Aid, Extreme took the Wembley crowd and rocked it with a medley of hit after hit and Gary Cherone working the crowd. Not the greatest vocal at times...but a ton of fun. The Love Of My Life/More Than Words bit did take them a bit over schedule freaking out TV execs but it's rock and roll!

Roger came on next to introduce:

Def Leppard:

01. Animal
02. Let's Get Rocked
03. Now I'm Here (w/Brian May)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1p_u3s4W4[/youtube]

- Def Leppard's first real gig after the death of their guitarist and it's quite big. New guitarist Vivian Campbell more than holds his own and the crowd get their first site of a Queen member playing as Brian plays along to the Queen classic. Fun portion of the gig.

Next up was:

Bob Geldoff

01. Too Late God

- Bob, the visionary organizer of Live Aid was good friends with the whole band. He offered up this from his latest effort and claimed that he and Freddie co-wrote the Gaelic number while drunk. BUT Bob has a very dry sense of humor and it is believed that was a joke.

Bob then introduced

Spinal Tap

01. The Majesty of Rock

- Not sure where they fit in to be honest or how they got invited but they are always a hilarious bunch. Funny guys. They spoke to the crowd and I paraphrase:

"We in the band we're great fans of Freddie Mercury...unfortunately he was not as big of fan of us as we were of him. So in honor of him...we're going to cut our set short about 35 songs. We believe Freddie would have wanted it this way."

Next up was U2 via satellite. U2 was on tour during this time during their ZOO TV tour and they appeared via satellite connection.

01. Until The End Of The World

- I have a bootleg of the show and Bono talked about Freddie a lot of the show and dedicated a few songs, like their cover of Dancing Queen. He made mention of sending songs to "Fred Aid".

Afterwards Roger came on to announce Guns 'N' Roses

01. Paradise City
02. Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door

- This was the most controversial band on the bill. After their brush up for homophobic lyrics, the band though was HUGE fans of Queen. And their set was very well received despite threats of protest.

Next up was another satellite link up with Mango Groove from South Africa

01. Special Star

-- Not sure where this came from to be honest!

Elizabeth Taylor then came on and spoke out for AIDS Awareness before the Queen portion of the show:

01. Queen + Joe Elliott/Slash – "Tie Your Mother Down"
02. Queen + Roger Daltrey/Tony Iommi – "Heaven and Hell" (intro), "Pinball Wizard" (intro), "I Want It All"
03. Queen + Zucchero – "Las Palabras de Amor"
04. Queen + Gary Cherone/Tony Iommi – "Hammer to Fall"
05. Queen + James Hetfield/Tony Iommi – "Stone Cold Crazy "
06. Queen + Robert Plant – "Innuendo (including parts of "Kashmir"), "Thank You" (intro), "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
07. Brian May with Spike Edney – "Too Much Love Will Kill You"
08. Queen + Paul Young – "Radio Ga Ga"
09. Queen + Seal – "Who Wants to Live Forever"
10. Queen + Lisa Stansfield – "I Want to Break Free"
11. Queen + David Bowie/Annie Lennox – "Under Pressure"
12. Queen + Ian Hunter/David Bowie/Mick Ronson/Joe Elliot/Phil Collen – "All The Young Dudes"
13. Queen + David Bowie/Mick Ronson – "Heroes"
14. David Bowie – "The Lord's Prayer"
15. Queen + George Michael – "'39"
16. Queen + George Michael/Lisa Stansfield – "These Are the Days of Our Lives"
17. Queen + George Michael – "Somebody to Love"
18. Queen + Elton John/Axl Rose – "Bohemian Rhapsody"
19. Queen + Elton John/Tony Iommi – "The Show Must Go On"
20. Queen + Axl Rose – "We Will Rock You"
21. Queen + Liza Minnelli/Cast – "We Are the Champions"

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMsGdhbb6w[/YouTube]

The above is part 1. Follow to YT for the rest...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlc9GzWL8c[/youtube]
This is the Full Robert Plant section which was cut.

-- The concert had a great opener in "Tie Your Mother Down" with Brian singing the first verse and then Joe Elliot and Slash coming on midway through. Roger Daltrey ripped through "I Want It All" as if he were in his 20s. Zucchero was passable on "Las Palabras". Gary Cherone gave a great rendition of "Hammer To Fall" really engaging with the band and audience, even getting John Deacon to dance a little! The band lost the tempo a bit during "Stone Cold Crazy" but the audience didn't even notice! Robert Plant's "Innuendo" was forgettable as he had a few too many flubs and lyrical misadventures and he even blocked the release of this part of the gig. His "Crazy" was far more memorable as it brought the house down. Brian's debut of "Too Much Love" was very poignant and emotional. Paul Young, Lisa Stansfield, and Seal were all passable if not very memorable. I did love the arrangement of Seal's "Who Wants To Live Forever" - my personal favorite arrangement. David Bowie was far more memorable performing "Under Pressure" for the first time - he'd go on to perform it in his gigs quite a bit afterwards! Roger and the crowd filled in on a few of the Freddie ad libs that Annie missed. After Annie left it was nice to see David perform with Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter (from Mott The Hoople - who Queen opened for way back when) on "All The Young Dudes" (which David wrote for Mott) and then "Heroes" which Roger's backing vocals made exquisite! George Michael's set is the most remembered. Opening with a quick shortened "'39", he then brought Lisa Stansfield back to debut "These Are The Days Of Our Lives". A nice poignant delivery. George then delivered the most iconic moment from this gig, "Somebody To Love". Just wow. The only way to follow that up? "Bohemian Rhapsody". Sung by Freddie's good friend Elton John with help from Axl it was a chilling moment. There at the end as Elton and Axl dueted there was Freddie at his most glitzy and most dangerous...yet it only took one Freddie. Quick note - Gary Cherone was tabbed to be the back up if Axl had flaked out as he had been known to do. Elton went on to thank Queen for working their asses off before breaking into his personal favorite from Innuendo, "The Show Must Go On". A great version and Elton would go on to perform it on his tour as well as with Queen in 1997 for John Deacon's last show. Axl comes back on for "We Will Rock You" and then Brian introduces, as one who he knew Freddie would be proud to stand in his place, Liza Minelli for "We Are The Champions" with the cast.

The gig ends and it is an emotional and powerful night. All in all the gig has its heart in the right place and it is very successful for what it wants to do.

Some rehearsals and extras:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUQ3Ugi1VQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw6awAuvBYw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYv2W7vD_E[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTm2dmvn70[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qRJ9lrJfM8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZepelG-fw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRstvaFcvYA[/youtube]

Next? The Cross' Christmas gigs!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 pm

The Cross - Fan Club Gigs

In 1992, the Cross decided to reward the fan club by holding two gigs near the holidays and as it was Christmas time they decided to have some guests in as well!

The first night was 12/21/92 in the Marquee Club in London.

The first portion of the show was a typical Cross type show with some older Cross songs and Queen songs thrown in.

