The Website Builder's Thread

Users creative works - Stories, Poetry, Artwork, Films, anything you want to showcase!

The Website Builder's Thread

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 am

So, over the past couple of years I've made a ton of websites with a ton of different ideas...I can't seem to keep my focus on just one topic or idea, so I decided to register a domain name that wasn't specific to a certain topic. Seen here:

http://james81.com/

Right now, I've got some personal development stuff on it, but after a few years of that shit, I'm really getting tired of personal development stuff. But I'm not sure which direction to go into now. The idea is that I'd love to create some sort of niche website that would eventually earn me a passive income on the intrawebz, but my problem, as always, is keeping focused on any one thing long enough to build traffic.

So, in this thread I will talk about some of the stuff I'm doing because I've found that having a thread about it somewhere actually keeps me more focused.

But, this thread is not just for me...it's for any of you who also have websites and/or are interested in building websites for passive income. Let's talk about it in this thread. Not sure which forum was best for this, so I put it here.
All this polo I'm wearin', I got horsepower. -- 2Chainz
Viper
Thief

Re: The Website Builder's Thread

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 am

That's a pretty interesting site. Typically if you're going to make money on a site you need to be providing a service that's worthy of using advertising to generate income.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Emperor's Prize » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:05 am

Internet income is negligible ... unless you manage to catch that bolt of lightning and create something that transcends a blog. Dauntlessmedia.net has been running uninterrupted since 2007, and my traffic is pretty consistent (and numerous). But it's nowhere near the level that would generate a positive income (after costs for hosting and domain registration are factored in). If you want to make money, you'll need a truly unique concept - and one that you can implement better than the competition. That means not only having the idea, but the coding acumen to get it done (you can outsource the coding, but that's another financial investment).

At this point, I view a web presence as a loss-lead. In addition to Dauntlessmedia, I currently run AndiraChronicles.com and SamuelWalters.info - all of which are designed to increase my online presence and promotional capacities for when I finally get published.
If you ever have the chance for redemption, take it. Without hesitation.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:05 am

Salty wrote:That's a pretty interesting site. Typically if you're going to make money on a site you need to be providing a service that's worthy of using advertising to generate income.

Yeah, that's the idea I'm after. Creating an information-based website of some kind where I can grow traffic that I could put up some ads and also sell affiliate products.
Viper
Thief

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:09 am

It's not just ad revenue either. You could provide an actual service although I don't have any ideas of what that could be. Everything that Sam said is dead on too.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:10 am

Emperor's Prize wrote:Internet income is negligible ... unless you manage to catch that bolt of lightning and create something that transcends a blog. Dauntlessmedia.net has been running uninterrupted since 2007, and my traffic is pretty consistent (and numerous). But it's nowhere near the level that would generate a positive income (after costs for hosting and domain registration are factored in). If you want to make money, you'll need a truly unique concept - and one that you can implement better than the competition. That means not only having the idea, but the coding acumen to get it done (you can outsource the coding, but that's another financial investment).

At this point, I view a web presence as a loss-lead. In addition to Dauntlessmedia, I currently run AndiraChronicles.com and SamuelWalters.info - all of which are designed to increase my online presence and promotional capacities for when I finally get published.

You should check out this place: http://buildit.sitesell.com/

They sell an "all in one" kind of webhosting + educational thing where people build their sites through them for the sole purpose of building traffic and creating passive income online. I actually had an account with them at one point and I used it merely to get access to their educational stuff on SEO, building traffic, etc. Then I dumped it because their CMS sucked monkey balls. :p

I'm not necessarily looking for the "bolt of lighning" rise to fame and fortune thing here. I'm just looking for a site that I can consistently build more and more traffic to over time so that it becomes a decent supplement to my income. Sure, I'd love it if it took off and became ultra successful and made me booku money, but that's not really the goal.

There ARE lots of people out there generating income from online information sites, and I've been researching how they do it for years. My problem is a problem of focus. I can't keep focused on one thing long enough to make it worth a shit. :p
Viper
Thief

Postby Emperor's Prize » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:24 am

Well, my review site was originally intended to be "a site that I can consistently build more and more traffic to over time." And you know, it worked. I interviewed and spoke with producers, writers, actors. Had one of the creators of Legend of the Seeker personally thank me for my efforts on behalf of the show. But it was years in the making. I suppose if I had kept with it, I would have broken through. But I eventually decided I needed to create my own content, rather than just comment on someone else's.

If you can manage that trick, you'll be golden.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am

Regardless of what you come up with you'll have to put in the time to make it successful.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Emperor's Prize » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 am

This is true. The investment in time - unless you catch that lightning bolt - is no small thing.
Emperor's Prize
Failed Hero

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:36 am

Salty wrote:Regardless of what you come up with you'll have to put in the time to make it successful.

