Queen (YT Video Heavy)

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: Queen (YT Video Heavy)

Postby soxtalon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:35 pm

ROGER TAYLOR - HAPPINESS? TOUR 1994

ROGER TAYLOR HAPPINESS TOUR GENERAL SETLIST:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everybody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You in Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are The Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

SCARCE TRACKS: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall/Dear Mr. Murdoch/Loneliness

While touring with the Cross, Roger tended to play down his connection with Queen, but on his own he accepted his identity and performed accordingly.  What he didn't do surprisingly was draw much from his first two solo albums (really only Man On Fire and the occasional Strange Frontier).  He also completely abandoned The Cross material so his first solo tour was basically Happiness? tracks, Queen tracks, and a few covers (Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Bob Dylan).

Being the gracious performer he is, he also allowed guitarist Jason Falloon to sing and play one of his own tracks (Soul (See You In Hull)) throughout the gigs.  Roger set himself up a drum kit that he would go back to occasionally, mostly to play second drummer but for the most part Roger sat out front and handled frontman duties. "Old Friends" was performed while showing video footage of Freddie, usually making the audience respond quite well.

Resurrecting Queen tracks - it was no surprise to see A Kind Of Magic, Radio Ga Ga, I Want To Break Free or I'm In Love With My Car. Even The Show Must Go On and Days Of Our Lives weren't shocking although welcome. What was phenomenal though was some of his other more obscure choices. Bringing out Tenement Funster for a first live rendition was amazing! Hearing newer Queen track, Ride The Wild Wind was also quite welcome...

07/28/94 - Roger Taylor
Walpole Park - Gosport, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/The Show Must Go On/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Dear Mr. Murdoch/Foreign Sand/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994

09/15/94 - Roger Taylor
Shepherds Bush Empire - London, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Soul (See You In Hull)/Foreign Sand/Happiness/The Key/The Show Must Go On/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuR4GHqanEQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfG5DUQ8CDo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOWxuV4w2o[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7GU6SZNEg4[/youtube]

09/26/94 - Roger Taylor
Sun Plaza Hall - Tokyo, Japan
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Dear Mr. Murdoch/Foreign Sand (CUT)/Happiness/The Key/The Show Must Go On/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994/I'm In Love With My Car

09/28/94 - Roger Taylor
Club Citta - Kawasaki, Japan
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994/The Show Must Go On

09/30/94 - Roger Taylor
Club Quatro - Nagoya, Japan
Setlist:
A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

10/14/94 - Roger Taylor
Altes Presswerk - Cologne, Germany
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Show

10/24/94 - Roger Taylor
City Square - Milan Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/19/94 - Roger Taylor
Shepherd's Bush Empire - London, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Loneliness/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Soul (See You In Hull)/Dear Mr. Murdoch/Foreign Sand/Happiness/The Key/The Show Must Go On/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Old Friends/Nazis 1994

11/20/94 - Roger Taylor
The Junction - Cambridge, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/22/94 - Roger Taylor
Rock City - Nottingham, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull) (CUT)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/23/94 - Roger Taylor
Riverside - Newcastle, UK
Setlist:

Foreign Sand (CUT)/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/24/94 - Roger Taylor
Leeds Irish Centre - Leeds, UK
Setlist: ?

11/26/94 - Roger Taylor
Royal Court Theatre - Liverpool, UK

11/27/94 - Roger Taylor
The Leadmill - Sheffiled, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'Loneliness/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/29/94 - Roger Taylor
The Garage - Glasgow, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

11/30/94 - Roger Taylor
Bristol Bierkeller - Bristol, UK

12/01/94 - Roger Taylor
Forum Di Assago - Milan, Itlay
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Happiness/Radio Ga Ga/I Want To Break Free/The Show Must Go On

12/02/94 - Roger Taylor - NA
City Hall - Truro, UK

12/03/94 - Roger Taylor
Manchester University - Manchester, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/'You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

12/04/94 - Roger Taylor
Civic Hall - Wolverhampton, UK
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

12/08/94 - Roger Taylor
Europe 1 Studios - Paris, France
Setlist:

I Want To Break Free/Ride The Wild Wind/Foreign Sand/Interview/Happiness/The Key/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Interview/These Are the Days Of Our Lives/The Show Must Go On/Interview

12/08/94 - Roger Taylor
Europe 1 Studios - Paris, France
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everybody Hurts Sometimes/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/I'm In Love With My Car/Revelations/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/We Will Rock You/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1Dkm_Zx3k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuZ2oigm7YM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bsuttNANeE[/youtube]

Next? 1994 Miscellaneous Live!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:30 am

MISCELLANEOUS 1994 LIVE

02/09/94 - Brian May (w/Paul Rodgers)
Kentish Town Forum - London, UK
Setlist (w/Brian):

I'm Ready/Bad Company/All Right Now/Crossroads

One of the early Brian/Paul Rodgers collaboration.

02/15/94 - Brian May (w/Bon Jovi at the Brits (UK Version of the Grammys)
Royal Albert Hall - London, UK w/BON JOVI
Setlist:

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QtjYIatus[/youtube]

Brian sat backstage with Bon Jovi and gave them career advice about making sure they enjoy every minute that Jon and Richie really took to heart and talked about numerous times in interviews afterwards.

04/29/94 - Roger Taylor (@ Mick Ronson Tribute Concert)
Hammersmith Apollo - London, UK
Setlist:

Come Up and See Me/A Kind of Magic/Once Bitten Twice Shy/Resurrection Mary/Baba O Reily/Summertime Blues/Michael Picasso/All The Young Dudes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ3dYPqYPL4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFokqVE6cWY[/youtube]

Mick Ronson was the guitarist in David Bowie's band and also worked with Ian Hunter. His last live performance was at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert before succumbing to cancer. Roger sang A Kind Of Magic and drummed on a bunch of tracks.

05/20/94 - Roger Taylor
Todaiji Temple - Nara, Japan - Great Music Experience
Setlist:

Fly Into Your Dream (w/Toshinori Kondo & Tomoyasu Hotei)/Foreign Sand (w/Yoshiki)/Bed of Roses (w/Bon Jovi)/Wanted Dead Or Alive (w/Bon Jovi)/I Shall Be Released (All Star Finale)

05/21/94 - Roger Taylor
Todaiji Temple - Nara, Japan - Great Music Experience
Setlist:

Fly Into Your Dreams (w/Tomoyasu Hotei)/Foreign Sand (w/Yoshiki)/Bed of Roses (w/Bon Jovi)/Wanted Dead or Alive (w/Bon Jovi)/I Shall Be Released (All Star Finale)

05/22/94 - Roger Taylor
Todajio Temple - Nara, Japan - Great Music Experience
Setlist:

Fly Into Your Dreams (w/Tomoyasu Hotei) (CUT)/Foreign Sand (w/Yoshiki)/Bed of Roses (w/Bon Jovi)/Wanted Dead or Alive (w/Bon Jovi)/I Shall Be Released (All Star Finale)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfS7t5nQS8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMV6el30Kc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leR3MMOXQDo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sCgNzMKZw[/youtube]

05/27/94 - Roger Taylor (Music Station)
Music Station TV SHOW - Japan
Setlist:

Foreign Sand (w/Yoshiki)

06/26/94 - Brian May (Gibson Night of 1000 Guitars)
Wembley Arena - London, UK w/PAUL RODGERS AND OTHERS
Setlist:

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl/A Little Bit of Love/Mr. Big/Let Me Love You Baby (w/Slash)/The Hunter/Bad Company/All Right Now/Crossroads

07/06/94 - Brian May (w/Paul Rodgers)
Auditorium Stravinski - Montreaux, Switzerland
Setlist:

All Right Now/Crossroads/Hoochie Coochie Man

11/19/94 (AIRDATE) - Roger Taylor
Big Bubble - TV SHOW - Germany
Setlist:

Foreign Sand

12/05/94 - Brian May (guesting with Meat Loaf)
Wembley Arena - London, UK
Setlist:

We Will Rock You (?)/Roll Over Beethoven

12/16/94 - Roger Taylor (guesting w/SAS Band)
Ritz Cinema - Gosport, UK w/SAS BAND
Setlist:

Money

12/17/94 - Brian May (guesting w/SAS Band)
Shepherds Bush Empire - London, UK w/SAS BAND
Setlist:

Only Make Believe/Tie Your Mother Down (Country Version)

Brian guests with Spike's band and debut's his new character, T.E. Conway - a parody of sorts of Conway Twitty. Brian would use this persona during the next few years and would open his 1998 tour with it. It was a way for Brian to play some of his old time rock and roll favorites. He also debuted a country-ish version of Tie Your Mother Down. Fun gig.