01. In Charge Of My Heart
02. Top Of The World Ma
03. Love Lies Bleeding
04. Rock It (Prime Jive) (Intro)
05. Twist And Shout (Beatles cover)
06. Ain't Put Nothin' Down
07. Power To Love
08. Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan cover)
09. New Dark Ages
10. Rock And Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)
11. Heaven For Everyone
12. Man On Fire
13. Stand Up For Love

At this point the first of the guests showed up. In a surprise that no one expected, former member of Smile (pre-Queen band with Roger and Brian) Tim Staffell shows up! He joins the band for

14. Earth (First live rendition since 1970)
15. If I Was A Carpenter (blues cover that Smile used to play)

Tim left and then Roger's second guest showed up - The Who's Roger Daltrey! Daltrey joined the band for four songs:

16. I Can't Explain
17. I'm A Man
18. Born On A Bayou
19. Subsitute

Then Roger D left and Roger T got back on the mic to close the show:

20. Radio Ga Ga
21. Money (Beatles cover)
21. Happy XMas (War Is Over) (John Lennon cover)
22. These Are The Days Of Our Lives

It was a great night that would only be improved upon the next night on 12/22/92 in the same venue.
The first 12 songs were the same but they held off on Stand Up For Love. First guest of the night was again Tim Staffell. BUT this time, Roger also stated he found some curly haired guy to play guitar as well as Brian May walks on to thunderous applause. This marks the first full on (and last) Smile reunion. Smile plays for the first time since 1970.

13. Earth
14. If I Was A Carpenter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH53vUQUklM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibi7w4zbIAc[/youtube]

Tim leaves at this point but Brian stays on.

15. Stand Up For Love
16. Too Much Love Will Kill You
17. Tie Your Mother Down

Brian leaves for a bit and Tim comes back on for:

18. Money
19. Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)

Brian returns for the finale:

20. Radio Ga Ga
21. These Are The Days Of Our Lives

NOTES:

- Not much video has surfaced widely but I do have the two bootlegs. GREAT shows. Some of my favorite bootlegs as I first got into the Queen empire. My only complaint is the Happy X-Mas (War Is Over). Unfortunately I don't have any video to show. Because the backing vocalists by the females here are just plain awful...:P

Next? 1993 Studio...well it was kind of quiet. Brian had a collaboration or two but mostly it was a live year for Brian's Back To The Light World Tour. He literally toured the whole year for the most part. Roger had 2 live appearances and they were both sort of big - The final Cross gig and a very interesting "Queen" gig...the only time Roger and JOHN were billed as Queen due to a bit of a spat with Brian!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 am

1993 Studio!

Well there wasn't a whole lot. I have two collaborations for you before we move on to 1993 live...

Paul Rodgers - I'm Ready

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhObIFbkAQ[/youtube]

I am ready for you

I got an excellent pistol
And a graveyard friend
That shoots two stone bullets
Wearing balls and chains
I'm drinking T.N.T
I'm smoking dynamite
I hope some screwball
Starts a fight

I am ready for you

Oh, you pretty little chicks
With your curly hair
I know you feel
Like I ain't nowhere
But stop what you're doing
Baby come over here
I'll prove to you baby
That I ain't no square

I am ready for you

I've been drinking gin
Like never before
I feel so good
I want you to know
One more drink
I wish you would
To make me feel good

I am ready for you
Ooooh, give it me now

I've been drinking gin
Like never before
Feel so good
And I want you to know
One more drink
I wish you would
To make me feel good

Oh, I'm ready for you
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm ready for you

Yeah

- The first studio collaboration between a Queen member and Paul Rodgers. After the Guitar Expo brought Paul Rodgers back into the limelight so to speak, he decided to do a tribute album to blues legend Muddy Waters. Brian, being a big blues fan was happy to oblige with this track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBRgvO1-7k[/youtube]
LIVE in Montreux 1994

NOTES: This was the first "collaboration" (or outside the main band/solo projects) that I bought and I had bought it solely for Brian's contribution.

Steve Hackett - Cassandra

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEIvhdE3YOs[/youtube]

- Cassandra was a track by Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. The track was written and recorded in 1986 but was shelved at the time. THIS version was a bonus track in 1993 off of Steve's Guitar Noir album. This version features Steve on lead vocals. Steve would release an album called Feedback '86 in 2000 which features a lot of the tracks recorded during this same time period and included a different version of the track featuring Queen extended family member, Chris Thompson on vocals.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qblX1unbg[/youtube]
- Feedback 86 Version (released in 2000)

NOTES: Another great Steve Hackett tune. Steve was very underrated and is not known well outside of his Genesis work.

Next? 1993 live and we'll do the Back To The Light tour!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:01 pm

1993 Live - Brian May -  Back To The Light Tour 1993

This was undoubtedly the longest tour any Queen member undertook and there were a few different legs.  Brian also opened up a few gigs for Guns N Roses at the time so obviously it was a shorter show during that period.

BRIAN MAY BACK TO THE LIGHT TOUR 1993 (Part I) GENERAL SETLIST: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39 (Intro)/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody (reprise)/Resurrection (reprise)/Band Introduction/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/Let Me Out

BRIAN MAY BACK TO THE LIGHT 1993 (Part 2) TOUR GENERAL SETLIST: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My LIfe/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Solo/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You
SCARCE TRACKS: Hammer To Fall

BACK TO THE LIGHT 1993 TOUR (3) GENERAL SETLIST: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39 (Intro)/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall
SCARCE TRACKS: Teo Toriatte/Let Me Out/'39 (full)/I Wanna Hold your Hand/Big Spender/Mustapha (Intro)/Las Palabras De Amor/We Are The Champions/Merry Christmas/Business/Is This The World We Created (in Guitar Solo)/Keep Yourself Alive (in Guitar Solo)/Chinese Torture (in Guitar Solo)/Tavazi Szei Vizet (in Guitar Solo)

02/23/93 - Brian May
Frank Erwin Center - Austin, TX, USA

02/25/93 - Brian May
Jefferson Civic Centre Coliseum - Birmingham, AL, USA

02/28/93 - Brian May
Roxy Theatre - Atlanta, GA, USA
Setlist: Back To The Light (CUT)/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39 Intro/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/Last Horizon (CUT)/Hammer To Fall (CUT)/Let Me Out

03/02/93 - Brian May
The Agora Theatre - Cleveland, OH, USA

03/05/93 - Brian May
Hammerjacks - Baltimore, MD, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39 Intro/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/Let Me Out

03/06/93 - Brian May - NA
New Haven Coliseum - New Haven, CT, USA

03/09/93 - Brian May - NA
Civic Centre - Hartford, CT, USA

03/12/93 - Brian May
Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, Canada
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/'39 Intro/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

03/14/93 - Brian May
Beacon Theatre - New York, New York, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Love of My Life/'39 Intro/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/Let Me Out/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnAgl8IxaAs&list=PL181D56E188B7C049[/YouTube]

03/16/93 - Brian May - NA
Augusta Civic Centre - Augusta, ME, USA

03/17/93 - Brian May
Boston Garden - Boston, MA, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Hammer To Fall/Love Token/'39 Intro/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Tie Your Mother Down (w/Extreme members - Gary Cherone & Nuno Bettencourt)

NOTES - Special gig as Boston is where Extreme is from and the duo decided to join up for TYMD, making it move to the encore!

