Death of Peter Parker

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Death of Peter Parker

Postby Sarc » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm

So I just recently got back into collecting comics about 2yrs ago, though its mostly just back issues of what I collected as a kid, so in essence '90 and before. The only modern comics I collect are Walking Dead, Captain America, and The Punisher. That being said I saw that Amazing Spider-man #700 was coming out today so I figured, what the hell, and decided to pick up the issue.

I figured they'd do some bombshell thing what with it being the #700th issue and all, looks like they killed off Peter Parker. Like I said I haven't technically read an issue of Amazing Spiderman since something like Issue #340 so I have no idea what is going on, looks like Doctor Octopus and Parker switched minds at some point in the last couple of issues which sucked for Parker since Octopus was dying. Wonder if they're going to bring him back at some point though.

Last page said that this was the last issue and that a new series "Superior Spider-man" will be starting in February. Apparently Octopus is going to be a semi good guy as Parker's brain pattern imprint/memories are still there.

This is kinda why I quit collecting, they started doing stupid ass shit. One of the only reasons I read/collect Walking Dead is that the art isn't over the top and it's written well.

Thoughts?
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Re: Death of Peter Parker

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Marvel has made big changes with many of its flagship titles, and in many ways some of those big changes ultimately helped the titles far more than leaving them as is was. For instance, in X-Men #94, the whole team except Cyclops left, and the new team with Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Storm took over under the direction of writer Chris Claremont. If it weren't for that decision, the X-Men would have just been another forgotten campy 60's title and the characters would be reappropriated into various cameos (or join the Avengers as Beast did) and then vanish into obscurity.

Sometimes change is a good thing.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Captain Obvious » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm a bit surprised about it.

To hear that Doc Ock will be Spider Man is even stranger.

How did PP die?
Fairness is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Captain Obvious
No Title Needed

Postby Ney » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Spiderman also died in the ultimate spiderman. They replaced him with someone else.

To be fair.. most of these comics should be laid to rest to let new, badass ones arise in my opinion.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Emperor Mickey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:23 pm

This is why I stopped reading comics... they kill off and resurrect characters all the f*ing time anymore. BORING!! At some point they will bring back Peter Parker and make a big deal out of it and sell more comics. I heard in the DC camp that Bruce Wayne is too old or died and Dick Grayson is now Batman... who knows...

I think it would be better if DC & Marvel had a line of comics that are "classics", in that you don't kill off the main character in them. Then do another line, or lines, of comics in the same universe and go nuts. That way, in this case, the Parker fans can still read his adventures and the folks who want something different can read the other issues. It's not like they haven't done other worldly or parallel universe comics before.

And no more reboots, Civil Wars, end of worlds or anything else for at least 10 years! Every time I start to follow a story, it goes to crap and they start at issue #1 again. :))
The proud new owner of Star Wars... now to make some GOOD movies for a change!
Emperor Mickey
Thief

Postby Sarc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Exactly. What I'm running into is the fact that since I basically haven't read anything since '92 I have absolutely no freaking idea wtf is going on.......

The whole starting over with a new series seems to be frustrating, they just want to sell more #1 issues in my opinion. Don't get me started on variants........I'm a completist....or at least I "used" to be. No freaking way.....
My favorite day: 02/25/95
My least favorite day: 12/18/03

Salmon, the other Pink meat.......
Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood....
Sarc
Scoundrel

Return to Media