NEXT? 1995 Studio is a great year including the FINAL Queen album. But first Brian helps out the radio show of Spider-Man!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:05 pm

MC Spy-D + Friends - The Amazing Spider-Man

There's a new street fighter on your window sill
The weapon is beast the word is chill, yeah

Look up there - that's not possible
I've seen that guy somewhere - on TV
Spy-d, spy-d
Spy-d

Our hero is 'live and as thin as a rake
He's as sharp as a scythe with the muscles of a snake
He can run, he can crawl, he can graft in the air
Watch him wrap it all up without turning a hair
The amazing spiderman

Wow - a spider - ow, it, it bit me
Oh, too bad I stepped on it - yow
It's Peter - he's on the ceiling

Now the city's sleeping
Spy-d do his creeping
Creeping he is creeping
We'll be weeping, weeping, weeping, oh
To the wall he's clinging
A spider's web he's spinning
A better life he's bringing
For all the stranded pretty, pretty women

Ah, Mr Fantastic, I, I need help
I think, I think I'm turning into a spider
And I'm not even 18 yet

Is he man, is he insect, all we now is he's great
Watch him weaving his magic into a web of fate
The incredible

Help, help - my God
See the girl hanging from the 53rd storey window
Nobody could climb up there except
Spy-d?
You were expecting Tom Cruise?

See the guy running off with the cash and the choker and sponge
He's getting away
None can stop him except
Spy-d
Spy-d

I will not be ignored, I shall rule you all, I shall - what?
Package for Dr Octopus
Spiderman
Spy-d
It's clobbering time
Spy-d

Every scuzz-bag and creep better hide yourself well
He'll be hot on your heels, he's the spider from hell
He laughs at the dangers, just as he brings
The web-wielding avenger for whom the world sings
The amazing, the amazing
Spiderman

I'm not sure I hope for this long underwear character
Gangway
I'm a good king bomb, a good king bomb
You won't let go with a good king bomb
Here I go - 5, 4
Ooops, ooheee

- Brian was asked to provide music for a Spider-Man radio show that his wife Anita was doing some vocal work. This was compiled and released on a single as MC Spy-D & Friends. It's all similar stuff with some burst of Red Special and some dialogue. It's not something that you will select to listen to very often but it's worth at least one listen!

MASTERMIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n62AJQG1aZs[/youtube]
- Issued as a single and hit #35.

SAD BIT
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaB6Gpfwgak[/youtube]
- The most unique track - a short and bittersweet guitar solo.

WHITE TROUSER MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFwYYuhP2oQ[/youtube]
- An alternate mix but not too different from the initial.

SOLUTION MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ygmEvhM6A[/youtube]
- An alternate mix

BROWN TROUSER MIX
B&J WHITE TROUSER MIX
- NO YT VID
- Alternate mixes in the vein of the White Trouser Mix

SOLUTION CHILLED MIX
- NO YT VID
- Alternate mix in the vein of the Solution Mix

MCSPY-D's FAVORITE STINGS
- NO YT VID
- A quick bit of special effects and bursts

PERSONAL NOTES:
Again, not a constant listen, but an interesting aside!

NEXT? Queen's final album...Made In Heaven
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Made In Heaven

A little background

After the long Innuendo sessions, Freddie adamantly declared he wanted to continue studio sessions. As he could no longer perform live, this was the only way for him to get his music out. The initial plan was to create some B-Sides for Innuendo. However as it went on the band thought the material might just be too good to be used as a B-Side so they decided to shoot for another album. The sessions were very stop and start with the band maybe getting 2-3 days a week depending on how Freddie felt as he was deteriorating at this point. It is unclear exactly when Freddie's last days in the studio were. Some say May of 1991 - others claim he worked until about 4 weeks prior to his death so around the end of September.

But either way his last sessions were powerful. What was amazing to the rest of the band is how upbeat the sessions were. Freddie never gave in to doom and gloom and pestered the boys to write more and more. Ultimately Freddie was adamant that these sessions be released. One tell tale sign according to David Richards is that Freddie chose to do a "final" vocal take over tracks as soon as possible even without the music having been completed. This was the opposite of how Freddie usually had worked.

After Freddie's death, the band concentrated on other things for awhile. Roger had been working with The Cross, Brian had been working on Back To The Light and the band worked on the Tribute Concert. Afterwards Brian felt a keen urge to get out of Queen for awhile. It led to a little tift with the band as Roger (and John) were ready to start trying to assemble the last album before Brian was. And Roger and John went on to perform once as Queen threatening that they were ready to continue with or without Brian.

At this point Roger and John began working on the final album while Brian was touring. This was enough motivation to kick Brian in the backside and when he returned, he called the work "catastrophic" and tore it all back down to basics so they could work together on it.

There was definite question on how to proceed. Freddie didn't leave enough for a full album and archiving was not nearly complete. They knew though they had some bits that could be worked on and they decided to fill the gaps with Queen versions of solo tracks - as long as they fit the theme.

The theme of the album is obvious. Love and hope in the face of tragedy. The album received high marks for being so upbeat despite Freddie's death.

It was released and hit #1 across Europe and climbed to #58 in the US. The album sold nearly 20 million copies worldwide and was a smash hit.

Track Listing
1. It's A Beautiful Day (Mercury/Deacon)
2. Made In Heaven (Mercury)
3. Let Me Live (Mercury/May/Taylor/Deacon)
4. Mother Love (Mercury/May)
5. My Life Has Been Saved (Deacon)
6. I Was Born To Love You (Mercury)
7. Heaven For Everyone (Taylor)
8. Too Much Love Will Kill You (May/Musker/Lamers)
9. You Don't Fool Me (Mercury/May/Taylor/Deacon)
10. A Winter's Tale (Mercury)
11. It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise) (Mercury/Deacon)
12. Yeah (Mercury) (HIDDEN TRACK - REALLY ONLY FREDDIE SAYING "YEAH")
13. Track 13 (HIDDEN TRACK - NEVER TITLED) (Mercury/May/Taylor/Deacon/Richards)

First track? It's A Beautiful Day
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 am

It's A Beautiful Day

Written by Freddie Mercury/John Deacon

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead vocals, piano
Brian May - guitars
John Deacon - bass guitar, keyboards
Roger Taylor - cymbals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyP6YNr9Jc[/youtube]
It's a beautiful day
The sun is shining
I feel good
And no-one's gonna to stop me now, oh yeah

It's a beautiful day
I feel good, I feel right
And no-one, no-one's gonna stop me now, mama

Sometimes I feel so sad, so sad, so bad
But no-one's gonna stop me now, no-one
It's hopeless, so hopeless to even try

- The oldest "song" on the album. The vocals and piano are taken from a bit from The Game sessions. It was expanded out by the band and the classical motif/keyboard sequence came from John.

ALTERNATIVE:

ORIGINAL SPONTANEOUS IDEA
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7CZMOGmIHI[/youtube]
- Released on the 2011 remaster of The Game this was the original vocal/piano snippet the band took to create the track with/

SINGLE VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=803lbq0JTrs[/youtube]
- A combination of the album track and the reprise track from the end without the Queen samples.

2005 TECHNO REMIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Ro5FDm-tE[/youtube]
- Remixed by Ross Robertson and DJ Korma. This was an unsanctioned mix that was basically a fan mix. Somehow the band heard it and dug it so much they used it as the "opening" track of their 2005 tour with Paul Rodgers. It was "released" on the band's website as a download.

PERSONAL NOTES: It's a great sentiment to start the album (and kind of end as well). It works well and I remember the first time I heard it I held such a bittersweet hope. It was beautiful, sad, and yet hopeful. Great snippet.