03/20/93 - Brian May
Carver Hawkeye Sports Arena - Iowa City, Iowa

03/21/93 - Brian May
Fargodome - Fargo, ND, USA

03/24/93 - Brian May
Winnipeg Arena - Winnipeg, Canada

03/26/93 - Brian May
Saskatchewan Place - Saskatoon, Canada

03/28/93 - Brian May
Northlands Coliseum - Edmonton, Canada

03/30/93 - Brian May
BC Place Stadium - Vancouver, Canada

04/01/93 - Brian May
Portland Coliseum - Portland, OR, USA

04/03/93 - Brian May
Arco Arena - Sacramento, CA, USA

04/06/93 - Brian May
Palace Theatre - Los Angeles, CA, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love of My Life/'39 Intro/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection Reprise/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/We Will ROck You (slow/fast)

05/22/93 - Brian May
Hayarkon Park - Tel Aviv, Israel

05/24/93 - Brian May
Olympic Stadium - Athens, Greece

05/26/93 - Brian May
Inonu Stadium - Istanbul, Turkey

05/29/96 - Brian May
Nurburgring (Rock Am Ring) - Cologne, Germany

05/30/93 - Brian May
Sportpark Garbsen - Hanover, Germany

05/31/93 - Brian May
Franken Stadion - Nurmberg, Germany

06/02/93 - Brian May
Le Grand Rex Theatre - Paris, France
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here Intro/Since You've Been Gone/Last Horizon/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Drum Solo/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Let Me Out/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Hammer To Fall

06/04/93 - Brian May
Playhouse Theatre - Edinburgh, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Last Horizon/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Let Me Out

06/05/93 - Brian May
Whitley Bay Ice Rink - Whitley Bay, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Last Horizon/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Let Me Out/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Hammer To Fall

06/06/93 - Brian May
Glasgow Barrowlands - Glasgow, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Hammer To Fall

06/08/93 - Brian May
Apollo Theatre - Manchester, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast) (CUT)/God (The Dream Is Over) (CUT)/

06/09/93 - Brian May
City Hall - Sheffield, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall (CUT)

06/11/93 - Brian May
Cardiff Ice Rink - Cardiff, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

06/12/93 - Brian May
NEC - Birmingham, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over) (CUT)

06/15/93 - Brian May
Brixton Academy - London, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

NOTE - This was officially released in 1994 - See 1994 for more details.

06/16/93 - Brian May
Hammersmith Apollo - London, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Accoustic Improv (including Is This The World We Created/Love of My Life)/Business/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

06/19/93 - Brian May
Windsor Hall - Bourneouth, UK

06/21/93 - Brian May
Ahoy Hall - Rotterdam, Holland

06/22/93 - Brian May
Wildparstadion - Karlsruhe, Germany
Setlist: The Dark/Mustapha (Intro)/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/

06/25/93 - Brian May
Waldstadiou - Frankfurt, Germany
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/

06/26/93 - Brian May
Olympiastadion - Munich, Germany

06/27/93 - Brian May
Kisstadion - Budapest, Hungary
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Tavaszi Szel Vizet Araszt/Is This The World We Created/Guitar Extravagance ContinuedResurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

06/29/93 - Brian May
Stadio Bradioa - Modena, Italy
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/

06/30/93 - Brian May
Stadio Bradioa - Modean, Italy
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Hammer To Fall

07/05/93 - Brian May
Estadi Olimpic - Barcelona, Spain
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

07/06/93 - Brian May
Estadio Vincente Calderon - Madrid, Spain
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Hammer To Fall

07/08/93 - Brian May
Zenith De Nancy - Nancy, France

07/09/93 - Brian May
La Halle Tony Garnier - Lyon, France
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

07/11/93 - Brian May
Festivalground - Werchter, Belgium

07/13/93 - Brian May
Palais Omnisports de Bercy - Paris, France w/ GUNS 'N' ROSES
Setlist: Knockin On Heaven's Door

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKHA9nDvVvA[/youtube]

NOTE - last night of the tour for GNR/Brian so Brian joined GNR for the classic Dylan track!

07/13/93 - Brian May
Palais Omnisports de Bercy - Paris, France
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)

09/12/93 - Brian May
Steinberggasse - Winterthru, Switzerland
Setlist: Soundcheck/The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token (CUT)/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

10/04/93 - Brian May
Metropolis - Montreal, Canada
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You

10/05/93 - Brian May
Danforth Music Hall - Toronto, Canada
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token /Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

10/07/93 - Brian May
Palace Theater - New Haven, CT USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RMrTTQlLvs[/youtube]

10/08/93 - Brian May
The Strand - Providence, RI

10/10/93 - Brian May
The Vic Theater - Chicago, IL, USA
Setlist:: ?

10/12/93 - Brian May
Royal Oak Theater - Detroit, MI, USA

10/13/93 - Brian May
Modjeska Theater - Milwaukee, WI, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

10/14/93 - Brian May
The World Theater - St. Paul, MN, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Let Me Out/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

10/17/93 - Brian May
The Majestic Theater - Dallas, TX, USA
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Let Me Out

10/18/93 - Brian May
Rockefeller's West - Houston, TX, USA

11/04/93 - Brian May
Kosei Nenkin Hall - Tokyo, Japan

11/05/93 - Brian May
Kosei Nenkin Hall - Tokyo, Japan
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Torriatte/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

11/07/93 - Brian May
Yubin Chokin Hall - Hiroshima, Japan
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Torriatte/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/

11/08/93 – Brian May
Kosei Nenkin Hall – Osaka, Japan
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Toriatte/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/ Hammer To Fall

11/10/93 - Brian May
Denayoku Hall - Sendai, Japan
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Toriatte//We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

11/11/93 - Brian May
Kyoiku Bunka Kaikan - Kawasaki, Japan
Setlist: The Dark//Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Toriatte/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Last Horizon/Hammer To Fall

11/13/93 - Brian May
NHK Hall - Tokyo, Japan
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Driven By You/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Teo Toriatte/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Let Me Out/Hammer To Fall

11/20/93 - Brian May
Terminal 1 - Munich, Germany

11/21/93 - Brian May
Jahrhunderthalle - Frankfurt, Germany

11/23/93 - Brian May
Congress Centrum - Hamburg, Germany
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/

11/24/93 - Brian May
Eissporthalle - Halle, Germany
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/ Big Spender/Hammer To Fall

11/27/93 - Brian May
Huxley's Neue Welt - Berlin, Germany
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Is This The World We Created/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

11/29/93 - Brian May
Elysee Montmartre - Paris, France
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/God (The Dream Is Over)/Hammer To Fall