True that. I'm not looking for a get rich quick thing or anything like that. Right now I'm sort of in planning stages with this as I know my schedule for this year is unbelievably hectic. But I will now have summers off and in future years I don't think things will be nearly as hectic for me teaching wise.

The way I see it...I love to write, and it seems to me like the internet is kind of destroying the published books world. Not that that will ever totally go away, but nowadays it seems that using the internet is becoming more and more of the writer's medium than traditional publishing.
Viper
Thief

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:37 am

Over the summer last year (when I wasn't working) I was also spending time trying to teach myself C++ and some programming stuff. I want to eventually return to that as well as I actually enjoyed learning it.
Viper
Thief

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 am

C++ is as good a language to learn as any. Java isn't bad either.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Viper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 am

Yeah, I'd like to learn C++, Java, and PHP (the big three these days it seems). I can see how learning C++ is something that is going to take some time though.
Viper
Thief

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 am

I really need to learn how to program.
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Salty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Nah, your programming is fine. It's documentation you need to work on.

:p
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Lord Tuvitor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Touche. :p
You *BELCH* y-you Cronenberged Phatooine! Real good, Morty!
Lord Tuvitor
Of Dimension C-137

Postby Ney » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Viper wrote:Yeah, I'd like to learn C++, Java, and PHP (the big three these days it seems). I can see how learning C++ is something that is going to take some time though.

Currently if you want to go anywhere in the programming world you should learn either Ruby, C# or Java. Anything else isn't utilised much and won't help you. That being said, PHP is an okay starter language but isn't used by modern corporations since you can write 1/4 the code in Ruby to do the same as PHP. C++ is an ok base to all of these but isn't used and isn't practical. Java would be the one to go for if you want the academic C++ experience.

If you really want a good foundation on any of the above I'd recommend: http://www.codeschool.com/ + http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ + http://tryruby.org and any kind of class you can find on https://www.coursera.org/

Viper, I went through your site and this is just honest criticism (how I'd criticize someone working under me or a potential interviewee) from someone who's main job is to code stuff like this. It'll probably be the harshest criticism you'll find and I'm more than happy to give advice on how to correct mistakes.

So, I'm a professional web developer and I decided to peruse your site. First off - the 30+ second loading time on Firefox and Chrome is a strike. IE10 loaded up just fine. This happens because of how many includes you have (3 for Javascript, 1 for Flash, etc). Most modern browsers parse all of the includes before linking to any page... and if I were a casual user and your page took that long to load I'd look elsewhere. Second - if you're going to use Wordpress you need to use every feature. On the footer of your theme you don't have any tags linked in (usually because many blog authors do not put them in). Most of your SEO will come from those tags. Finally - the killer - your javascript hover menus under Articles (in your menubar)! The CSS looks awful and there's about a 10 pixel blank gap between each item (looks like something isn't filling). I'd chalk this up to the theme you're using. Something else to think about - those don't work on tablets/mobile browsers because nothing hovers over. They were really cool until a few years ago; now they're just frustrating to any sort of mobile user.
roar said the dinosaur who after the impact could do no more
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Viper » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks for your input. I had no idea that it took so long to load on other browsers. How do I fix the includes issue?

As far as a programming language, I chose c++ because I want to try to develop some applications. I use wordpress mainly because I'm not interested to much in programming for websites.
Viper
Thief

Postby Ney » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 am

Viper wrote:Thanks for your input. I had no idea that it took so long to load on other browsers. How do I fix the includes issue?

As far as a programming language, I chose c++ because I want to try to develop some applications. I use wordpress mainly because I'm not interested to much in programming for websites.

C++ will limit you to only developing desktop applications on Windows/Linux. I don't Java is cross-platform as is C#.. and both share the same language base (you can port code between the three with no problem). C++ isn't used much anymore - it ins't a legacy language yet like PASCAL and the original BASIC but it is close. If you want to learn a base language I'd strongly encourage you to learn Java or C# - they both have more of an object oriented focus (which is a big deal nowadays) and are portable anywhere to anything (from a phone to a web app to a desktop app).

As for the include issues - you had 3 Javascript libraries (1 was jquery which is fine); you could combine the other two into one file just to save on load time. The rest - your stylesheets were kind of disorganized. Generally it is best practice to put all stylesheet data in one file (and pull it out of the HTML file completely) and just do an include.

The only way to cut down on load times other than that is to use less javascript (your menubar takes up a lot of resources).

Everything else was fine, though.
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Postby Viper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 am

Basically, I could fix all of it if I found a new theme. Lol.
Viper
Thief

Postby Salty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 am

Assuming the new theme was correct.
[face_muhaha]
Salty
Shadow Tech

Postby Viper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 am

Ok, I changed the theme (figured that would be the easiest way to take care of all that). How's that one loading? Better?
Viper
Thief

Postby Ney » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:17 am

Way better! Yeah, less junk in the header to get in the way. :)
Ney
coffee coffee coffee

Return to The Canvas