Next? Queen (mostly Roger) rearranges Freddie's classic Made In Heaven into what Brian has said is Queen's finest moment.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

Made In Heaven

Written by: Freddie Mercury

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead and backing vocals, piano, keyboards
Brian May - guitars
John Deacon - bass guitar
Roger Taylor - drums, percussion
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PfSBtWFaJ0[/youtube]

I'm taking my ride with destiny
Willing to play my part
Living with painful memories
Loving with all my heart

Made in heaven, made in heaven
It was all meant to be, yeah
That's what they say
Can't you see
That's what everybody says to me
Can't you see
Oh I know, I know, I know that it's true
Yes it's really meant to be
Deep in my heart

I'm having to learn to pay the price
They're turning me upside down
Waiting for possibilities
Don't see too many around

It's for all to see
That's what everybody says
Everybody says to me
It was really meant to be
Oh can't you see
Yeah everybody, everybody says
Yes it was meant to be
Yeah yeah

When stormy weather comes around
It was made in heaven
When sunny skies break through behind the clouds
I wish it could last forever, yeah
Wish it could last forever, forever

Made in heaven
I'm playing my role in history
Looking to find my goal
Taking in all this misery
But giving it all my soul

It was all meant to be
That's what everybody says
Wait and see, it was really meant to be
So plain to see
Yeah, everybody, everybody, everybody tells me so
Yes it was plain to see, yes it was meant to be
Written in the stars...
Written in the stars...
Written in the stars...

- Apparently, this is an arrangement spearheaded by Roger. It adds thundering drums and some great guitar work from Brian.

- It was never attempted live nor will it be is my guess.

“…which I think is possibly the best-sounding Queen song ever.” – Brian May - 2004

PERSONAL NOTES: As Freddie tired of his Mr. Bad Guy albums, we were left with songs that had great potential but never seemed quite finished. Brian and Roger add such life to this track which was already a great track. It is just made even greater. Brilliant, brilliant track. One of my favorite Brian solos.

NEXT? What might be MY favorite track on the album, the gospel-tinged trio, Let Me Live
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Let Me Live

Written by: Freddie Mercury/Brian May/Roger Taylor/John Deacon

Musicians:

Brian May - lead vocals (3rd verse), guitars, backing vocals, organ (?)
Roger Taylor - lead vocals (2nd verse and bridge), drums, percussion, backing vocals
Rebecca Leigh-White - backing vocals
Gary Martin - backing vocals
Catherine Porter - backing vocals
Miriam Stockley - backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4_u0_Dpa8[/youtube]
Three four
Ooh
Take a piece of my heart
Take a piece of my soul
Let me live
Oh yeah

Why don't you take another little piece of my heart
Why don't you take it and break it
And tear it all apart
All I do is give
And all you do is take
Baby why don't you give me
A brand new start

So let me live (So let me live)
Let me live (Leave me alone)
Let me live, oh baby
And make a brand new start

Why don't you take another little piece of my soul
Why don't you shape it and shake it
'Til you're really in control
All you do is take
And all I do is give
All that I'm askin'
Is a chance to live

(So let me live) - So let me live
(Leave me alone) - Let me live, let me live
Why don't you let me make a brand new start

Yeah, and it's a long hard struggle, yeah yeah
But you can always depend on me
And if you're ever in trouble - hey
You know where I will be

Why don't you take another little piece of my life
Why don't you twist it and turn it
And cut it like a knife
All you do is live
All I do is die
Why can't we just be friends
Stop livin' a lie

So let me live (So let me live)
Let me live (Leave me alone)
Please let me live
(Why don't you live a little)
Oh yeah baby
(Why don't you give a little love...?)
Go for it baby

Let me live
Please let me live
Oh yeah baby, let me live
And make a brand new start
Let me live (Let me live)
Ooh yeah (Let me live)
Come on (Let me live ooh)

In your heart, oh baby
(Take another piece, take another piece)
Ooh please let me live
Why don't you take another piece
Take another little piece of my heart
Oh yeah baby
Make a brand new start
Baby baby
Baby baby
Baby baby
Baby baby
All you do is take, take
Let me live
(Let me live)
Oh yeah let
Let me live

- A gospel song featuring extra backing vocalists. Freddie sings the first verse and choruses. Roger takes the second verse and bridge while Brian sings the third verse and they all trade lines at the end.

- Issued as a single and hit #9 in the UK

- Initially began life as a demo with Rod Stewart during The Works sessions (Some rumors say as far back as A Day At The Races but that seems faulty).

- There was a version released on a promo of the album which is now called the "banned version". There were even more backing vocals and extra lyrics that reportedly came too close to Janis Joplin's Piece Of My Heart so they were changed.

ALTERNATIVES

ROD STEWART DEMO SNIPPET
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYM30YdAoc[/youtube]
- A snippet only from the Great Pretender documentary

BANNED VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVouzWuJ_Q[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL
- My favorite version with even more harmonies!

PERSONAL NOTES: AWESOME TRACK! Fun piece to singalong to and by now you probably know that I love it when they trade off on vocals. I would like to see this tried live at some point.

NEXT? Freddie's final vocal take...ever. The sad and haunting, Mother Love
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Mother Love

Written by: Freddie Mercury/Brian May

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead vocals, keyboards (?), drum machine
Brian May - guitars, lead vocals (final verse), keyboards
Roger Taylor - drums

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcd_DW9Qhg[/youtube]
I don't want to sleep with you
I don't need the passion too
I don't want a stormy affair
To make me feel my life is heading somewhere
All I want is the comfort and care
Just to know that my woman gives me sweet -
Mother love ah ha

I've walked too long in this lonely lane
I've had enough of this same old game
I'm a man of the world and they say that I'm strong
But my heart is heavy, and my hope is gone

Out in the city, in the cold world outside
I don't want pity, just a safe place to hide
Mama please, let me back inside

I don't want to make no waves
But you can give me all the love that I crave
I can't take it if you see me cry
I long for peace before I die
All I want is to know that you're there
You're gonna give me all your sweet -
Mother love ah ha (mother love)

My body's aching, but I can't sleep
My dreams are all the company I keep
Got such a feeling as the sun goes down
I'm coming home to my sweet -
Mother love

(Mother love mother love love love love love)
God works in mysterious ways
Eeeeh dop, de dop, dep dop
I think I'm goin' back to the things I learnt so well in my youth

- This is it, the last song that Freddie Mercury recorded vocals on. He sang the first two verses, chorus, and bridge and then at that point told Brian he couldn't do it anymore today and would finish it next session...of course there was no next session :( That is why Brian sings the last verse.

- Rumors are there is a demo version with Roger on vocals. This may have been part of the aborted Brian-less sessions and may be one of the reasons Brian was not pleased. He did make comments that he felt it a really personal song with Freddie and that's why we probably didn't get Roger on vocals.

- The ending of the song features a fast forward medley that reportedly is a bit from every Queen song ever recorded.

- The final line is taken from "Goin' Back" which was the first single Freddie was on (as Larry Lurex)

QUOTES:

“It was never finished.. He never came back to do the final verse, but to the end, even when he couldn’t even stand, without propping himself up, he was just giving it his all. You can hear the incredible strength of his voice in that track, and the passion that he’s putting into it. And we’re making it up as we go along, you know. I’m scribbling words on pieces of paper and he’s grabbing them, and saying ‘Roll the tape. I’ll do this one.’ He knew that it might be the last time he was ever able to sing and, in that case, it was.” – Brian May – 1999

“In the last few weeks of his life, Freddie would say ‘Get me doing stuff. Write me more words, more words, more words. Give me stuff to sing, because when I’ve gone you guys can finish it off.’ Well this song was almost finished. He said, ‘Look, that’s about as much as I can do.’ He’d had a couple of vodkas. He’d gone totally for the middle eight, which you’ll hear on this, which is phenomenal, and then he said, ‘Look. It’s okay. I’ll come back in a few days and finish it off.’ Well that was the last time he was ever there, and so in the end I sang the last verse, because I didn’t want to mess with the format of it at all. I just wanted it to be as it was. And this was something which I sort of carried in my pocket for a couple of years – actually probably more than that – until the time when we were able to make the Made In Heaven album. And it’s a long story. I mean there’s more than two years of my life certainly in trying to assemble that material around the vocals that he’d left, and we all worked very hard on it. But what I wanted was to preserve that moment the best way I could and tell the story, and that’s what you hear. There’s a piece in the middle which to me represents you know, looking back on your life and stuff like that. But there was no morbidity in singing it. It was a kind of joyful thing – that’s all I can say. It’s a fairly serious song but it was – there was great joy in Fred finding these notes, finding this performance. I think it’s superb.” – Brian May – Virgin Radio - 2004

PERSONAL NOTES:
- It's hard to judge this song outside the circumstances. It's a haunting ballad and a fitting swan song of sorts for Freddie who never gave in.