12/03/93 - Brian May
Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/04/93 - Brian May
Concert Hall - Nottingham, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Is This The World We Created/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/05/93 - Brian May
Aston Villa Centre - Birmingham, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/07/93 - Brian May
Ulster Hall - Belfast, UK

12/08/93 - Brian May
The Point Theatre - Dublin, Ireland
Setlist: Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/

12/10/93 - Brian May
Royal Court Theatre - Liverpool, UK
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon (CUT)/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/I Wanna Holdl Your Hand/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/11/93 - Brian May
Plymouth Pavilion - Plymouth, UK

12/14/93 - Brian May
Zeleste - Barcelona, Spain
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Las Palabras De Amor/Love of My Life/'39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head/Too Much Love Will Kill You/Keyboard Solo/Since You've Been Gone/Now I'm Here/Guitar Extravagance/Resurrection/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/15/93 - Brian May
Aqualung - Madrid, Spain
Setlist: The Dark/Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down/Love Token/ Headlong/Mustapha (Intro)/Las Palabras De Amor/Love of My Life (CUT)/Now I'm Here (CUT)/Resurrection (CUT)/Bohemian Rhapsody/Resurrection/Last Horizon/We Will Rock You (slow/fast)/Teo Toriatte/Hammer To Fall

12/17/93 - Brian May
Cascais Pavilion - Lisbon, Portugal

12/18/93 - Brian May
Boavista - Oporto, Portugal

NEXT? 1993 Miscellanous Live performances!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 am

1993 LIVE MISCELLANEOUS

04/05/93 - Brian May
Burbank, CA - JAY LENO TV SHOW
Setlist: Back To The Light/Tie Your Mother Down (w/Slash)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrBHQMHf04o[/youtube]

07/29/93 - The Cross
Walpole Park - Gosport UK - Gosport Festival
Setlist: In Charge of My Heart/Love Lies Bleeding/Ain't Put Nothin' Down/A Kind of Magic/Power To Love/Better Things/Hand of Fools/Life Changes/Penetration Guru/Cowboys and Indians/All The Young Dudes/New Dark Ages/Sister Blue/Radio Ga Ga/We Will Rock You/Top of the World Ma/Kansas City/These Are The Days of Our Lives/Final Destination

NOTES: The FINAL Cross concert (with Roger at the helm - there were a few "Cross" reunions without Roger at SAS Gigs) until this December when the full band reunites for a 45 minute set! Some great tracks that weren't performed much and some great covers. A great final gig for the band. It was an interview though for this gig where it was seen that Brian and Roger were simply not getting along at the time:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz-R6XHG5ic[/youtube]

I know Roger and John were wanting to work on the final Freddie tracks and Brian was really dragging his feet. It is here that Roger threatened to go on with Queen with just himself and John! Thankfully that didn't last very long. BUT long enough for....

09/18/93 - Queen (Roger and John)
Cowdray Park - Midhurst, West Sussex, UK
Setlist:

Queen - A Kind of Magic/I Want To Break Free/We Will Rock You/Another One Bites The Dust (w/Paul Young)/These Are The Days of Our Lives/Radio Ga Ga ----
Roger on Drums for Genesis: Turn It On Again/Hold On My Heart/I Can't Dance/Tonight/Invisible Touch
Roger on Drums for Eric Clapton: Stone Free/Old Love
Roger on Drums for All Star Finale: Gimme Some Lovin'/Ain't That Peculiar/Can I Get A Witness

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OiIccOnfo[/youtube]

NOTE: Interesting if nothing else.

Lineup:
John Deacon - Bass
Roger Taylor - Drums, Vocals, Guitar
Joshua Macrae - Drums (he of the Cross)
Jason Falloon - Guitar (you will meet this gentleman soon as he becomes a mainstay in Roger's solo tours/albums)
Adrian Milne - Keyboards (One of the few "Queen" events since 1984 without Spike Edney)
Paul Young - Vocals on Another One Bites The Dust

09/25/93 - Brian May - BRIAN ON PARIS TV SHOW-- OWNED -- 2/3
Taratata - Paris, France
Setlist: Driven By You/We Will Rock You (slow/fast w/Pow Wow Wow)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwI-aAPOGko[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cug458rh_dk[/youtube]

That's it! NEXT! We move on to 1994's studios and Roger returns after breaking up The Cross with one of his best albums (at least one of my favorites!), Happiness?
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Roger Taylor - Happiness? (1994)

A little background

After the Cross' unsuccessful run and while Brian was off on tour, Roger as always had the itch to record again. So he decided to go back on his own and came up with one of his best albums to date. It was a strange time for Roger, trying to piece together Freddie's death, his rift with Brian, and he was left with an album that was very personal and very introspective. Once known as the Queen rocker, this album was much more quiet with only a few rocking moments.

He retained the services of Joshua J. Macrae from the Cross, using him to help produce the album. He played most of the instruments himself, though he did have guitarist Jason Falloon on board to play lead guitar. At one point he was working on a separate album, a whole second album with Japanese rocker Yoshiki from the band X and the two collaborated on two songs. Scheduling kept this from being a reality though and Roger ended up releasing it himself. Roger performed in Japan with Yoshiki on a few occasions as well.

It was released in the UK and hit #22 on the charts. It was not released in the US.

Tracks on the album

1. Nazis 1994 (Taylor)
2. Happiness (Taylor)
3. Revelations (Taylor)
4. Touch The Sky (Taylor)
5. Foreign Sand (Taylor/Yoshiki)
6. Freedom Train (Taylor)
7. 'you had to be there' (Taylor)
8. The Key (Taylor)
9. Everybody Hurts Sometimes (Taylor)
10. Lonliness... (Taylor)
11. Dear Mr. Murdoch (Taylor)
12. Old Friends (Taylor)

B-Sides

1. Final Destination (Taylor)

NOTES: The Japanese version of the CD dropped Mr. Murdoch and added Final Destination.

First up? Nazis 1994
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 am

Nazis 1994

Written by: Roger Taylor

Musicians:

Roger Taylor - lead and backing vocals, drums, bass guitar, guitar, keyboards
Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XH9TFqKvG4[/youtube]
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
They say now it never happened
They say now it never happened (ahhhhh)

We gotta stop these stinking Nazis, yeah

And they say that it didn't happen
What the Nazis did to the Jews, yeah
If they think they've a second coming
Then we got different news, yeah

We gotta stop these stinking Nazis

They say now it didn't happen
They say now it didn't happen (ahhhhh)

What the world needs is more Nazis
Like it needs a hole in the head, yeah
Your future is not safe at all
Till this disease is dead

They say now it never happened (ahhhhh)

- Issued as a single backed with several mixes across various formats in May 1994 in the UK (where it hit #22).
- Played throughout Happiness? Tour.
- This version was censored as the record company blanched at a leadoff single talking about kickin' fuckin' nazis.
- This was a controversial release due to the subject matter and was banned from some radios stations just for being about nazis...even though it was quite obviously against them!

