Doctor Who

Film, TV, Books, Music and Gaming that doesn't involve the Galaxy Far Far Away.

Doctor Who

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGbsNIZ-uo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NZx2mvL7U[/youtube]

Let me just get this out here--I love Doctor Who, and pretty much have since I first watched Series One of the new series. It even spurred on mass watchings of the old series, for which I had grown a great appreciation for (despite the horrible special effects, thick coatings of camp, and re-used quarry sets) thanks to occasional super-stellar writing and the ever-consistent fun/adventure/suspense of the show. Of the classic Doctors, my favorites are Four, Two, Five, and Seven. Of the current Doctors, my favorites are Nine, Ten, and Eleven. :D

All in all, I think it is one of the best ever times to be a Doctor Who fan. We have one of the best all-time showrunners (Steven Moffat -- though he arguably is far better as a writer under a different showrunner [See: Blink, Girl In The Fireplace, The Empty Child/Doctor Dances] -- I still like him more than RTD anyways, Lets-Kill-Hitler aside, we've had no farting slitheen episodes anyways.

And we have arguably the best (though the others are top-shelf as well) of the Doctors in Matt Smith. He has managed to bring the spirit of the classic Doctors back into nu-Who in ways that Eccleston did not, and Tennant only scratched the surface on. Tennant was fun and charismatic, and occasionally would echo the darker "more than just a Time Lord" aspects of the mythos brought in during the later Classic days of Sylvester McCoy during his tenure (especially when RTD was writing his better stuff) but Matt Smith's eleventh Doctor seems much more in line with the classic regenerations. He's less of a 're-imagined' or 're-booted' Doctor, and more of ... well, The Doctor.

I still love 10, 9, and pretty much all of them but 6. And I've even grown a little bit of an appreciation for him. Sort of. I recognize he's the Doctor at least... he was just going thru a 'phase' :p

(P.S. I hate Torchwood, so if you wanna talk that, start another thread for it plz)
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Re: Doctor Who

Postby SarkaVrae » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 am

BEST. THREAD. EVAR! ;)

let me say that before I actually started paying attention to the re-booted series (being aired on BBCAmerica twice daily about two years ago), I only remembered faint and dark things about Doctor Who from my late night PBS watching as a kid. :P I LOVE Doctor Who, and other than those bits from my childhood, I haven't seen much of the original. I've seen all of the rebooted series completely through twice. I've seen my favorite episodes innumerable times. I love that Doctor Who embraces so many issues and can make me laugh & cry. It's extremely well written (mostly) and acted. I have an affinity for all three of the rebooted Doctors & my favorite companion to date is Donna. :D
Love many. Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.
SarkaVrae
Thief

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q7xbDpym0Q[/youtube]
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm excited about the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi. IMO, it's about time they let an older guy at the TARDIS controls again. Was getting worried that they'd cast Justin Bieber next. :p Capaldi is much more fitting of the legacy of the show, but I imagine the tumblr fangirls aren't pleased.

I drew a sketch of the Twelfth Doctor, though the outfit I put him in is probably more fitting of the Eleventh.

Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Ok when I was growing up, my cousin was a huge oldschool Dr. Who Fan and he brought me to a convention or two and told me about him...So I have some vague recollections of Tom Baker and that era.

I never did pay attention to the reboot...always in a passing maybe I'll watch this at some point.

Well I finally started (from the reboot in '05). I watched Chris' Doctor and loved him in the role. I'm about halfway through season 2 now with David Tenant and have to say I wasn't quite the fan in the first few episodes but now I think he owns the role...

I'll be catching up over the next few weeks as time dictates!
The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Well glad to hear there's another Whovian on the boards. :D I won't spoil too much of it :)
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 am

Into Season 4 now. David Tennant completely won me over. At first I wasn't a big fan of the change which I thought strange given how everyone seemed to love Tennant. But now I get why.

"Whuut? WHUUUUT?" I love it.

Just watched "Fires of Pompeii" last night. Great episode and very timely given who the guest star of the episode is :P
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Just finished the end of series 4! WOW! Great climactic ending! Tennant is really a phenomenal actor. I think the sometimes silliness of the Who keeps it from getting all the recognition it could get, but I love it.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Just remember to watch the specials between series 4 and 5. There's some interesting character development in there as well, especially in Waters of Mars, and End of Time covers the regeneration story that introduces Matt Smith.

As for the silliness, it wouldn't be Doctor Who without it. :)
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:17 pm

I won't forget :D I actually watched the first one and started Waters Of Mars last night (but was exhausted and conked out after about 15 minutes) so I'll continue that soon and then on to End Of Time and to Matt Smith...

But I'll be honest, I'm very sad to see Tennant go.......
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 am

Ok! Just finished season 6. ALMOST caught up! Loving it a ton! Smith definitely grew on me like Tennant...but if I am to be honest Tennant is still my favorite. . . Question though. I was a bit confused about the end. The doctor was so convinced about his death being a fixed point and time dying without his death but then he fakes his death to slip into the shadows....but how does that fix the while fixed point. I'm mean I get that it throws off the silence and his friends but shouldn't time still be fucked since he lives?
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Ok I think I figured it out after some thought. It wasn't the Doctor's death that was a fixed point it was the Silence (and the world) BELIEVING him dead that was the fixed point allowing the Doctor some breathing room.