NEXT? My Life Has Been Saved
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:31 pm

My Life Has Been Saved

Written by: John Deacon

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead vocals
Brian May - guitars
Roger Taylor - drums
David Richards - keyboard programming

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQzM9TXcAm0[/youtube]
This is where we are today
People going separate ways
This is the way things are now
In disarray

I read it in the papers
There's death on every page
Oh Lord, I thank the Lord above
My life has been saved, eaah eah

Here we go, tellin' lies
Here we go - here we go

We're right back where we started from
People going separate ways
This is the way things are now
In disarray - hey

I read it in the papers
There's death on every page
Aah - oh Lord, I thank you from above
My life has been saved

Ooh ooh ooh ooh my life
My life has been saved
Ooh my my life
My life has been saved

- Originally a B-Side from The Miracle sessions in 1989, this track was also reworked for inclusion on the final Queen album - intuitively because of the theme of life affirmation that runs through the album.
- The rework loses Brian's slide guitar and some vocals and puts more emphasis on Freddie's piano.

[a href="http://adamtopia.com/post/398085/thread"]ALTERNATE VERSION: 1989 B-SIDE - ALREADY DISCUSSED PREVIOUSLY HERE[/a]

PERSONAL NOTES: Meh. I like the B-Side version better. It may fit this album better this way, but it's not as good musically.

NEXT? Queen reworks a second Freddie solo track, this one becomes the rocker needed on the album - I Was Born To Love You
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:04 pm

I Was Born To Love You

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead and backing vocals, piano, keyboards
Brian May - guitars, keyboards
Roger Taylor - drums, percussion

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2fdYY_bz4g[/youtube]
I was born to love you
With every single beat of my heart
Yes, I was born to take care of you, ha
Every single day...
Alright, hey hey

I was born to love you
Yes, I was born to take care of you
Every single day of my life

You are the one for me
I am the man for you
You we're made for me
You're my ecstasy
If I was given every opportunity
I'd kill for your love

So take a chance with me
Let me romance with you
I'm caught in a dream
And my dream's come true
So hard to believe
This is happening to me
An amazing feeling
Comin' through -

I was born to love you
Yes, I was born to take care of you, honey

I wanna love you
I love every little thing about you
I wanna love you, love you, love you
Born - to love you
Born - to love you
Yes I was born to love you
Born - to love you
Born - to love you
Every single day - day of my life
Woh

An amazing feeling
Comin' through

I was born to love you
Yeah, I was born to take care of you
Yeah I was born to love you

Go, woh, I love you babe, hey
Born to love you
Yes, I was born to love you hey
I wanna love you, love you, love you
I wanna love you
Yeah yeah
Ha ha ha ha ha it's magic
What ha ha ha
I get so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, yeah
I want to love you
It's magic
Love you, love you
Yeah, give it to me

- Issued as a single in Japan where it hit #45. It became more well known later on in abour 2004, after being in an advertisement.

- Seems to be a Brian arrangement with a lot of extra guitars.

- The ending has a few snippets taken from different tracks such as A Kind Of Magic[/b](Ha ha ha ha it's magic) and Freddie's solo Living On My Own (I get so lonely, lonely, lonely, yeah)

ALTERNATIVE

VIDEO VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbpOZpZm8_k[/youtube]
- Part of the Made In Heaven Films project where young British filmmakers made short form films out of MIH songs.

VINYL EDIT
PROMO EDIT
GREATEST HITS 2011 EDIT JAPAN
- NO YT Vids.
- NOT ESSENTIAL. They all are brief edits at the end of the song just in slightly different spots.

LIVE
QPR IN JAPAN 2005
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNB7BQHJ_VY[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL! I wish I could find the official release but it's been taken off YT. You really can't see it here but you hear it at least.
- On their short Japan tour in 2005, it had just been a big hit again so Brian and Roger decided to give the Japanese fans a treat. So during the encore, Brian brought out an acoustic guitar and sings a verse and Roger comes out to sing a verse and it's just awesome. It reminds me of Brian's little dittys at Hammersmith. Fun version.

QAL IN JAPAN 2014
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsvtF0xWxM[/youtube]
- ESSENTIAL!
- Very nice version by Adam in Korea. The first time it was done live in full band form.

PERSONAL NOTES: I LOVE this version more than Freddie's solo. A lot more guitars and it actually seems like they were jamming together when they recorded this (even though obviously they were not).

NEXT? Queen dipped into Roger's solo career by remaking Heaven For Everyone
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:46 am

Heaven For Everyone

Written by: Roger Taylor

Musicians:

Brian May - guitars, backing vocals
Roger Taylor - drums, keyboards, backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9DOp1oJJsI[/youtube]
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven for everyone
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven

In these days of cool reflection (reflection)
You come to me and everything seems alright
In these days of cold affections
You sit by me - and everything's fine

This world could be fed, this world could be fun
This world could be free, this world could be one

In this world of cool deception
Just your smile can smooth my ride
These troubled days of cruel rejection, hmm
You come to me, soothe my troubled mind

Yeah, this could be heaven for everyone
This world could be fed, (yeah) this world could be fun
This should be love for everyone, yeah
This world should be free, (yeah) this world could be one
We should bring love to our daughters and sons
Love, love, love, this could be heaven for everyone
You know that
This could be heaven for everyone yes
Ha ha haa
This could be heaven for everyone, yea he he he - woh
Heaven for everyone

Listen - what people do to other souls
They take their lives - destroy their goals
Their basic pride and dignity
Is stripped and torn and shown no pity
When this should be heaven for everyone

This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven wooh
Could be heaven for everyone
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven ooh
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
Love love love love love
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
This could be heaven
For everyone
For everyone

- Reportedly (but not confirmed) initially demoed as a Queen song during the A Kind Of Magic sessions. When it went unused Roger took it to The Cross during the Shove It sessions. Freddie sang a version fro The Cross then as well.

- Brian is all over this track now really adding a lot of guitar and some vocals as well

- The first single released off the album in the UK where it hit #2

ALTERNATE VERSIONS:
SINGLE EDIT
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmWkbMzIrqI[/youtube]
- NOT ESSENTIAL
- Simply removes some instrumental and vocal adlibs to tighten it up

VIDEO VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8lrvKLzg0[/youtube]
- NOT ESSENTIAL
- Additional vocal line and missing drum beat

PERSONAL NOTES: Another very nice later years Roger track that Freddie takes and runs with. But it is Brian that elevates this to amazing. Some great guitar work from the doctor and the choir backing vocals are phenomenal!

NEXT? Now we dip into Brian's solo catalogue (although Queen DID try it first) with Too Much Love Will Kill You
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Too Much Love WIll Kill You

Written by: Brian May/Frank Musker/Elizabeth Lamers

Musicians:

Brian May - guitars, piano, backing vocals
Roger Taylor - drums
David Richards - keyboard programming

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDp3q0jUpFA[/youtube]
I'm just the pieces of the man I used to be
Too many bitter tears are raining down on me
I'm far away from home
And I've been facing this alone
For much too long
Oh, I feel like no-one ever told the truth to me
About growing up and what a struggle it would be
In my tangled state of mind
I've been looking back to find
Where I went wrong

Too much love will kill you
If you can't make up your mind
Torn between the lover
And the love you leave behind
You're headed for disaster
'Cos you never read the signs
Too much love will kill you - every time

I'm just the shadow of the man I used to be
And it seems like there's no way out of this for me
I used to bring you sunshine
Now all I ever do is bring you down
Ooh, how would it be if you were standing in my shoes
Can't you see that it's impossible to choose
No there's no making sense of it
Every way I go I'm bound to lose
Oh yes,

Just as sure as none at all
It'll drain the power that's in you
Make you plead and scream and crawl
And the pain will make you crazy
You're the victim of your crime
Too much love will kill you - every time

Yes, too much love will kill you
It'll make your life a lie
Yes, too much love will kill you
And you won't understand why
You'd give your life, you'd sell your soul
But here it comes again
In the end
In the end

- Issued as a single in the UK where it hit #15 and in the US where it hit #118

- Initially demoed as a Queen song during The Miracle sessions before being abandoned. Resurrected by Brian for his Back To The Light sessions and then again for the Made In Heaven sessions.