QUOTES:

“You want to talk about Nazis’, eh? I believe that it is a real problem…one of the main dangers that exists in today’s society and particulary in Europe, of all places. I wanted to write something simple and direct which gives the main idea, one which repeats throughout the whole song. In my opinion the repetition fixes firmly the idea in people’s heads. This sentence that continually comes back is, ‘They say that it never happened.’ To think that of the Holocaust is purely and simply outrageous. How can they be stupid enough to think that? The general atmosphere of ‘Nazis’ is cold and without feeling. That’s at least what I wanted to create. The only emotions that we can set against these people are the strongest emotions. That’s all there is which can stand against them.” – Roger Taylor

"For me, it is not political. It is a case of fundamental right and wrong. Peddling hatred through ignorance is wrong. The record is fairly outspoken, but it doesn’t make any political statements in my view. I find it odd that it is a successful record but the media seem shy of it.” – Roger Taylor

ALTERNATE MIXES:

BANNED VERSION
NO YT VID
- Not essential - it's just the original version that replaces stop those stinkin' nazis with kick those fuckin' nazis.

RADIO MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmND17So-gM[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL
- Much harsher version adds some synths and some more guitar. A better version.

MAKITA MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOaZt1R2xk[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL
- More industrial sounding and rocking.

BIG SCIENCE MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ufQyxYBEw[/youtube]
- NOT ESSENTIAL
- Very different. Slower and more deliberate with extra synths, strings, and samples.

KICK MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnkXdJLYNlg[/youtube]
- NOT ESSENTIAL
- A dance mix. Not sure it's appropriate to have a dance mix of this song but if you we're dying to hear it...here it is.

SCHINDLER'S MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmAbZ-0KBL8[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL
- Closer to the Makita Mix, this was an extremely controversial mix as it contains actual clips from a Hitler speech. To me it was the most rocking mix and most poignant.

LIVE - LONDON 1994
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3aDqcBZ-w[/youtube]
- Takes some bits from the radio and from other mixes. Then Roger just hammers these big tympani type drums.

NOTES:
Not what I'd call a typical lead off single - or even a single at all...surprising choice. But it is an important cause and a nice song for that. It is a bit repetitive for me but still overall a nice way to kick off the album. Next? The title track - Happiness
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Happiness?

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars
Mike Crossley - keyboards

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxiK_Leps3w[/youtube]
There's just one thing that we all crave
From the cradle to the grave
A state of grace or state of mind
A point in space or point in time

In time of peace
In times of war
The self same goal
That we yearn for
Some have it all
But still have less
What we all need is happiness

Happiness is what you need (ahhh)
Yeah, happiness is all around (ahhh)
It's not easy to define it
It can't easily be found
No, no, no, no, can't easily be found (ahhh)
It can't easily be found
You know that it's true

'Cos happiness
Just can't be bought
Such purity more precious still than gold
And happiness
Can't just be taught
When you're young or if you're old

No matter how, how hard you try
In your own life, and through your years
With every up must come a down
Enjoy the laughter and the tears
Of happiness

- Please note the above is the single version as it does not segue into Revelations as the album version does but it has the video.

- Issued as a single backed with Dear Mr. Murdoch and live versions of Ride The Wild Wind, Old Friends and I Want To Break Free done by Roger at a recent gig. The single hit #32 on the charts.

- The only song from the album that was performed after the Happiness...? Tour.

LIVE ON MAURIO COSTANZO SHOW
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9yrjalbId8[/youtube]

PERSONAL NOTES: One of my favs from the album. It's quietly introspective and has some soaring keyboards and nice vocals. Beautiful song and not one that Roger had really been known for writing.

NEXT? Roger gets a bit more groovin with a political statement in Revelations
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 am

Revelations

Musicians:

Roger Taylor - lead and backing vocals, drums, guitar, keyboards
Jason Falloon - guitars
Phil Spalding - bass guitar

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJatIbCn1R0[/youtube]
I went to the Ukraine
They don't have much to eat
No sugar on the table
But the people stay sweet

I've been to the third world
They've got nothing but hope
Through the starving and dying
Sometimes somehow they cope

It was a revelation
A revelation
A revelation to me

I've been to the US
Promised land of the free (alright)
With the workless and homeless
Begging on every street

It was a revelation
A revelation
A revelation to me

Revelation
It was a
Revelation

And right here in Europe
Far as can be seen
Butter mountains and wine lakes
That much food it's obscene

Now you can label me stupid
Or naive with this song
But when children are starving
I know what's right and what's wrong (what's wrong)

It was a revelation
Yeah - a revelation
A revelation to me, yeah

Revelation
It was a
Revelation

Oooh
Revelation
It was a
Revelation
It was a
Revelation
A revelation to me

- Played throughout the Happiness tour.
- One of the few rocking tracks on the album

LIVE 1994
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8M1jcnlZg[/youtube]

PERSONAL NOTES:
- Love this track because it is a bit more rocking. Some nice Roger vocals on this one and some great drum work as well. This fit well when they went live.

Next? Roger's ode to a love Touch The Sky
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 am

Touch The Sky

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8M9uxYDLpc[/youtube]
Ahhh, oooh, oh, oh, oh

When you smile - honey it's a cinch
I'd crawl for miles - it's worth every inch
I'd touch the sky, honey - for you
The way you turn you head
And the way you walk
I know it's a cliche, honey
The way you talk
And when you smile
You set the world alight (yeah)
When you throw your magic switch
You make me feel alright

Yeah, when you smile - it's a cinch
Paint won't dry - comes to the clinch
Politicians don't lie, honey, it's you

The way you fix your hair
Even - the way you boil your eggs
You got a certain something honey
Goes straight to my legs
And when you laugh
The whole world grins (yeah)
You get right through to my soul with just the little things

And when you smile - honey, I feel
Mountain high - honey, you make
The bad guys die, honey, it's you
It's the little things you do

Yeah, when you smile - honey, you make
Brave men cry - honey, you are
Something wild honey, it's you

Yeah, when you smile
I'd crawl for miles
We'll touch the sky, honey
It's you
It's the little things
The little things
You do

- A midtempo rocker, played at all the Happiness? gigs.

LIVE IN PARIS 1995
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3izOT_CjNc[/youtube]

PERSONAL NOTES:
- Often overlooked little gem. Yes the lyrics get a bit naff at times (Boil your eggs? Really Rog?), but the track itself is a very fun singalong track. To me it is reminiscent of Breakthru which is another song I dig so it is unsurprising that I dig this one!