Makes enough sense for me :P
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Caught up! Finished up the second half of season 7 last night and am ready for Nov. 23! What a fabulous escapist series :D
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:52 pm

So... any theories on John Hurt's Doctor?

My theory:
John Hurt is definitely the "8.5" Doctor, or rather--the ninth incarnation, making Chris Eccleston actually #10, Tennant #11, and Smith Twelve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2INBe_qZFo
"Somewhere between your Twelfth and Final Incarnation"

Meet the Big Bad of Series Eight -- THE VALEYARD. This was alluded to by name by the Great Intelligence in Name of the Doctor. John Hurt has accidentally tweeted (and has since remove such tweets) that he would be working with Peter Capaldi, shortly after Capaldi was announced.

The Valeyard was "conceived" in "Amy's Choice" where he manifested as the Dream Lord. He was given strength in Nightmare in Silver as "Mr. Clever" aka the Cyberplanner. He will be birthed somehow in the regeneration to Capaldi, and he will take the face the Doctor despises the most--his war-criminal incarnation.

This was what the Silence was trying to prevent--The birth of the Beast. Storm. The Valeyard. Vessel of the Final Darkness. Butcher of the Ten Billion...

This is all guesswork, but I was right about Melody Pond...
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:16 am

That is a great theory! I too believed that John Hurt was the 9th Doctor as in the 50th anniversary they would try to find a way to connect the classic with the new so why not create a new link of sorts. Your Valeyard addition adds credence to that as well.
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:24 pm

MUST SEE 7-Minute Prequel to Day of the Doctor :O
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo[/youtube]

And a clip from the coming special:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn9Ss9rZMcU[/youtube]
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 am

the prequel was amazing! I actually never saw the McGann one off but I want to now...Either way I'm surprised such a big mythos spoiler was handled in a mini-sode but I loved it! B-)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm

The movie sucked (and is cited among the fandom as why Doctor Who should never be an American production), but the Big Finish audiobooks are awesome. And now they're canon, as Paul name-dropped all of his audiobook-era companions. (Charley, C'rizz, Tamsin, Lucie Miller, and Molly)
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Cool for fans then :D Maybe I'll check those out if I can find the time!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:43 pm

What did everyone think? I liked a lot of the little nods and the cameos were GREAT! It was a well crafted effort overall...

No...all 13!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 pm

I loved the 50th anniversary. I'd say it was worth the wait. It was also cool seeing the ... um... Capaldi Doctor's (I'm not sure how to number them anymore, with Hurt being the real Ninth Doctor and all, now) short little cameo.

Thing is... Moffat's now saying the Metacrisis regeneration from Stolen Planet/Journey's End *counts* as well, making Matt's Doctor the one who is out of regenerations. Then again, due to Moffat's love for the old 'kill spoilers with disinformation' tactic, he's not the most reliable source for spoiler info.

Christmas will be interesting, to say the least. B-)

Also... Tom Baker as a *future* Doctor? (Revisiting the old favorites) Very interesting...
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:21 pm

I think the numbers actually hold up if what I read is correct. John Hurt is the War Doctor which was so special and different that it was outside the numbered ones.. So I think whether it is correct or not you still number them the same way...

AND I think there are plenty of outs to explain away the (formerly as it will be) twelve regenerations....

You know if they were smart they would have written and filmed a bit of Baker now for a final Dr Who scene a long time in the future....thinking ahead ;)
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby soxtalon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Any thoughts on the Smith swansong?

It wasn't bad. It definitely meandered a bit in the middle. There were also a few too many quick tie ups for my liking...and I guess it's more important that he have a new cycle of regeneration rather than how but who knew the answer would be that because his companion asked for it.

HOWEVER, despite the lacking material, Matt Smith's performance was among his very best he's done and his final speech was a note perfect performance...and Capaldi's entrance was very intriguing indeed.

So while it wasn't a home run, it was definitely a worthwhile view.

What really hit home to me though is how Smith/Coleman never did synch up as a good Dr/Companion team. They just don't have the chemistry. Some of that is down to Coleman having lesser material, some of it is trying to follow in the footsteps of Smith/Gillan which was one of the best teams (with Rory as well). And I think it hope to just about everyone...as it was quite obvious that they didn't have the emotional weight at the end and needed the...cameo at the end to really work.

Here's to hoping that not only is Capaldi successful (and I think he will be) but that Capaldi/Coleman find a good give and take
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:21 am

I'm really not all that impressed with the Christmas special. I didn't hate it per se, but it definitely fell short of my expectations.

I'm kind of torn on Jenna Coleman. You're right about the dissharmony in the chemistry between Smith and Coleman, but I dunno... Eleven flirting back and forth with Coleman always felt a little... creepy? I dunno. I think the Doc should keep his hands off the Earth Girls for a while. Now that he's looking older again, perhaps I shall get my wish.

I've read on a Who forum elsewhere that Coleman will be leaving mid-Series Eight. Just a rumor, leave it at that...

I for one think that since the Search for Gallifrey is the new arc, perhaps it's time for a new regeneration of Romana. The Doctor needs to travel with a real peer for a while, I think.
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby soxtalon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:29 pm

I think the reason it was creepy was because it felt forced down our throat. It wasn't a natural give and take - it was almost as if they forced the issue to try to get the chemistry going...

I'd like to give Coleman a full season with Capaldi to see how that goes and then see. Romana might be a nice addition!
soxtalon
The Darknes of the Light

Next

Return to Media