- Queen fans are torn on their favored version. Some fans prefer Freddie's more powerful vocals while some prefer Brian's more emotional take (given he lived the lyrics).

ALTERNATE VERSIONS:

Video Version
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvaZeDL-wa8[/youtube]
- A film by a young British director.
- Adds more atmospheric sounds than anything.

Promo Edit
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zgtGmMpN0[/youtube]
- For the US mainly, this is a bit of a butchering taking out a few lines of a verse so that it no longer even rhymes.

Vocal Demo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKjGFYV0Yc[/youtube]
- From 1989 The Miracle sessions, this is one of the Freddie takes - slightly different from final version used.

LIVE VERSIONS:

QUEEN - APRIL 1992 - THE FREDDIE MERCURY TRIBUTE
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1n3-OH0r8k[/youtube]
- The track makes it's debut. It's Brian and Spike. It is piano and vocals only. Brian gets quite emotional during the track however.

QUEEN + LUCIANO PAVAROTTI - 2003
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7FGPIRJx6I[/youtube]
- From Pavarotti and Friends in 2003, Queen did a short set. Brian performed it solo at a previous P&Friends set and Pavarotti noted how much he enjoyed the song. So he decided to sing it with Brian this time around. A great version even if Brian's voice is a bit dwarfed by the legend...it would have been interesting to see Freddie sing with the big man!

QUEEN + KATIE MELUA - 2005
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMLAeVhJ9E[/youtube]
- At the 46664 gig, Paul Rodgers took a brief respite while young singer/songwriter Katie Melua took lead on the track, the first and last time it was played on the QPR stage and the last time Queen (or Brian) has performed the song!

PERSONAL NOTES:
I am one who loves both versions equally for the same reasons Queen fans cite. You can never get better than a Freddie read but this song is so obviously personal for Brian. I'm glad we have both takes. I do however prefer the more organic piano sound of Brian's over the Doogie Howser keyboard on the Queen version.

Next? A song with far too many remixes...the dancy You Don't Fool Me
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 am

You Don't Fool Me

Written by: Freddie Mercury/Brian May/Roger Taylor/John Deacon (with assist from producer David Richards)

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead and backing vocals
Brian May - guitars
Roger Taylor - drums, percussion, keyboards, backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZTQhhGTSE8[/youtube]
Oh oh...

You don't fool me, you don't fool me
You don't fool me

You don't fool me

Da da da da dah
Da da da dah
Da da dah ah

You don't fool me - those pretty eyes
That sexy smile - you don't fool me, uh
You don't rule me - you're no surprise
You're telling lies - hey, you don't fool me
Mmm, mama said be careful of that girl
Mama said you know that she's no good
Mama said be cool, don't you be no fool
Yup bup ba ba ba ba da da da dah
You don't fool me
You don't fool me
You don't fool me, she'll take you
You don't fool me, and break you
You don't fool me, and break you
Sooner or later you'll be playing by her rules

Baby you don't fool me, yeah

You don't fool me, you don't have to say 'don't mind'
You don't have to teach me things I know
Sooner or later you'll be playing by her rules
Oh (fool you) oh (rule you) she'll take you (take you)
And break you (break you)
Yeah

Mama said be cool
Mama said she'll take you for a fool
She'll take you and break you
Ba ba ba ba ba bah bah bah da da dah dah dah

Na na na na nah
Na na na nah
Na na nah ah
Na na na na nah (you don't fool me, you don't fool me)
Na na na nah (you don't fool me, you don't fool me)
Na na nah ah (you don't fool me, you don't fool me)

You don't fool me

- Issued as a single throughout all the clubs especially in Europe where it hit #17.
- Reportedly the whole song was taken from a very little bit of snippets and Dave Richards convinced the other three they could make a whole song out of it.
- Remixed...a lot for the clubs.
- Some liner notes for Greatest Hits 3 stated it harkened back to the Hot Space era misleading many Queen fans to think the demo came from those sessions which is not the case.

QUOTE:

"As I remember, the bare bones of this song (and they were VERY Bare!) were put down in the last sessions we did with Freddie in Montreux. When it came to piecing together Made In Heaven, David Richards was keen to make the fragments into a finished song. I wasn’t sure there was enough to work on! He got a long way with weaving textures, around the vocal sections we had, stretching things out a little. I think both Roger and John, who had a lot to do with those original fragments in the beginning, went in and added some ideas. There came a point where finally I got enthusiastic, and I spent a day or so, with Dave, putting down a lot of riffy ideas that came to me while listening to the rough so far. Dave then moved a lot of things around, and worked his magic…and then we all sat around and said, ‘Didn’t we just play that perfectly!’” – Brian May

Alternate:

DANCING DIVAZ MIXES
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn1gq_2QkbY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ctZL71vB6k[/youtube]
RHYTHM MIX HAS NO YT VID
- Some Spanish guitar added (not Brian) and a faster tempo

LATE MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVXw1lp_rs[/youtube]
DUB DANCE SINGLE HAS NO YT VID
- Remixed by David Richards, also contains live snippets from Live Aid

FREDDY BASTONE MIXES
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mkod2LvcPI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sToPfNHmq4k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl7RY1kP-es[/youtube]

QUEEN FOREVER MIX (not the same as the album Queen Forever) HAS NO YT VID
- Some clips from Live Aid as well as White Man
- Freddy previously remixed Seven Seas of Rhye for the Queen II Hollywood remaster.

JAM & SPOON MIXES
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQY4-Jhj3ao[/youtube]
- There is also a mis-edit which chopped off the beginning.

DUTCH EDIT
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ORurbXUPE[/youtube]
- Chops off a bit of the track but works well as a single edit

FRENCH EDIT/VINYL EDIT
NO YT VID
- A better edit than the Dutch one but similar.

BS PROJECT REMIXES
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_ROq_XvlE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nBRU5djSw[/youtube]
- A repetitive remix with a lot of droney keyboard/electronic vocals

PERSONAL NOTES:
Well I could certainly do without the remixes. BUT the original version of the song is quite a feat given the lack of actual material and many fans will tell you that this is their favorite Brian solo of latterday Queen and I'd be hard pressed to argue. It's a great burst of energy in the middle of the track. Well done overall. It took a bit to grow on me but now it is one of my favorite tracks on the album! Next? The final song Freddie ever wrote...A Winter's Tale
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm

A Winter's Tale

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - lead and backing vocals, keyboards
Brian May - guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
Roger Taylor - drums, backing vocals

OFFICIAL VIDEO
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWQZBmJf6M[/youtube]
FILMMAKERS VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6U-Wu6zzKE[/youtube]
It's winter-fall
Read skies are gleaming, oh
Sea-gulls are flyin' over
Swans are floatin' by
Smoking chimney-tops
Am I dreaming
Am I dreaming...?

The nights draw in
There's a silky moon up in the sky, yeah
Children are fantasising
Grown-ups are standin' by
What a super feeling
Am I dreaming
Am I dreaming...?
Woh-woh-woh-woh

(Dreaming) So quiet and peaceful
(Dreaming) Tranquil and blissful
(Dreaming) There's a kind of magic in the air
(Dreaming) What a truly magnificent view
(Dreaming) A breathtaking scene
With the dreams of the world
In the palm of your hand

(Dreaming) A cosy fireside chat
(Dreaming) A little this, a little that
(Dreaming) Sound of merry laughter skippin' by
(Dreaming) Gentle rain beatin' on my face
(Dreaming) What an extraordinary place!
And the dream of the child
Is the hope of the, hope of the man

It's all so beautiful
Like a landscape painting in the sky, yeah
Mountains are zoomin' higher, uh
Little girls scream an' cry
My world is spinnin' and spinnin' and spinnin'
It's unbelievable
Sends me reeling
Am I dreaming
Am I dreaming...?

Oooh - it's bliss

- Issued as a single that hit #6 in the UK.
- This was the last song that Freddie ever wrote - according to boyfriend Jim Hutton, it was written in the winter of 1990 in Montreux.