NEXT? The most Queen-like track on the album. Roger's collaboration with Yoshiki is an epic beautiful track entitled Foreign Sand
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:47 am

Foreign Sand

Written by: Roger Taylor/Yoshiki

Musicians:

Roger Taylor - lead and backing vocals
Yoshiki - drums, piano, synthesizer
Jim Cregan - guitars
Phil Chen - bass guitar
Dick Marx - strings arrangement
Brad Buxer, Geoff Grace - programming

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyjmzzwMZ8[/youtube]
Here we go, ain't it grand
Here we stand on foreign sand
And we're not alone

Why do we fear what we don't understand
Can't we reach out our hands to try just say hello
Try to plant a seed, fulfil the need
To make it grow just say hello
And when you're far from home try to learn from what you see
Your eyes will tell you everything you need

Why do we dread what we don't really know
Come not as concubine, come not as foe
Come with intentions clearly shown
To make it grow just say hello
And though you're far from home try to learn from all you see
Your mind eyes will tell you everything you need
Everything you need

Here we go, ain't it grand
Here we stand on foreign sand
We're not alone
Red, yellow, black and white
Every man stand in the light
Stand not alone

It's not a lie, it's not a sham
We play for keeps, it's not a scam
No bigotry, we're hand in hand
It ain't a cinch, we make a stand
We learn to live
On foreign sand
Just say hello

Why do we despise when we can't even speak
We keep on spreading lies
Far as we know it's the only way to be
To make it grow just say hello, hello, hello

And though you're far from home
Try to learn what you could be
Your heart will tell you everything you need
And though you're far from home
Try to learn what you could be
Your heart will tell you everything you need

Even though you stand
Here you stand
On foreign sand
Ain't it grand
Here we stand
On foreign sand
Together we stand
On foreign sand
Together we stand
Here we stand
On foreign sand

- Issued as a single and hit #26 in the charts
- Written and performed with Yoshiki from the Japanese band X.
- A long epic track with classical piano and soaring vocals. Played live throughout the the Happiness? tour

QUOTES:
“I was contacted by a man called Yoshiki. We met and we got on very well and we decided that we would do an ‘east/west’ collaboration. In the end, he wrote the music – this guy’s an amazing concert pianist – and also an incredibly able rock drummer. So he sent me the music and I thought the music was great, and we talked about that a little bit, then we changed it a little, and I sent him some lyrics and the top nine back.”

– Roger Taylor

“When I was in London, Roger invited me to his house, and we were talking about racial problems, discrimination, segregation…I just told Roger, ‘Can we do something about that?’ and we decided to make some songs for singing about segregation.”

- Yoshiki

ALTERNATE VERSIONS

VIDEO VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpC5NaysJw[/youtube]
- The official video, it cuts out a bit of the instrumental but retains more than the single edit version.

SINGLE EDIT
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CN1ttQhZCs[/youtube]
- Cuts out most of the instrumental interludes but works quite well considering how much is chopped off!

LIVE IN JAPAN 1994
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMV6el30Kc[/youtube]
- Roger went over to Japan for a great music festival and performed with Yoshiki. He also ended up drumming for Bon Jovi at one pont as well.

PERSONAL NOTES: Wow. What a beautiful song. Beautiful sentiment, well crafted dramatic powerful vocals, strings, drums. This is a timeless classic.

NEXT? Roger seems to love songs that are evocative of trains...those drummers and that chugging rhythm. A great building drum rocker in Freedom Train
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Freedom Train

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8SLHg2DmbY[/youtube]
It's been a long time coming
Now it's time to dance
By the golden thread of circumstance
You're destiny come dressed as chance
We've been a long time coming
To this romance

Now I'm an honest man
But the time has come
And I'm a peaceful man
Peace before the storm
I think I hear my train
I think I hear my freedom train

Now the world is changing
Faster than we know
In these troubled lands
Where hate dies slow
I think a train of change
Is coming down the track
It's coming right this way
It ain't turning back

Now I'm an honest man
With a message of hope
And I'm a peaceful man
On a slippery slope
I think I hear my train

Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track
Coming down the track

- One of the few tracks Roger did not attempt live - it has never had a live performance.
- This is rumored to have been demoed by Queen for the Innuendo sessions. It is unclear in the rumor if there is a Freddie vocal version.

PERSONAL NOTES: Although it is quite repetitive, it is meant to be. It is meant to sound like the workings of a train of sorts. But it's very atmospheric and rhythmic. I also really like Roger's lyrics here (the non-repeated ones) and lyrics aren't usually his strong suit!

Next? 'you had to be there'
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:16 am

'you had to be there'

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thl44R6CMJ4[/youtube]
The sweetest moments that I ever had
The most magic memories that I recall
When the man came out and complained in the hall
When I met you, when I met you
'You had to be there'

The darkest hour that I ever lived
And the longest fall that I ever fell
And the sun went in, and the night was hell
When you left me, when you left me
'You had to be there'

The sweetest thoughts that I entertain
Are of happy days that might come again
I don't know your face, I don't know your name
Till we meet again, hope we meet again
You have to be there

- Played live throughout the Happiness? Tour.

- Rumored to be at least in part about Freddie.

LIVE IN GENOVA 1995
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4m5Ur65qE[/youtube]
- AUDIO ONLY
- Pretty similar to the studio version.

PERSONAL NOTES: Very simple but very nice song. It starts a run of similar tracks on the second half that all kind of run into each other.

NEXT? The Key
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 pm

The Key

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars
Phil Spalding - bass

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xr11sRliI[/youtube]
There once was a king of Paris
There was an emperor of Brazil
There was maybe a Loch Ness monster
There once was a Buffalo Bill

Now you can search the whole wide planet
Scratching in the mud and worms
But an honest politician
Is just a contradiction in terms

And if I had the keys to the kingdom
I'd hand them straight to you
In another time, another time
Another place, another place
Another life, another life
Another waste, another waste
Sometimes the last thing you wanna know is the truth

With your bishops, priests and mullahs
And all the mumbo, jumbo clans
When you're not accepting women
How can you love your fellow man

Well you can search the whole wide planet
Down to viruses and germs
A sensible religion
Is just a contradiction in terms

And if I had the keys to the kingdom
I'd hand them straight to you
In another time (another time)
Another place (another place)
Another life (another life)
Another waste (another waste)
Another love (another time)
Another lie (another day)
Another small way to die
Sometimes the last thing you wanna know is the truth

- This track was played live throughout the Happiness tour.

Live in 1995 - Genova
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAaaK91yrk0[/youtube]

PERSONAL NOTES: One of my favs. It sounds a bit like a classic Eurythmics track with that percussive string pattern. The lyrics are wonderful (some of RT's best lyrics are on this album). Beautiful track.

NEXT? Everybody Hurts Sometimes and NO...it's not the REM song.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Everybody Hurts Sometimes

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars
Catherine Porter - backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H12zCaLw8s[/youtube]
Well everybody hurts sometimes - you know it (you know it)
And everybody loves sometimes - don't be afraid to show it
If you don't get a little hurt sometimes
If you don't dig a little dirt sometimes
You ain't living at all

Love and affection (sweetest thing) is the sweetest thing
When love turns sour, it ain't a sin
It's a bitter pill but I tell you, turns to bitter sweet within
And it's on any street, everybody hurts sometimes

Happiness is a young mans dream
But it don't come easy - you know what I mean
Gotta chase it down the street, right to the last scene
Run down that illusion, and try to live your dream

'Cos everybody hurts sometimes (you know it) you know it
And if you don't get a little hurt sometimes
You ain't living at all

'Cos everybody hurts sometimes (you know it) you know it
If you don't get a little hurt sometimes
You ain't living at all

- Played live throughout the Happiness? Tour
- A live version from Shepherd's Bush in 1994 ended up as a B-Side

LIVE SHEPHERD'S BUSH 1994
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7V1C-jfWE[/youtube]

PERSONAL NOTES: Another very nice sentiment from Rog. The assistance from Catherine Porter on backing vocals is quite welcome! Sweet track.