QUOTES:

“I love the last song he wrote, ‘A Winter’s Tale’. It doesn’t philosophize, it’s just about how beautiful life is. He wrote it one morning, beside the lake and looking at the mountains.” – Brian May – Daily Mirror – 2002

“Freddie mainly used the piano for songwriting, but there were times when he’d get inspiration when he wasn’t around his instrument. It could be any experience, a skate on the pond. One of the last songs he wrote, ‘A Winter’s Tale,’ was written purely sat looking out on the mountains from the other side of Lake Geneva. He could obviously hear it all in his head, although he didn’t have any musical instruments with him. I remember him coming into the stidup and saying, ‘I’ve got this idea…just give me a few minutes.’ Then he brought it to life. That’s a beautiful track, actually.” – Brian May – Classic Rock - 2011

ALTERNATE VERSIONS

COSY FIRESIDE MIX
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jhFDcIFouQ[/youtube]
- From the 2011 remasters, this is a slight remix that strips down a few of the ambient portions. Not a heckuva difference to be honest - mostly in mix.

PERSONAL NOTES:
What a way to go out! A wonderful, beautiful song from a man dying of AIDS. It amazes me how positive he remained throughout. Some great harmonies, some great guitar work. Just a great song. Next? It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:05 pm

It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise)

Written by: Freddie Mercury/John Deacon

Musicians:

Brian May - guitars, backing vocals
John Deacon - bass guitar, keyboards
Roger Taylor - drums, backing vocals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pymfx4uwIY[/youtube]
It's a beautiful day
The sun is shining
I feel good
And no-one's gonna to stop me now, oh yeah.

It's a beautiful day
And no-one, no-one's gonna stop me now
No-one's gonna stop me now
No-one's gonna stop me now yeah
No-one's gonna stop me now no no no

Yeah

No-one, no-one, no-one's gonna stop me now
No-one

No-one's gonna stop me now yeah no no no

No-one, no-one
Yeah

- Based on the same spontaneous idea but this one goes off into a far more rocking finale. It includes samples from Queen's first ever hit, Seven Seas Of Rhye and Brian doing an Indian sounding motif.

- The final "Yeah" is given it's own track for some unknown reason. The "Yeah" from all reports is a sample from Action This Day so no idea why it warrant's it's own track.

ALTERNATE VERSION

VINYL EDIT
NO YT VID
- Includes the "Yeah"

DEEP CUTS VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMPDd4IkFjQ[/youtube]
- Also includes the "Yeah" and also trails out a bit slower.

PERSONAL NOTES:
Another nice way to go out and nice to have a bit more thunder at the end. The Seven Seas sample is a nice addition and overall it's a fun track. Next? Well the album tracklisting was done...but what is this hidden 22 minute ambient piece of music? An untitled experiment that has been given the simple monniker of Track 13
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Track 13

Written by: Freddie Mercury/Brian May/Roger Taylor/John Deacon/David Richards

Musicians:

Freddie Mercury - voice
Brian May - keyboards
Roger Taylor - keyboards
David Richards - keyboards

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRsUn8LCr3c[/youtube]
Largely instrumental, though contains various bits of Freddie talking.

- Reportedly initiated by David Richards playing around with some sonic ambient sequences and Brian and Roger (John?) got a hold of it and added their own touches including some Freddie spoken word. Supposedly about the journey to heaven.

QUOTE:

"This was started by me having fun with the ASR10 sampler. I took the opening chords of ‘It’s A Beautiful Day’ and made them loop forever. Then I added some of Freddie talking through strange echoes. Brian and Roger heard it and came in to add some effects of their own and we thought of it as a surreal Requiem. It was the end of the album and we all were feeling very emotional.” – David Richards - 2001

PERSONAL NOTES: At 22 minutes this isn't a quick listen. BUT if you put the lights low, maybe light some candles and put some headphones on it works as a moving journey. It is very minimalist. Not a lot happens, but yet it works...I will warn you though at one point just when you might be lulled to complete relaxation, a big RT drum crash will shock your system! But the bits of Freddie speaking work well and it is just a nice epilogue...almost as if the band didn't want to leave...

It went unnamed for awhile with various names being bandied about. It never was officially named but it was slightly namechecked as Track 13 so that's what stuck. At the time, I always thought of it as "Transcendence"

NEXT? Brian did do some other studio work in 1995 so let's see what it is!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:52 pm

BRIAN MISCELLANEOUS 1995

Heartsong (Gordon Giltrap)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEaxX5H4qs[/youtube]

- A re-recording of a 1977 Giltrap track.

- Appears on Gordon Giltrap's Music For The Small Screen

- Also features Midge Ure, Neil Murray, Steve Howe, and Rick Wakeman on the track.

PERSONAL NOTES: Not a bad track. Nothing really memorable though.

Make My Dreams Come True (S.O.L. a/k/a Stefan Zauner)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqR60H2rnc[/youtube]

- Features Brian on guitar

PERSONAL NOTES: Another non memorable track but nice Brian playing.

Nobody Knew (Carmine Appice)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01uxiu7xl4[/youtube]

- There is also a radio edit not on YT

- At one point going to be released as a single but the proper permissions weren't sought so it was quickly withdrawn.

- Brian features on guitar.

PERSONAL NOTES: A great metal-ish track. It's great to hear Brian get a chance to really rock out. Great track.

NEXT? 1995 LIVE which sees the finishing of Roger's Happiness? tour.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:16 pm

We continue with Roger's Happiness tour with the same setlist info as 1994:

01/16/95 - Roger Taylor
Hippodrome - Monfalcone, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

01/17/95 - Roger Taylor
Palazetto - Schio, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire (CUT)/''You Had To Be There' (CUT)/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

01/18/95 - Roger Taylor
Teatro Verdi - Genova, Italy
Setlist:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpZTL1iFKk&list=PL38CA7C345946B2F6[/YouTube]
It says October for some reason but this is the show.  If you click on the YT link and click on the uploader, he has the whole show separated out.

01/20/95 - Roger Taylor
Vidia - Cesena, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull) (twice)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

01/21/95 - Roger Taylor
Teatro Tenda - Firenze, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout/

01/22/95 - Roger Taylor
Palladium - Rome, Italy
Setlist:

Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Voodoo Chile/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

01/23/95 - Roger Taylor
Maurizio Costanzo TV SHOW - Italy
Setlist:

Happiness

01/24/94 - Roger Taylor
Teatro Nazionale La Valetta - Valetta, Malta

01/25/95 - Roger Taylor
Teatro Metropolitan - Palermo, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days Of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga

01/26/95 - Roger Taylor
Teatro Metropolitan - Catania, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/''You Had To Be There'/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

01/29/95 - Roger Taylor
Havana Club - Napoli, Italy
Setlist:

A Kind of Magic/Touch The Sky/Everbody Hurts Sometimes/Ride The Wild Wind/Tenement Funster/Man On Fire/I Want To Break Free/Foreign Sand/Soul (See You In Hull)/I'm In Love With My Car/Happiness/The Key/Revelations/These Are the Days of Our Lives/We Will Rock You/Radio Ga Ga/Nazis 1994/Old Friends/The Show Must Go On/Twist & Shout

MISCELLANEOUS LIVE APPERANCES

06/17/95 - Roger Taylor (w/SAS BAND) - ROCK AGAINST HATE concert
Club Openair Lengnau - Zurich, Switzerland
Setlist w/Roger:

Nazis 1994/Radio Ga Ga/Rock and Roll

07/01/95 - John Deacon (w/SAS BAND)
Shepherds Bush Empire - London, UK
Setlist w/John:

My Girl/634-5789/Crazy Little Thing Called Love

NOTE - A rare John Deacon live appearance! Unfortunately no footage/audio escaped!

09/22/95 - Brian May (w/Zucchero)
Bologna, Italy
Setlist w/Brian: Lost Opportunity (Instrumental)/A Whiter Shade of Pale/Madre Dolcissima

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uht8x8qGwM[/youtube]

- Brian with good friend Zucchero. Again Zucchero and Queen would work together on and off as Zucchero is a big Queen fan.

NEXT? 1996 was not a very busy year for the band or it's members. I believe both Brian and Roger were thinking about their next solo projects for a bit. BUT Brian did get into the studio for a few bits, most importantly helped provide two songs for the film, The Adventures of Pinocchio, one of which is one of Brian's most underrated gems!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm

The Adventures of Pinocchio

Brian was asked to provide a few tracks for the film The Adventures Of Pinocchio. He went at it with typical Brian aplomb, not only writing a love theme, What Are We Made Of but also taking part in the operatic sequence.

Il Colosso

Written by: Brian May (music and lyrics) and Lee Holdridge (music)

Musicians:

Brian May - vocals, guitars, keyboards, programming, orchestral arrangements
Just William - vocals
Sissel - vocals
Jerry Hadley - vocals
Gary Martin - vocals
Pete Maladrone - vocals
Justin Shirley-Smith - vocals
Jim Beach - vocals
Julie Glover - vocals
Peter Locke - vocals
Robert Lee - vocals
Suzanne DeBarry - vocals
Lee Holdridge - orchestral arrangements
Ira Hearshen - orchestral arrangements
Larry Kenton - orchestral arrangements

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYIFN0aifk[/youtube]
No to tyranny
He shall not have his pleasure
The goodness shall prevail

No to fillany
He'll save our greatest treasure
In this we can not
In this we can not fail

My dearest daughter
Will no-one save her
Ah, my kingdom
He offers half his kingdom
And no-one dare to save me from the hassles

I will

Now all the world is waiting (all)
The maiden I must save (the world is)
Don't wait, no hesitating (waiting)
If only I were brave (and now is the hour)

This time I must be the hero
It's my call, that's my fate
It's everything or nothing
Look out he's coming through

I'll save you princess
Puny peasants
No

Behold the giant
He stands out proud, defiant
The princess shall be mine
She will be mine
Who next?

Hey you up there, with the b-b-beard

Oh, I was made of freedom
Nobody pulls my strings
A knight can equal any man
In all the grown up things

Oh, I was made of mischief
They tell me I must learn
But nothing is coincidence
Whichever way I turn

And I will do or die
For I know one thing after all
The bigger any giant comes
The harder he may fall

My hero
He saved me
My hero, my hero, my hero, my hero, my hero, my hero

Hail the hero
At last we have a hero
So I'm told he is only a p-p-p-peasant

Only a peasant
He's nothing but a peasant
He's so daring and handsome and charming
But a peasant - how very alarming

He's so clever and brave and heroic
But those peasants, they're all protozoic

Altogether we dance and play
We're bright and gay, aloud, hooray
Altogether we greet the day
Colossus is no more
Altogether we celebrate the very hills reverberate
To the heavens we elevate
The hero we adore

All of a sudden the world is light
The sun is up and shining bright
All of a sudden the birds do sing
And spring is at the door

All together in harmony
In chorus song and symphony
All together the angels sing
The giant is no more

What are we made of
Can we know what we will be
What are the chances
I can find a better path
A better life
A better me

What are we made of
Is it written in the sand
Where are we sailing
To a strange and distant land
Take my hand and sail with me

What are we made of
If you think you know the answer
Turn around, think again

No! A monster
A fire breathing monster
At last we are undone

Hail the general
He'll make his work indelible
And now the chosen fun
Has begun

Stand for justice
Stand for honour
Stand with courage (we will)
Stand with valour (we will)

Ahh-ahhh, ahh-ahhh
Ahh-ahh-ahh
Ahh-ahhh, ahh-ahhh
Ahh-ahh-ahh

Hail the general
Here comes the mighty general
He will tend to
He must tend to
He must tend to

Oh, I was made of
So I was made of
I am made of

What are we made of
Just for this moment take your life into your hands
You will decide
What you are made of
What it is that I can be
Think again, my friend
Turn around, think again

- This is the puppet show that Pinocchio does and it is spectacular. The Just William who is credited is really Brian's voice sped up a ton to sound like a young child.

ALTERNATIVE:

ORIGINAL VOCAL DEMO
NO YT VID
- This is actually a very cool think to track down featuring far more of Brian's vocals and Just's voice slowed down a bit.

PERSONAL NOTES: I love it in that it hearkens back to A Night At The Opera days. Really bombastic and over the top. However it's the next track that I am amazed at.

What Are We Made Of

Written by: Brian May

Musicians:

Brian May - lead and backing vocals, guitars, keyboards, programming, orchestral arrangements
Sissel - lead vocals
Cathy Porter - backing vocals
Lee Holdridge - orchestral arrangements

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPhgdrEOOg[/youtube]
What are we made of?
Can we know what we will be?
(What are we made of?)
Think again

There's a wind of change is blowing
There's a fire deep inside
There's a place we could be going
If we could only get it right
And the river keeps on flowing
And the morning lights the sky
But if they said it would be easy
I guess they must have lied

What are we made of?
What are the chances
I can find a better path, a better life, a better me?
(What are we made of?)
If you think you know the answer
Turn around, think again

Whatever were you thinking?
Could you turn you life around?
When you know your world is sinking
Can you find the solid ground?
Is there really a road to heaven?
We'll find it
And a road leads down below
Some way, somewhere
Does anything really matter?
If only we could know

What are we made of?
Is it written in the sand?
Where are we sailing?
To a strange and distant land
Take my hand, sail with me

(What are we made of?)
Because I have to understand

What are we made of?
What are the chances
There's a place for you and me?

(What are we made of?)
Just for this moment, take your life into your hands
You'll decide what you are made of
What it is that you can be
Think again, my friend
Turn around, think again.

- A power ballad duet with Dutch artist, Sissell.
- Interestingly the lyrics in the booklet are completely different than those recorded.
- Orchestral arrangements by Lee Holdridge.

PERSONAL NOTES: This is a beautiful track. VERY powerful stuff here. Brian's vocals are great and works well with Sissell.

NEXT? Brian's collaborations from 1996
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:33 pm

1996 MISCELLANEOUS COLLABORATIONS

Brian only and there are two.

Status Quo - Raining In My Heart

Written by: Felice and Boudleaux Bryant

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NTCKewGoIs[/youtube]
The sun is out - the sky is blue
there’s not a cloud to spoil the view
but it’s raining - raining in my heart

The weather man says clear today
he doesn’t know you’ve gone away
and it’s raining - raining in my heart

Oh, misery - misery
what’s gonna become of me

I tell my blues they mustn’t show
but soon these tears are bound to flow
cause it’s raining - raining in my heart

But it’s raining - raining in my heart

And it’s raining - raining in my heart

- A cover of a Buddy Holly track
- Brian guested with friends from Status Quo and also performed it live in front of Status Quo's fan club.

PERSONAL NOTES: Status Quo are what they are and what they are is a good rock band. I'd never really getting obsessed with them, but they are nice to hear now and again. This is a nice Buddy Holly ballad with some nice Brian guest spots.

Rock Therapy - Reaching Out

Written by: Don Black/Andy Hill

Rock Therapy was a one off supergroup featuring Paul Rodgers, Brian May (continuing that partnership) and Charlie Watts (drummer with the Rolling Stones). The group was formed in aid of the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Centre, which helps special needs children to communicate through the medium of music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJ_mlrVLug[/youtube]
Lately, I've been hard to reach
I've been too long on my own
Everybody has a private world
Where they can be alone

Are you calling me?
Are you trying to get through?
Are you reaching out for me
Like I'm reaching out for you?

One way conversations
Going on inside my head
Everybody has a secret world
Where too much is unsaid

Are you calling me?
(Oooh, oooh, oooh) are you reaching out for me

Give me your hand
One touch is all that it takes (oooh, ooh, ooh)
Ain't it funny how just one touch
Can make up for all of our mistakes (oooh, ooh, ooh, ooh-ooh)

Lately, I've been hard to reach
I've been too long on my own
Everybody has a private world
Where they can be alone

Are you calling me?
Are you reaching out for me

- Issued as a single though it did not chart
- A snippet was used to open up the first leg of the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour. Spike would play a keyboard behind the scenes as Paul sang by himself in front of the curtain. Brian would join him before they burst into Tie Your Mother Down
- The Return of the Champions version was sampled by Eminem in 2009 for his song, Beautiful

ALTERNATIVE VERSIONS:

INSTRUMENTAL VERSION
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMnNZqwfD8[/youtube]
- Purely instrumental version.

ACOUSTIC VERSION
NOT NEEDED AS IT IS WITHOUT BRIAN

QPR - LIVE IN 2005
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YVJ8j6jmR4[/youtube]
- Great opening to the show

PERSONAL NOTES:
BEAUTIFUL track for a great charity. It also made for a really nice opener to the show and interesting to watch the Brian/Paul partnership continue to work.