NEXT? Rog talks about Loneliness...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 am

Loneliness...

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhOSArTeOQ[/youtube]
Loneliness - is the greatest curse
And loneliness - is hell on earth
They say it's all in the mind, well I'm sure that's true
But knowing isn't a cure, it don't help me or you

You don't know what it's like
Till you're truly alone
No, you don't know what it's like
Until you're alone
But then it's all in the mind - loneliness

Loneliness - can be so unkind
And loneliness - hope you never find it
They say it's all in the mind
See how it falls off the tongue
They say you reap what you sow
They must be putting us on

No you don't know what it's like
Until you're really alone
Cos you don't know what it's like
Until you're truly alone
No you don't know what it's like
Wait till you're really alone
But then it's all in the mind
Loneliness
Loneliness
Loneliness
Loneliness
Loneliness

- This track was only played sparingly on the Happiness? tour, when it was played it replaced the popular Man On Fire. Given it's similarity to a few other songs it's not a surprise that it was eventually forgotton.

PERSONAL NOTES: Truth be told, my friend loved this track quite a bit. I personally thought it was nothing more than filler. It's not bad, but not a highlight.

NEXT? Roger sings his ode to one of his favorite (not quite :P) people, media mogul Rupert Murdoch...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:24 am

Dear Mr. Murdoch

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lFBBJCvN8[/youtube]
Dear Mr Murdoch, what have you done?
With your news of the screws and your soaraway Sun
You sharpen our hatred
You've blunted our minds
We're drowning in nipples and bingo and sex crimes

How many times must they poke and they pry
Must they twist and lie
Just to add to the grime they even screwed up the times
Love to kick their ass goodbye, oh wouldn't I?

Dear Mr Murdoch you play hard to see
But with your bare arsed cheek you should be on page three
And dear Mr Murdoch you're really the pits
Bad news is good business, you're the king of the tits

They stain all they touch, they're real woman haters
But we're on their trail
They go straight for the lowest common denominators
How could they fail - go straight to jail (no bail)

Dear Mr Murdoch you're a powerful man
You control half our media whose values don't scan life blood is skin
Dear Mr Murdoch we're not so amused
Just line up the people whose lives they've abused

Dear Mr Murdoch what do you know?
With your minions like vultures and carrion crow
They've sunk just as low as humans can sink
For money profit they tell us how mass murderers think

And dear Mr Murdoch you come down from on high
You even bought up the air waves, you control all our sky

Dear Mr Murdoch you're a dangerous chap
With your jingoist lingo we're drowning in crap

Dear Mr Murdoch where are you coming from
Getting so hard to tell if you're a yank, oz or pom

And dear Mr Murdoch, um, you're really the pits
Bad news is good business, you're the king of the tits

Dear Mr Murdoch, um, you do it with zing
At lowering the standards you're really the king

And dear Mr Murdoch what have you done
You're not quite as nice as Atilla The Hun

Murdoch, Murdoch, Murdoch, Murdoch

- According to rumors, it initially developed as a demo for the Cross before Roger had decided to disband them.
- If you couldn't tell, Roger hates Rupert. It developed as Rupert's rags were really invading Freddie's privacy at the end. They were disgustingly invasive. They were no better with Roger and Brian's personal lives either.
- Roger put his money where his mouth was a few times. He helped support a group that was going against Rupert when Rupert was trying to buy a soccer team. Roger's team won happily. At that time he released the song as a B-Side to his current single (in 1998)
- He played the track at the first few Happiness gigs but that's it. (NO YT VIDS)

ALTERNATE VERSIONS

PROMO VERSION
- NO YT VID
- Appeared in Japan, it was a few seconds longer, had a slightly different lyric and additional keyboard.
- I dug it more than the original but it's not world's different.

2011 DOWNLOAD VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypaqJlrk7hk[/youtube]
- After news broke of the Murdoch phone tapping scandal in the UK, Roger basked in the glory and released this version as a download. It is quite different as the effects on Rog's vocal is gone and you can hear Roger's clean vocal. The track is quite cleaned up and more raw - without effect. Quite nice version.

ALMOST NUDE VERSION
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFLtFZvcrM[/YouTube]
- From The Lot boxset's version of Fun On Earth. I'll be honest, I'm a bit confused as to why it was placed here, and it doesn't appear to be much different than the 2011 Download Version although it must be considering the 2011 Download Version also featured elsewhere on the box set.

PERSONAL - It's a great sentiment and a nice track. It's not going to stick in your head or get you singing along too much, but it does it's job. Next? Roger's moving tribute to Freddie...Old Friends
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:51 am

Old Friends

Musicians:

Jason Falloon - guitars
Phil Spalding - bass
Catherine Porter - backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiN9UoFckc[/youtube]
When the sun got big, and the night came down
We used to share a drink, and let the demons out
We let the good times rock - you made the bad times roll
We used to laugh a lot, you had a lot of soul

Old friends - in better times
Old friends of mine

And when the going got hard
And when times were tough
We put our backs to the wall
You used to strut your stuff
With a head held high and a heart so big
One fist at the sky - and shake a leg

Even though, even though we miss you now
Look forward, don't look back
We'll get by somehow

Old friends of mine
Yeah

And so I raise my glass in a last goodbye
Sleep in peace old friend, for me you'll never die
The best thing I can say, after all this time
You were a real friend, of mine

- Written as Roger's tribute to Freddie. It was played live throughout the Happiness? tour with shots of Freddie on the video screen throughout.

- There was a rumor that Roger initially planned to debut it at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert much like Brian debuting Too Much Love Will Kill You but that time ran short. This is dubious however. It is known that Roger singing A Kind of Magic with Chris Thompson was cut due to time constraints so I wonder if people confused the songs for some reason.

LIVE VERSIONS:

LIVE B-SIDE VERSION - SHEPHERD'S BUSH - 1994
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfN6LbotKEQ[/youtube]
- AUDIO ONLY

LIVE IN PARIS - 1994
[YouTube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXNXRLZ3lo[/youtube][/YouTube]
- VIDEO

PERSONAL NOTES: Love Love Love this track. It's Happiness' These Are The Days Of Our Lives Roger's vocals, Catherine's haunting backing vocals. Just a great great track.

Next? Roger and Yoshiki revisit the Cross track Final Destination with amazing results!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:47 am

Final Destination

Written by Roger Taylor

Musicians:

Roger Taylor - Vocals, Drums
Yoshiki - Piano, Keyboards
Jim Cregan - Guitars
Phil Chen - Bass
Dick Marx - String Arrangement
Brad Buxer and Geoff Grace - Programming

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QEupPDm0VQ[/youtube]
Maybe it's just a feeling every time we meet
But you hit me right out of the blue
From all those people out on the streets
And if one time you told me that you cared for me, heaven knows
You would renovate my soul

This could be my destination
You could be my destination
Till the end - end of the line
Till the end - end of my time
Till the end - end of the line
Till the end - end of my time

This could be my destination
You could be my destination, yeah

And if one time you told me that you loved me, heaven knows
You would renovate my soul
You could be my final destination (ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh)
You must be my final destination (ahh, ahh, ahh)
In the day time, in the night time (ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh)
In the summer time, in the winter time (ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh)
About anytime

For all time
Say you'll be mine
You'll be my final destination
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Till the end of time
Till the end of time
Till the end of time, end of time
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Say you'll be mine
Yeah

- The same track initially recorded by The Cross four years prior with a few lyrical differences and some arrangement changes as well.
- Yoshiki appears on this track as well. At one point Roger was considering two separate solo albums. A solo album (Happiness?) and an album with Yoshiki. That album never was completed and it seems the two only did the two songs. This one ended up as a B-Side to Foreign Sand.
- Never played live in this format.
- In Japan this was included on a promo of the album.

PERSONAL NOTES: I LOVE this version so much more than The Cross version. It's a bit more classical, a bit more thundering. Powerful stuff.

Next? The Brian May Band issue their one live album - Live At The Brixton Academy
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:26 pm

THE BRIAN MAY BAND - LIVE AT BRIXTON ACADEMY

1. The Dark/Back To The Light (May)
2. Driven By You (May)
3. Tie Your Mother Down (May)
4. Love Token (May)
5. Headlong (May)
6. Love of My Life (Mercury)
7. '39/Let Your Heart Rule Your Head (May)
8. Too Much Love Will Kill You (May/Musker/Lamers)
9. Since You've Been Gone (Ballard)
10. Now I'm Here (May)
11. Guitar Extravagance (May)
12. Resurrection (May/Powell/Page)/Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury)
13. Last Horizon (May)
14. We Will Rock You (May)
15. Hammer To Fall (May)

Musicians:

Brian May - vocals, guitars
Cozy Powell - drums
Neil Murray - bass guitar
Spike Edney - keyboards, vocals
Jamie Moses - guitars, vocals
Cathy Porter - backing vocals
Shelley Preston - backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7BfC30lP4[/youtube]

LINER NOTES:

We made an eleventh hour decision to record our first London show, Brixton Academy, and this is it. There's no knowing what the gig would have been like if we HADN'T been filming, but in the circumstances we think it came out not too bad. This is how it was on the night, edited down a little for various reasons, those reasons being:

There's only so much running time you can put on a CD or a commercial video;
We lost one song for copyright reasons;
You didn't REALLY want to hear all that crappy stuff where we couldn't get the guitars to work did you?.....

The Brian May band worked its ass off touring in 1993, and came of age. We kicked ourselves into shape the only way you ultimately can, by doing it. We took chances. Sometimes it was dazzling, sometimes it was dodgy. It was challenging, sometimes it was tough. But it was FUN. This recording shows us at a mid-way stage, making our first appearance in our home city. Enjoy, and come with us to the future

P.S. By the way if you were there, THANKS! You're on this record, and without you, folks, there's no show.

- The "crappy stuff" happened during Lost Horizon and they had to restart. The song lost to copyright was a cover of John Lennon's God (The Dream Is Over) where Brian had changed the lyrics. The song initially was about John moving on from the Beatles. Brian made it about him moving on from Queen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufK7ryaVuqU[/youtube]

- The album was release in the UK and hit #20.
- Bohemian Rhapsody isn't listed on the actual album but the hard rock section is included within Resurrection along with a drum bit from Cozy Powell.
- '39 is an a cappella intro only.
- Depending on where they were in the tour, Love Token turned into a mini-play with Brian and the two female backing vocalists...quite humorous at times.

PERSONAL NOTES: I love the album. It was quite dear to me as it was one of the first new products I could buy from a band member. I loved rocking out to all the Queen songs and hearing Brian sing them was very interesting.

NEXT? 1994 Miscellaneous and Collaborations including three tracks from Brian and one from John!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

1994 MISCELLANEOUS

First:

Paralamas (or Os Paralamas Do Successo) - El Vampiro Vajo El Sol

Written by: Vianno Paez

Brian on guitar
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3UZBn2VgI[/youtube]

Ya se hizo noché, sé que debo hacer
Tengo mis cortes bajo una nueva piel
Los que me siguen no me alcanzará¡n
Hasta el amanecer

Ya tuve todo, hoy tengo "la sed"
Probé de todo al menos una vez
Y aunque me digan "i nunca cambiará¡s!"
Yo ya no soy el mismo que ayer

Dejé al miedo, la sombra del dolor
Dejé mi nueva piel quemarse bajo el sol
Dejé a los que dicen que nada va a cambiar
Y algo ya se cambió
Acá¡ dentro en mi
Las luces de mi vida mortal
Acá¡ dentro en mi
Las luces de un dia normal
en mi eternidad

- During Rock In Rio in 1985, Brian met this Spanish band and even played at their soundcheck. Almost ten years later he played on this track.

PERSONAL NOTES:
Nothing special, but not a bad track.

Z - My Beef Mailbox

Written by: Zappa/Zappa

Brian on guitar

NO YT VID or LYRICS

- This is a hunch by me. Z is the brothers Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa (sons of Frank Zappa). They did a few really nonsensical but rocking albums and Brian became friends with Dweezil. Reportedly Brian worked on a track that Dweezil still hasn't released which was a 70 minute guitar solo with guest guitarists galore. It was also said that Brian guested on one of the tracks on the Shampoohorn album. If you do track it down there is a sequence in here which to me is PURE Brian so I feel fairly confident that this would be the track Brian is on.

SOUNDGARDEN - NEW DAMAGE

Written by: Thayil/Cameron/Cornell

Brian on guitar

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2vPi37Gwso[/youtube]
When new damage comes
It's a faceless poison
A new world order
It's new damage done
The wreck is going down
Get out before you drown
The wreck is going down
Get out before you drown
When new damage comes
It's a new word for plague
A new world order
A new word for hate
The wreck is going down
Get out before you drown
The wreck is going down

- Soundgarden is a seminal 90s grunge band and Chris Cornell has an amazing voice. This song was initially on their album, Badmotorfinger. It was re-recorded for Alternative NRG, a benefit album for Greenpeace.

PERSONAL NOTES: Brian adds his tasty licks and rocking self onto an already rocking track. It's an unusual combination but still ends up working out quite well!

STEVE GREGORY - BUSHFIRE

Written by Steve Gregory

John Deacon on bass

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kjSpdUpqKk[/youtube]
INSTRUMENTAL

- A reggae-ish instrumental piece
- Steve Gregory played saxophone on Queen's One Year Of Love in 1986.

PERSONAL NOTES:
Again nothing I couldn't live without, but not a bad track!

NEXT? 1994 Live starting with Roger's first solo tour!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

PreviousNext

Return to Media