NEXT? 1996 Live - Not much to be honest but we'll see...
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:10 pm

1996 LIVE

There was no tour from any band member this year (or next for that matter) so we are left with a handful of one-offs!

??/??/96 - Brian May w/Paul Rodgers
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Setlist (w/Brian):

A Little Bit Of Love/All Right Now/Crossroads/Hoochie Coochie Man

It is not known when this gig was but it was definitely 1996 and once again Paul Rodgers rears his head.  Perhaps it's much easier to see how organically Paul eventually worked with Queen as it was a long time coming due to various collaborations.  It is also possibly another reason why he was accepted a bit more than AL.

01/28/96 - Brian May w/Status Quo
Brixton Academy - London, UK
Setlist (w/Brian):

FBI/Rock and Roll Medley (Bye Bye Johnny ?)

At a Status Quo fan club special appearance celebrating their new album, Brian showed up to film a video for Raining In My Heart.  He stuck around to perform a few pieces with the boys.

07/12/96 - Brian May w/Zucchero
Auditorium Stravinski - Montreux, Switzerland
Setlist (w/Brian):

Madre Dolcissima (Mama)

Another appearance by Brian with good friend Zucchero. This would also become a bit of tradition between these two and Zucchero would more and more work on some Queen related projects.

12/??/96 - Roger Taylor w/SAS Band
Asotria Theatre - London, UK
Setlist (w/Roger):

?

All that is known is that this was a private Virgin Records gig. No idea what was played but Rog was there.

12/13/96 - Roger Taylor w/SAS Band
Chiddingfold Club - Chiddingfold, UK
Setlist (w/Roger):

Rock and Roll/That's the Way God Planned It

A Christmastime gig with the SAS Band. Roger would do plenty of these over the years. In this case he performed the Led Zeppelin classic Rock And Roll (a song which would become a bit of a staple cover of his over the years) and the Billy Preston classic That's The Way God Planned It which would get more significance in 1997!

NEXT? We journey into 1997! A year with a cool Queen-related SAS studio recording...and then what some people would consider the final Queen song.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:19 am

THE SAS BAND - That's The Way God Planned It

Written by: Billy Preston

QUEEN RELATED MUSICIANS:

Roger Taylor - Drums, backing vocals, lead vocals on a verse
John Deacon - Bass

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzL3sSmCoWg[/youtube]
Why can't we be normal
Why can't we be normal
Like the good Lord said
He promised to exhalt us
The law is the way

How can men be so greedy
When there's so much there
All the things that God's given
And they all have been blessed

That's the way God planned it
That's the way God wants it to be, yeah
That's the way God wants it to be, yeah

Don't let your heart be troubled
Let the moment inside us loose
There to help one another
And live in perfect peace

If we just be humble
Like the good Lord says, yeah
He promised to exhalt us
And love is the way

That's the way God wants it to be, be, ooh, yeah
That's the way God wants it to be, be
Yeah

I hope you'll get this message
Where you won't others will
You don't understand it
But I

That's the way God wants it to be, be, yeah
That's the way God wants it to be, be, yeah, yeah

That's the way God wants it to be, be, oh
That's the way God wants it to be, be, oh, oh, oh, wow

That's the way God wants it to be, be
Oh, yeah, yeah, oh, wow, wow
That's the way

- Not sure how Spike convinced the anti-religious Taylor to sing on this but he did!
- A great Billy Preston song, and a rare appearance by Mr. Deacon.

PERSONAL NOTES: One of my favorite Queen collaborations. Billy Preston wrote a ton of great songs and this is one of them. I love Rog's vocals on this as well.

NEXT? The final Queen song, No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:51 pm

No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)

Written by: Brian May

Musicians:

Brian May - lead and backing vocals, piano, guitar
Roger Taylor - lead and backing vocals, drums

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRawbdIhfI[/youtube]
A hand above the water
An angel reaching for the sky
Is it raining in heaven
Do you want us to cry?

And everywhere the broken-hearted
On every lonely avenue
No-one could reach them
No-one but you

One by one
Only the good die young
They're only flying too close to the sun
And life goes on
Without you

Another tricky situation
I get to drowning in the blues
And I find myself thinking
Well, what would you do?

Yes, it was such an operation
Forever paying every due
Hell, you made a sensation (sensation)
You found a way through (found a way through)

One by one
Only the good die young
We'll remember
Forever

And now the party must be over
I guess we'll never understand
The sense of your leaving
Was it the way it was planned?

So we grace another table
And raise our glasses one more time
There's a face at the window
And I ain't never, never saying goodbye

One by one
Only the good die young
Crying for nothing
Crying for no-one
No-one but you

- Issued as a single backed with ‘Princes of The Universe’ but was withdrawn and then after demand released as a Double-A single with ‘Tie Your Mother Down’ backed with ‘We Will Rock You (Ruined By Rick Rubin)’ and ‘Gimme The Prize (Instrumental Remix)’ in January 1998 in the UK (where it hit #13).

- Originally intended for a Brian solo project. Brian gave a copy to Roger who proceeded to put it in a drawer and forget about it for a few months. When Roger finally listened to it, he felt it was important to do it as Queen. He convinced Brian and the three surviving members then recorded it and released it on the Queen Rocks compilation

- Performed live by Brian during his Another World tour and on several occasions with Roger during various Queen reincarnations.

- The final studio recording by the three surviving members of Queen. John Deacon's last released studio effort to date.

QUOTES:

"I kind of thought that everybody knew that story, but I should perhaps mention it, because it was part of the inspiration of the song really. It's a Greek myth in which Daedalus and Icarus, his son, are imprisoned in a castle, and the only way out is upwards, as they're in the middle of the sea. So they make wings out of feathers, birds feathers and wax, and attach them to themselves, and they fly out and escape the castle. I think it's on Crete, and the legend says that Icarus was so excited and exulted, that he flew too high, too close to the sun, and his wax melted and he fell into the sea. So it's a very interesting symbolic tale that has a lot to do with the song, as you will realise when you hear it."

– Brian May – 11/16/97 – Pop On The Line

“It was written as sort of a tribute to Freddie and before long I became aware I was trying to make it sound very Queen-like. There are some musical and verbal quotes in there and I thought, ‘if it’s going to sound like Queen, maybe it ought to be Queen.’ I sent the track to Roger and he loved it and said we had to do it. Although I lost that track from my album, it worked out alright in the end; it was the final thing that made me realize I was on the wrong track for my album anyway.”

– Brian May – Guitarist – 1998

“(Roger) put it away in a drawer somewhere cause he was busy or whatever, and it was months later when he phoned up suddenly, excited and said ‘I just listened to the track and it’s amazing, and we have to do it as a Queen song!’”

– Brian May

THE MAKING OF:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKYpoLfCA8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpMguyrHHYs[/youtube]

LIVE VERSIONS

BRIAN MAY - LIVE 1998 - WARSAW
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsa6VnT0RFQ[/youtube]
- On his Another World Tour - this vid also includes Brian's cover of Mott The Hoople's All The Way From Memphis

QUEEN - LIVE 2002 - AMSTERDAM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJi24RTfk88[/youtube]
- Really the only time that Queen did it. Brian did it a lot on his solo tour and of course resurrected it with Kerry Ellis (that's a different project though) but this is a great time with Roger actually singing with Brian so it's a nice one off.

PERSONAL NOTES: This is an amazing song. It's simple but beautiful. It would gain even more life later on with Kerry and in the musical. I would love to see QAL do this with perhaps each of them taking a verse!

NEXT? 1997 LIVE! Another year of non-touring but some interesting miscellaneous appearances including John's last stand!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Drunken Irish Picnic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 am

***EoA*** <--------"Elephants on Amphetamines"
Can't Hang's 2009 Album - Ride The Lightrail
A.K.A. The Bodacious Boob of Dubious Sobriety, Composer of Leonard Shelby Love Songs, and Knight of the BYS
“I have eschewed Royal vessels; not merely municipal customs galleys, keep thee in mind. I speak now of the commodious British Warships-of-the-line. She is sufficiently mercurial for thee, thou aged fellow!” -Han "Frizzibald" Solo III
Drunken Irish Picnic
Thief

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:15 am

LOL!!! I've never seen that or even put 2 and 2 together with that..that's great :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

PreviousNext

Return to Media